Para 3 vs paramilitary 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Outdrfrk

Para 3 vs paramilitary 2

Post by Outdrfrk »

I’m thinking on getting both the paramilitary 2 and the para3 to fill out my edc requirements, basically medium use cutting through moderately tough materials. Sharpening is not an issue with harder blades. What I’m thinking is s110v on the para 3 and s30v on the paramilitary 2, what I’m looking for is feedback from anyone who has experience with both steels on both models, thoughts, regrets, plans for future purchases, anything really pertaining to those specific models.
JonLeBlanc

Re: Para 3 vs paramilitary 2

Post by JonLeBlanc »

I have an S30V Para3 and an S110V PM2 and they are both great knives. No regrets. One thing I notice about them is that the Para3 when "choked up" w the choil seems to fit my hand better than the PM2 choked up. That said I prefer the PM2 bc it's the perfect size for my needs. Regarding future plans (which have already occurred lol), that was to score a few variants in different steels, and my absolute favorite in every respect is the 52100 PM2. The fit and finish is like some German machine, it gives me the knife version of fahrvergnügen haha.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Mstach07

Post by Mstach07 »

I’ve owned both. Still have the para 3. This model fits all my needs. The s110v is a great steel for my primary cutting; cardboard. I’ve sold all my PM2s for the para 3 bc of the ergonomics. I like the sense of control I receive from the shorter blade. However, I’m really happy with CTS XHP Para 3. Seems to have the perfect all-around qualities I desire in blade steel.
Ric

Post by Ric »

I have both.
PM2 first. It was good but too big and heavy as my EDC.

Then the Para 3 came out and it was perfect.
It's a bit smaller but as I am now used to it the PM2 feels too big.

I prefer the Para 3.
Please check out the Mantra 3. you might like it.

Try to get both models in hand. Then decide for one and buy different steels.
anycal

Post by anycal »

Peter
Forest Green

Post by Forest Green »

The Para 2&3 are by far may favs of all my fifty some knives. Maxamet is my favorite blade, closely followed by s90v, m390, 52100. I have had only a Native 5 in s110v, it was my least favorite Spyderco, didn't stay super sharp very long.
The smooth compression lock action, open back, & blade geometry keep me coming back for more.
Danvp

Post by Danvp »

Both models are perfectly fine to use as edc knives. The main difference is their size. That’s a good and a bad thing. Closed in my pocket the para 3 is less noticable than the PM2. In use however i appreciate the langer bladelength of the PM2. Except for some tasks where you need much knife control. There the para 3 excels. Both models fit my hand perfectly and have great ergonomics.
About bladesteel, there is a reason why s30v is used a lot by spyderco. It is a very good all around steel. It is less wear resistent than s110v, but makes up for it in ease of sharpening. I for one underestimated this steel bc of the mainstream character.
S110v is great to. However in my experience don’t expect it to be hair wittling sharp for a long time. It keeps a working edge almost forever. The razor sharpness dulls just as fast as s30v in my uses.

Must it be stainless? Otherwise you can also look into some other steel. I have been collecting different para 3 en pm2 sprints and exclusives this year (sorry guys i snatched them away :D ).

Anyway, can’t go wrong with both and maybe you end up having a lot more of them.
Outdrfrk

Post by Outdrfrk »

Rethinking having s110v at all and just going with s30v on both a para 3 and paramilitary 2, can’t say that price isn’t an option otherwise there would be one in 52100 already on my desk. Currently there’s a ukpk in s110v and a cts xhp chaparral sitting there which are both outstanding knives just a little small for what I have in mind.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Para3 can be a little cramped if you have big hands. I also love the Chaparral and it fits my hand very well, but the Para3 does not. From your above comment I would assume that the Para2 will fit your needs better as well.
Outdrfrk

Post by Outdrfrk »

Yeah I have an assortment of small knives with good steels but they’re not quite robust enough to perform all the tasks that one would hope for. Hard on knives I am, stupidly hard I am not. Looking to replace a buck 112 that’s being retired and adding a more robust small knife just cause I can. Been really satisfied with spyderco in general which is why the hair pulling over these two specific models, the mantra is a great knife but too similar to what I have, ditto on the caly. This really isn’t one versus the other because I’m getting both, just looking to optimize my choice.
Outdrfrk

