Some things I would like to see from Spyderco ... you?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
cycleguy

Some things I would like to see from Spyderco ... you?

Post by cycleguy »

Here are some things I would like to see from Spyderco:

1) Mule re-runs. For us late-comers and missed-outs that would enjoy some steels that have already come and gone. (I suppose the re-run concept could be expanded to complete knives as well).

2) Micarta handles. A favorite; I suspect someone else likes them too???

3) Big Game Hunter Knife/Saw Combo: Concept is a folder that has a blade and a bone saw and an ergonomic handle that is not too small or too big and comes with a sheath for wearing horizontal or vertical on a belt. (See Picture and narrative). Would like this knife/tool to disassemble/assemble easy for thorough cleaning. Hence, a system where the blades could be swapped out for like kind when worn out or to alter the knife/tool for your personal preferences (i.e. bone saw vs wood saw blade, or blade with or without gut hook, or standard steel vs super premium steel blade, or ????? (use your imagination here and the list could get lengthy). Since this is now a modular system an assortment of handle color, materials, and possibly shapes. Narrative: For many years of big game hunting I used the saw on the left and fixed blade in the middle to gut and skin antelope, deer, and elk. The tools were carried in a fanny or back pack while pursuing animals. One year I left camp in a hurry and forgot to grab my pack which left me a couple miles from camp with a harvested animal and no knife & saw. Swore this would never happen again and wanting to shed weight and free up pack space I purchased the folder on the right. It has been used for many years to gut and skin antelope, deer, and elk. It is always on my belt so I never leave camp without it and the saw and fixed blade reside in the camper for back-up if ever needed. The B__k folder has been in production for many years so apparently doing well enough with sales to keep it around so I suspect a viable knife/tool concept as is. However, I would like to see the concept improved upon: 1) ergonomics, more comfortable handle as a much firmer grip is required when using the saw, 2) slightly longer length in the handle and saw blade would be more functional and ergonomic while still small enough to wear on your hip/belt, 3) bone saw tooth like the G----r vs a wood saw tooth, 4) no gut hook, just my personal preference, 5) don't think it matters if the blades pivot on the same side of the handle or opposite (B__k hypes one handed deployment in sales but don't think it matters).

OK Spyderco now it is up to you.....

CG
Attachments
Knife Pic Medium.JPG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
vivi

Re: Some things I would like to see from Spyderco ... you?

Post by vivi »

1. More designs with zero thumb ramp. Not even a shallow one like the Manix XL, but a completely smooth transition from handle to blade spine like that Native. Fixed and folding. They ruin the ergonomics on many designs for me, designs I'd otherwise purchase.

2. More folders with 4"+ blades.

3. More designs with no index choil, but rather a handle that places your hand close to the cutting edge in the regular grip, like the Tenacious and Caribbean.

4. Less carbon steel folders, and more carbon steel fixed blades. The steel offerings feel a little backwards to me in that respect.

5. Micarta scales on fixed blades and folders.

6. Pointier tips across the board. Endura 3 style.
:unicorn
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Compression lock flipper all the things!!!!!!1!!11!!!!!

Just kidding. Maybe. :rolleyes:

Actually I'd like to see more sprints of classic models in modern steels. (cue JD lol).
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Like what Evil D said, classic models in modern steels.

More knives with thin stock and thin egdes like the Chaparral and Police 4.

Maybe another slip it or two
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
CanaBrit

Post by CanaBrit »

Vivi wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:15 am

3. More designs with no index choil, but rather a handle that places your hand close to the cutting edge in the regular grip, like the Tenacious and Caribbean.

This is what I don't understand. Once you get over a 4" blade the handle just becomes longer than needed.
Wouldn't it be possible to make something like the police, but with the blade's edge reaching all the way back to the handle? That way you can get a 4.5" blade into a 4.5" handle. It would make the folder carry much smaller... I think? (is there a technical reason we need a choil in the blade?).

Not that I don't like the P4, but the smaller it is in the pocket the better :)
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

knivesandbooks wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:55 am
Maybe the Chaparral design (or something close) in other steels. I love the Chaparral so much, and I know I'm not alone in saying I'd buy it in any steel it was sprinted in. I also know that's not the design philosophy there, and I do like the XHP, so I'm suggesting--not complaining.

