CTS XHP

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Pelagic

CTS XHP

Post by Pelagic »

What's the deal with this steel? As many of us know, Cold Steel has essentially dropped XHP from their lineup, citing "sourcing challenges" and opting for s35vn instead. The steel chemistry may not suggest so, but after using both quite a bit, I tend to feel that switch was not an upgrade in performance. Spyderco seems to have had success with sprint runs in this steel. Is XHP hard to obtain these days? Is it a cost effective choice for production? I've been impressed with its apex stability on more than one occasion.

For reference. How do you guys like this steel?
Any corrosion issues? Edge performance? Stories?
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Halfneck

Re: CTS XHP

Post by Halfneck »

I've got a few knives in CTS-XHP and I like it. Mine mostly see day to day EDC use in a city/office setting. No corrosion issues at all. Edge has held up fine, an no problems sharpening it when it's necessary. I have an older Bob Dozier fixed blade in D2 that I did carry in the field a few times and it has some light staining, but no rust/corrosion at all.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

XHP is great. Spyderco does a great job treating it. Sharpens great, lasts well. No chipping or anything.
I think Spyderco runs it harder than CS.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I wish the Spyderco Street Beat was made in CTS-XHP. Make a huge run of them and I'll be able to get in on one! :D
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Pelagic wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:18 pm
...Is XHP hard to obtain these days? Is it a cost effective choice for production? ...
The Chap LW at $88 MAP, Chap CF at $128, and the new McBee at $130 indicate to me that it's cost effective. The fact the Spyderco added a new model, the McBee, with XHP blade indicates to me that at least Spyderco can obtain it without too much hassle.
Pelagic wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:18 pm
For reference. How do you guys like this steel?
Any corrosion issues? Edge performance? Stories?
I picked up both a Dice and Domino this year, which both have it. I think it sharpens pretty easily and easily takes a very fine edge on a strop. I've not had any corrosion issues, but I do use my Spydiechef any time I anticipate more averse conditions than normal. XHP has been a pleasant surprise for me. I like it quite a bit.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i have the manix 2 lw in xhp from kc. i really like it. i cycle through a few knives, but the manix is in my pocket more than any other (besides the pacific salt se, which is always carried along with whatever pe knife i’m carrying for the day). i’m embarrassed to say i’ve not sharpened it yet and i’ve carried it since may. the edge has held up really well, but it could use a touch-up. it still shaves though. i did experience a small amount of corrosion on the part of the blade that is exposed in the cbbl hole, but it cleaned up with a little oil and a q-tip. i’ve not had any issues with it since.

personally, i really like this steel and considered getting one of cold steel’s models until they changed away from it. it would be nice to see more spydercos in xhp, but i’d probably prefer more lc200n.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Pelagic,

XHP is essentially a successful attempt to make stainless D2. Carpenter was developing it when we were helping them develop a line of blade steels and we did initial testing for them. I think the sourcing issues are; it's expensive and minimum quantities have recently been raised to a very high amount. We use quite a bit so, while inventory is still a hassle, the steel is good enough to keep working with it.

sal
vivi

Post by vivi »

sal wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:01 pm
Hi Pelagic,

XHP is essentially a successful attempt to make stainless D2. Carpenter was developing it when we were helping them develop a line of blade steels and we did initial testing for them. I think the sourcing issues are; it's expensive and minimum quantities have recently been raised to a very high amount. We use quite a bit so, while inventory is still a hassle, the steel is good enough to keep working with it.

sal
Sal,

Do you have any plans to introduce a new model in XHP, or maybe a sprint of an existing model? I still have not tried it but I hear good things about it.
:unicorn
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

sal wrote:
Hi Pelagic,

sal
Sal, if you're able to tell us, how does XHP compare in price to S30V, or even 20CV and 204P? Has Carpenter raised minimum quantities on all steels, or just XHP? As much as I like XHP on my Domino and Dice, I'd have to do an Ankerson or Cedric & Ada style test to really differentiate it from the similarly ground S30V blade on my Sage 2. But I also understand that many afi's are bored with S30V being so common now. It sounds like you and Eric have quite a lot to think about when deciding on blade steels outside of the Salt series.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I really only started using XHP because it was in the Chaparral (which I love, and which is not available in any other steel). It's impressed me enough that I now really do prefer it to s30v and s35vn, and actually did some personal (totally subjective) comparison tests by carrying the XHP manix back to back to back with the s30v and s110v versions.
vivi