Post by Outdrfrk »

Guess a better question would be is has anyone bought either one of these thinking,”man if it only had a blade in xxx steel it would be perfect”, yeah I know it’s a tall order subject to less than objective thinking but hey, such is life. Stainless means less to me than endurance. Greatly appreciate all the responses I appreciate every suggestion.
DBCOOPER

Post by DBCOOPER »

I like both knives the same, as I've gotten used to being able to hold smaller knives with my big hands, so I'll comment on steels, s110v is tough, but I've chipped it a couple times doing hard work as a groundskeeper, so if it's pure cutting I'd say go with s110v, tho it can handle hard use, I'd still choose s30v if your going to be real hard on it
I came here to cut sh#$ with my knives and chew bubblegum, and I'm all out of bubblegum
Outdrfrk

Post by Outdrfrk »

Some great replies and I want to thank everyone for taking the time to respond, ultimately what I’ve decided to do is replace the worker that I was careless enough to make unstable with a pm2 and hold off on the para 3 until later as it was more of an afterthought anyways.
So for all of you that were keeping score, pm 2!
Now to figure out which steel, doh!, definitely a different topic.
Thanks again
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I greatly prefer the para3, but think very highly of the pm2. I wear a large glove, the p3 gives me a full grip on and off the choil. All mine are tool steels or 52100, and I’ve never used spyderco’s s30v. After buying so many knives this year I let the XHP p3 pass me by, now wishing I hadn’t.
Outdrfrk

Post by Outdrfrk »

xhp is a really nice steel to work with, robust is a word that comes to mind, even I cannot mess it up (bonus) however my experience is with thinner blades (in xhp). Focusing now on a pm2 with s30v or better to replace something I was stupid enough to screw up after 20 yrs of ownership.
Outdrfrk

Post by Outdrfrk »

Just pulled the trigger on a pm2 camo scaled s30v ... not my ideal choice but a good choice and now sleep will come easier until the next time.
Thanks
awa54

Post by awa54 »

For outdoor use the PM2 is better, because the longer blade and bigger handle make hard cutting easier, for lighter duty, the Para 3 is superior, since it takes less pocket space and is still an incredibly smooth and sturdy knife. I thought the Para 3 looked ugly until I actually held one in my hand, product shots somehow don't convey the balance it has and make it look stubbier than it is in real life.

The only downside to the Para 3 in my book is that the stock clip forces the knife to ride a bit higher in the pocket than I'd prefer, so for tip-up carry an aftermarket deep carry clip is almost required.

I like S30V (S35VN better!) for all-around use and S110V for coarser, or more extended cutting tasks... both fine steels, but neither is my favorite ("blurple" however is the best stock G10 scale color IMO!). If I had to choose a currently available steel for either, the S35VN/Tan distributor exclusive would be it; takes a nicer polished edge than S110V, sharpens easier than S30V... of course YMMV :D
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Crux

Post by Crux »

My advice is to buy both. Why stress over decisions that are easy to solve?
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
JMSIII

Post by JMSIII »

I have big hands, XL gloves, and I used to use Benchmade 940-1 for EDC for years. Now for EDC, I use either my P3 Bento Box Blue or P3 CF S90V. Love these P3's. However, I will also from time to time carry one of my PM2's and my Military's. The majority of the time is the P3's. I just like them all.

As others have said, the best thing to do is too and see how they feel in your hand. Or as I am guilty of....buy both. :)
Rutger

Post by Rutger »

I own em both too and i prefer the Para 3. Blade is big enough for what i need to do most of the time and the handle fits my hand even better than the PM2. The Para 3 is also less threatening among non knife people. I have a Military in my jacket/coat that is with me most of the time so if i need a bigger blade i have that close by. I am also really fond of the Chaparral. You really don't notice that thing in your pocket and it is enough for most edc tasks. But i guess the PM2 is the better jack of all trades if you only wanted one knife.