A while back someone suggested sprinting blade grinds--so making a thing slicey version of other knives that normally have thicker stock, and I think that would be a great way to test out your idea of thinner stock and edges.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

TomAiello wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:58 am
knivesandbooks wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:55 am
Maybe the Chaparral design (or something close) in other steels. I love the Chaparral so much, and I know I'm not alone in saying I'd buy it in any steel it was sprinted in. I also know that's not the design philosophy there, and I do like the XHP, so I'm suggesting--not complaining.

A while back someone suggested sprinting blade grinds--so making a thing slicey version of other knives that normally have thicker stock, and I think that would be a great way to test out your idea of thinner stock and edges.

+2 on the Chapparal thin blades. Honestly, I think the Chaparral LW is a PERFECT knife in every way. The thing I would REALLY like to see from Spyderco is to just expand the offerings of the Chaparral LW model. An LC200N Salt model with Yellow FRN. An H1 SE Salt model. Different FRN colors and different steels like Elmax, Cruwear, and others. I carry my Chap LW pretty much exclusively at this point. I reach for bigger blades when really needed, but the Chap LW is always in my pocket.

I understand the Chap was made to showcase handle materials, but that would be the ultimate in irony if my favorite model of all of MANY I have tried ends up being one that will never be made in any of my preferred steels. :(
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

A G-10 Hawkbill Dragonfly with a PE (Hap40, Superblue, or ZDP)

ALTERNATIVELY

A Hawkbill Lil' Native would be Awesome :D

...more designs with CBBL :spyder:
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

A 3” manix. Love the burly design, lock, etc but I just can’t carry mine very often. A legal one for my area would be awesome. The pm2 and manic are the flagships in my mind. We got the para3. I need a man 3.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

A Maxamet Military would be nice. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
cbrstar

Post by cbrstar »

A sprint run C15 bob T with titanium scales and S90V blade.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

cycleguy wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:50 am
Here are some things I would like to see from Spyderco:

1) Mule re-runs. For us late-comers and missed-outs that would enjoy some steels that have already come and gone.

OK Spyderco now it is up to you.....

CG
This! A thousand time this!
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
benben

Post by benben »

Never happen but a Golden made Wegner & Wegner Jr. with a stainless like M390 or XHP.
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

More options that don't utilize a forward finger choil.

Way more use of wire clips.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

- Fixed blades with brass or nickel single hilts
- Street Beat in CTS-XHP or M390
- Spyderco Fish Hunter style blade PE, 5+ inches long in excellent steel (CTS-XHP or M390) and a black handle
- Military in Maxamet
- Shaman in S90V with black handles
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Native chief

Para XL

Shaman sprints

Shaman XL

More DLC models on low chromium steels

More ultra high wear resistant steels (Rex 121, 15v, HAP72, more Maxamet)

More XHP, introduce Vanadis 4e

Tuff 2 in 4v or Vanadis 4e, OR at least 1-2 models with more robust pivot construction (liners, bigger pivot/pivot screws, larger/thicker washers

Yeah, I'm in the minority. :cool:
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

The original UKPK design with only one change...

AEB-L blade... :)
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

SF Native wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:46 pm
A 3” manix. Love the burly design, lock, etc but I just can’t carry mine very often. A legal one for my area would be awesome. The pm2 and manic are the flagships in my mind. We got the para3. I need a man 3.
A 3" Manix would be awesome for me too.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Somewhat lower priced US made models with nice handles - something to compete with the Kershaw Bareknuckle, Knockout, Leek, etc.

Lil' Native Salt. Economy model Lil Native FRN back lock or comp lock with 14C28N or BD1N blade.

SpyderBenza collab with CRK - Sebenza 21 Insingo made in Taichung with a Spyderhole and any modern PM stainless steel.

Sage 2 or Slysz Bowie with Vanax blade.

Reissue of the Salsa Ti with integral comp lock in any modern PM stainless steel.

Shaman and standard size Native both with integral comp locks.

Linerless Delicas and Enduras with thread inserts like the Salt 2 and Native 5.

Linerless Chaparral LW - maybe even a Salt version of it.

Native 5 LW or UKPK FRN as a new Mule Team Folder.
vivi

Post by vivi »

TomAiello wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:57 pm
SF Native wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:46 pm
A 3" Manix would be awesome for me too.
Isn't the Manix 2 a 2.9" cutting edge? You want one with .1" more edge?
:unicorn