Lil' Native Comp Lock – some thoughts after over 3 months of EDC

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Forest Elk

Lil' Native Comp Lock – some thoughts after over 3 months of EDC

Post by Forest Elk »

When reading the thread „What Spyderco is in your pocket today??“ I suddenly got the „inspiration“ for writing the following...

How it all began
My Spyderco experience started in 2003, when I purchased the old trusty Native 2 FRN pinned construction with plain CPM440V blade. It's still in my collection, in almost mint condition. I liked the design and especially the finger choil, which gives a very good handling for my rather big paws...

The Lil' Native arises...
In the beginning of 2018 I took a closer look for the first time. Over the years I had gained positive experience with both the Compression Lock (owning a PM 2) and the wire clip (UKPK and Dragonfly 2). So it was a logical conclusion for me to get the Comp Lock version, furthermore due to the reason that it has open construction and deep carry. End of August, after one week of thinking and checking my budget, I decided to order one from White Mountain Knives.

And now...?
The knife arrived on September, 1st after only one week delivery time and it's my EDC knife since this day! :) Why this? For me personally there are some reasons: 1) The form factor. Nice lines and surprisingly perfect handling comparable to its old bigger brother. 2) It's very well balanced, with the gravity point near the pivot. 3) It rides deeply and safely in the pocket due to the strong short wire clip and draws no unwanted attention (remember German knife laws... :mad: ). 4) The blade is sturdy, made of one of my favorite steels and has a shape which I prefer for general tasks. There may be more reasons... In summary it makes fun to carry! Although I have several other Spydies as well as other brands available for EDC and changed occasionally, the Lil' Native always finds its way back into my pocket after a few hours! :rolleyes:

No complaints...?
I personally have no problems with black G-10 and S30V. In terms of construction and materials the Lil' Native meets my PM2. In other words: Lil' Native for urban daily carry and the PM2 in the woods when a bigger blade is especially required. The very small part of the choil protuding to the lock bar is no concern for me as I don't flick my knves open.

So everything is 100 percent OK? 99 percent... :eek: I would have been glad if the tip would sit a little bit deeper inside the scales. I will try to show it by the following pictures.

Here you see the knife completely closed. The hole is matching the scales and the tip is sunk abt. 2 mm between the scales.

Now think what can happen after many sharpening sessions... The tip will move upwards outside the scales and therefore possibly damage at least your pocket... I personally will touch up the blade regularly on the white Sharpmaker stones and avoid any „stronger“ sharpening. In case the problem really rises I shall have to disassemble the knife and file a little down the point where the blade contacts the stop pin in closed position. As you can see this would affect the hole position only a very small, nearly non visible amount.

Final conclusion
The famous former NYPD shooting instructor Francis McGee once stated: „The only replacement for a Smith & Wesson M 10 is another Smith & Wesson M 10!“... OK, I will take this over to the Lil' Native! It seems to stay in my pocket on and on regardless of all the other knives I own. If I would lose it (hopefully never!!!) I would buy it again. But my personal highlight would be a version with smooth carbon fiber scales (same as the old UKPK CF which I luckily also own...). For such a version I will keep my money!

In summary: Well done, Eric, and thank you for this knife! :) :spyder:
"Never leave home without a knife!" :spyder:

My Spydies: Native CPM440V, Delica4-ZDP, Delica4-ZDP, Delica4 FFG, Endura4-ZDP, Endura4, UKPK-G10, UKPK-CF, Salt1, PM 2, Dragonfly 2, Dragonfly Salt, Dragonfly-ZDP, Dragonfly Nishijin, Squeak, Lil' Native CompLock, Dragonfly-G10
ChrisinHove

Re: Lil' Native Comp Lock – some thoughts after over 3 months of EDC

Post by ChrisinHove »

Great review, thank you!
BigGrove

Post by BigGrove »

Lil Native is in my EDC rotation. Fits the hand so well and is such a great tool for its size.
benben

Post by benben »

Thanks, great review. My question to anyone about any product.....a car, a TV, a gun, and a knife......”would you buy it again?” A resounding yes is the strongest compliment to any product review!
J D Wijbenga

Post by J D Wijbenga »

Excellent review! It is one of my favorites as well!
brainfriction

Post by brainfriction »

It's a great little knife. The choil protrusion never bothered me either, I usually just use the tip of my fingernail if I flick it closed one handed although for some people it completely ruined the whole knife for them :rolleyes:
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

Lil Native is way to small for my EDC rotation.