Post by vivi »

TomAiello wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:19 pm
I really only started using XHP because it was in the Chaparral (which I love, and which is not available in any other steel). It's impressed me enough that I now really do prefer it to s30v and s35vn, and actually did some personal (totally subjective) comparison tests by carrying the XHP manix back to back to back with the s30v and s110v versions.
How do you find the edge holding of XHP compares to S30V and S110V?
:unicorn
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

sal wrote:
Hi Pelagic,

sal
Sounds great Sal! I'm very glad you still work with it. I think interest will only grow for this steel as more and more people use it/find out how good it is.

One of the times XHP impressed me was when it cut through an extension cord containing 4 rather large copper wires. The cord was over half an inch thick total. I had to put nearly all of my weight into the cut (glove, pressing on the spine of the blade), as well as saw against the copper some. I realize a knife is the wrong tool for this job but the wire had to be cut immediately and its all I had. After the cut, zero blunting, still shaving every hair in one pass (it was not quite hair whittling before the cut, 15dps). I was pleasantly surprised. XHP is truly a pleasure to use, and you have to use it to appreciate it.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Vivi wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:38 pm
TomAiello wrote:
It seems to hold a high sharpness longer than s30v, be slightly easier to sharpen, and have better apex stability IMO, perhaps with better corrosion resistance. But s110v is in another league.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I've used XHP a lot, and my experience probably echos Pelagic... Easy to achieve a keen edge and holds it longer than the data might suggest. I've often thought that I enjoy it more than S30v. It's a great EDC steel IMO and I'm always very glad to see it in a new model or sprint.

Would it be fair to say that Carpenter steels seem to get pushed out of the knife market by Crucible? Maybe Carpenter is doing just fine and the knife market isn't their focus, but 204p was awesome and now 20cv seems more popular because of similarly reported issues.
Last edited by abbazaba on Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Pelagic wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:39 pm
Vivi wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:38 pm
TomAiello wrote:
It seems to hold a high sharpness longer than s30v, be slightly easier to sharpen, and have better apex stability IMO, perhaps with better corrosion resistance. But s110v is in another league.
Agree with both statements above.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Doesn't crucible own carpenter? I think they bought them out years ago.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

My only XHP blade is the Chaparral LW and I really like the stuff. Yes, the Chap's geometry surely aids in its performance but the steel is no slouch either. I carried that knife as my EDC for a couple months and really enjoyed it. Easy to sharpen and low maintenance.

Right now, XHP and BD1N are at the top of my favorite list. I would love to see more knives in these steels!
RobDigi

Post by RobDigi »

Of course both s35vn and the XHP are very good.
But I just saw some nice looking graphics analyzing steels by all significant factors,
and XHP scored very high end as an all around blade steel.
I have a couple of knives with XHP I think it holds an edge very well.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Pelagic wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:46 pm
Doesn't crucible own carpenter? I think they bought them out years ago.
Perhaps you're thinking of Latrobe which Crucible has a distribution partnership with. I'm pretty sure Crucible and Carpenter are two separate companies.
npad69

Post by npad69 »

i have an XHP kitchen knife with 60hrc reprofiled at 8-10 dps with a toothy edge, excels pretty much in cutting stuff. i cut bony fishes (up to 1kg) with it and the edge hasn't chipped nor rolled. the edge keeps its sharpness better than my VG10 japanese knives but what impresses me more is how quickly it gets back to shaving sharpness after just a couple of swipes on the edge of spyderco's fine ceramic stones.

the only kitchen knife steel that i have that currently outworks it are my hap40 kohetsus