Love Natives though.
BigGrove

Post by BigGrove »

The Lil Native is 2.45" vs. 2.95" blade and 5.92" vs 6.95" overall length compare to the Native so we're not talking some massive difference here. The regular Native is in a tweener size that doesn't fit well as EDC solution for me. If I want something more than the size of the Lil Native I reach for my PM2, Military or Mule. The good news is Spyderco makes all sizes and shapes to suit everyone's needs.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

I love the lil native-
As they break in they become supremely comfortable and I love that blade finish
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Yes, next to my One-Eyed Jack, it’s my favorite small locking knife.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

Forest Elk wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:14 am
When reading the thread „What Spyderco is in your pocket today??“ I suddenly got the „inspiration“ for writing the following...

How it all began
My Spyderco experience started in 2003, when I purchased the old trusty Native 2 FRN pinned construction with plain CPM440V blade. It's still in my collection, in almost mint condition. I liked the design and especially the finger choil, which gives a very good handling for my rather big paws...

The Lil' Native arises...
In the beginning of 2018 I took a closer look for the first time. Over the years I had gained positive experience with both the Compression Lock (owning a PM 2) and the wire clip (UKPK and Dragonfly 2). So it was a logical conclusion for me to get the Comp Lock version, furthermore due to the reason that it has open construction and deep carry. End of August, after one week of thinking and checking my budget, I decided to order one from White Mountain Knives.

And now...?
The knife arrived on September, 1st after only one week delivery time and it's my EDC knife since this day! :) Why this? For me personally there are some reasons: 1) The form factor. Nice lines and surprisingly perfect handling comparable to its old bigger brother. 2) It's very well balanced, with the gravity point near the pivot. 3) It rides deeply and safely in the pocket due to the strong short wire clip and draws no unwanted attention (remember German knife laws... :mad: ). 4) The blade is sturdy, made of one of my favorite steels and has a shape which I prefer for general tasks. There may be more reasons... In summary it makes fun to carry! Although I have several other Spydies as well as other brands available for EDC and changed occasionally, the Lil' Native always finds its way back into my pocket after a few hours! :rolleyes:

No complaints...?
I personally have no problems with black G-10 and S30V. In terms of construction and materials the Lil' Native meets my PM2. In other words: Lil' Native for urban daily carry and the PM2 in the woods when a bigger blade is especially required. The very small part of the choil protuding to the lock bar is no concern for me as I don't flick my knves open.

So everything is 100 percent OK? 99 percent... :eek: I would have been glad if the tip would sit a little bit deeper inside the scales. I will try to show it by the following pictures.

Here you see the knife completely closed. The hole is matching the scales and the tip is sunk abt. 2 mm between the scales.

Now think what can happen after many sharpening sessions... The tip will move upwards outside the scales and therefore possibly damage at least your pocket... I personally will touch up the blade regularly on the white Sharpmaker stones and avoid any „stronger“ sharpening. In case the problem really rises I shall have to disassemble the knife and file a little down the point where the blade contacts the stop pin in closed position. As you can see this would affect the hole position only a very small, nearly non visible amount.

Final conclusion
The famous former NYPD shooting instructor Francis McGee once stated: „The only replacement for a Smith & Wesson M 10 is another Smith & Wesson M 10!“... OK, I will take this over to the Lil' Native! It seems to stay in my pocket on and on regardless of all the other knives I own. If I would lose it (hopefully never!!!) I would buy it again. But my personal highlight would be a version with smooth carbon fiber scales (same as the old UKPK CF which I luckily also own...). For such a version I will keep my money!

In summary: Well done, Eric, and thank you for this knife! :) :spyder:
Thanks for the detailed write up! I've been eyeing the lil native comp lock for some time now and wasn't sure about it because I have large hands. There is no local store I could handle one before purchasing. ..but I feel more comfortable now after your post.

Jsmes
Smaug

Post by Smaug »

I've got a Native Maxamet inbound, and now you have me wondering if I shouldn't have gone for the Li'l.

It could be my Chicago carry, when I go into the city. Blade's big enough for everything I do except food prep, and when I do food prep, I'm usually in my kitchen.
-Jeremy
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Agreed my friend. Great little knife that can do 99% of what I need a knife for. Love the blade, the compression lock, and the thick wire clip. I'm not sure but it looks like the Lil' Native uses larger wire for the clip than knives from Taiwan or Japan do.

Nice write up. :spyder:
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Forest Elk

Post by Forest Elk »

Daveho wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:39 pm

... and I love that blade finish
Agree to you. It has a nice look and feeling.
MichaelScott wrote: Yes, next to my One-Eyed Jack, it’s my favorite small locking knife.
Getting older (61 now), it seems that the preferred knife size is going down... :p
David Lowry wrote: ... Love ... the thick wire clip. I'm not sure but it looks like the Lil' Native uses larger wire for the clip than knives from Taiwan or Japan do.
You're right! I forgot to mention this. When compared with the wire clips of my G-10 and CF UKPKs, Dragonfly 2 versions and Chicago, the Lil' Native clip is by far the sturdiest. Absolutely no side-by-side play! I think it's due to thickness and hardening. Closest to it comes the clip of my ZDP Dragonfly 2.
"Never leave home without a knife!" :spyder:

My Spydies: Native CPM440V, Delica4-ZDP, Delica4-ZDP, Delica4 FFG, Endura4-ZDP, Endura4, UKPK-G10, UKPK-CF, Salt1, PM 2, Dragonfly 2, Dragonfly Salt, Dragonfly-ZDP, Dragonfly Nishijin, Squeak, Lil' Native CompLock, Dragonfly-G10
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Took me a while to get the idea of the Lil Native, then to get the knife itself, then to find a good overview such as this, on which I now piggyback without shame.

The smarts that Eric has put into the Lil Native (I got the backlock) are becoming apparent to me. I had no idea I needed this knife.

I see a need for the slipjoint next, then for the comp lock, which is my favorite lock, as much for the open architecture it permits as for its inherent strength.

The blade-finish is like none I’ve seen in an S30V Spydie. Mike Janich calls it “tumbled”. Really nice for someone who cops blade-feels like I do.

I’m interested to see what the slipjoint version does to my affection for the Urban, that jurisdiction-friendly and bang-for-the-buck vehicle for intriguing steels.

I’m also interested to see how long before the big Spydies I favor get back in my pocket. It just might happen that I’ll keep a Lil Native in my pride-of-place RFP and supplement it with a big Spydie rotation elsewhere, rather than the other way round.

This “Lil”-ization thing is liable to drive me toward a Lil PM2 Eric’s Para3!
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I've edc'd one since they were first released. My favorite spyderco of all time. Perfect for me.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I’m aware. You, Michael Scott, and some others got me thinking... A dangerous place, this forum.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Filthy enablers, all of us.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

I own 2 natives. Both s35vn. I was gonna get a third in s30v but went with the lil' native (lockback).
It's smaller than the native of course but not "too" small -- i often carry a dragonfly when cycling so smaller knives are no stranger to me. But the main thing was I wanted it because I like how it was made. Had there been a fullsize native it would have been a toss up. That said there are times when you want to be carrying a knife but a smaller one will do. Admittedly these days tho I am carrying my sage comp lock more but betweent he sage and the lil native those are my go too knives when not carrying the salt 2 or standard native5....
Goshdarnit natives are like those stupid pokimom things, you got to have all of them!

Lonerider
"A fool's blade may be sharper than his brain"
“Learn to ride a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." - Mark Twain
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

if they made the comp lock lil native in lc200n, they couldn't take my money fast enough. until then, i'm hanging on to my df2 salt instead.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C