How often do you carry a fixed blade?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Never, by choice
8%
Never, due to laws
3%
Never, due to how I expect others to react to one
1%
Rarely, only when camping / hiking / boating etc.
42%
Sometimes, but only on the weekends
5%
Sometimes, off and on during the week depending on my needs each day
18%
Every day, outside of work
7%
Every day, including at work.
16%

Total votes: 74

vivi

Post by vivi »

Title.
:unicorn
knivesandbooks

Re: How often do you carry a fixed blade?

Post by knivesandbooks »

I'm a weekend warrior, what can I say.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I’d like to vote: never but I’d like to. Legally I’m allowed, don’t care how people react, just haven’t found the right knife.

I’d like to see something with a smaller sheath, 3 inch blade.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

The only fixed blades I use regularly are in the kitchen.
anycal

Post by anycal »

Camping. Or at home, when I am honing my fixed blade camping skills.
Peter
Skidoosh

Post by Skidoosh »

I usually keep mine in a drawer at home. Strangely I find I use my fixed blades more often - especially my Southfork. However, its really awkward to belt carry that knife.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I voted rarely. I can't justify carrying a fixed blade over a folder for my daily needs but will usually bring one with me while camping or backpacking.
-Nick :bug-red
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

Every day, when doing morning chores and when I get home after work, and all day on weekends. In addition to at least 1 folder.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I need to carry a fixed knife more. My most commonly carried fixed blade is the street bowie, which I carry whenever I am biking (either mountain biking or riding on "the loop" here in Tucson) or when I am on a hike. It is rare for me to carry a fixed blade to the mall or grocery store, but it is not all that hard to conceal a fixed blade -- and it is legal to carry a fixed blade concealed in in Arizona if you are over 21.
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

Always a neck knife, sometimes a belt knife instead of a folder. People around here either don't notice or don't care and VA law allows concealed carry of fixed blades.
I voted every day including work because I wore a HAK under my shirt at work, until I retired last year.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Not often, usually only when camping or hiking.

I'm going to get some handles and a sheath for my PD#1 Mule soon though, and when I do I think I'll give it a try as an EDC.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I carry a fixed blade pretty much every day from about October to April, and maybe a little less than half the time the rest of the year.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

I absolutely love fixed blades in use, but folders are much more practical in most facets of life. I just can't always carry a fixed blade. I probably could walk into the bank with a bowie knife on my hip, but would get a feeling like someone may get weirded out. In contrast, I could have a Tatanka in my pocket and I highly doubt anyone would think twice about it.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
vivi

Post by vivi »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:03 pm
I need to carry a fixed knife more. My most commonly carried fixed blade is the street bowie, which I carry whenever I am biking (either mountain biking or riding on "the loop" here in Tucson) or when I am on a hike. It is rare for me to carry a fixed blade to the mall or grocery store, but it is not all that hard to conceal a fixed blade -- and it is legal to carry a fixed blade concealed in in Arizona if you are over 21.
I'd have one of those on my belt right now if the mail was on time. Last two knife orders have been at least a week late. Not ordering any more until late January to early February.

I used to own one. Had it strapped to my bike frame on my first two bicycle tours in fact. Packs a lot of blade into a really light package.
:unicorn
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Sometimes off and on and mainly around the office or yard work at home. I've been carrying my PD#1 mule and it's about perfect for me size wise. During slow periods at work I use it to practice stroping and sharpening, getting a better understanding what's going on at the edge.
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

The street bowie is just an amazingly light little big blade. My only complaint is that it does come with a pretty awful factory edge. And I think it needs to be reprofiled. I now have some good sized diamond bench stones and intend to tackle that. I am pretty sure it comes 40 inclusive or perhaps more obtuse.

I never even notice it once I have it on my belt (which is often just some 1 inch webbing tied with a knot -- great for comfort when hiking or active).

I need to start carrying the Junction, just for fun.
Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

I've been acquiring more EDC sized fixed blades for horizontal carry the last few months. I usually use them 3-4 days a week even when carrying a folder.

James
kernelpanic

Post by kernelpanic »

Last edited by kernelpanic on Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

The only fixed blades I use on a regular basis are my Kitchen Sharps, which rarely need to be carried more than a few feet. Do occasionally use a Moran Drop Point for opening boxes but, again, no need to "carry" it. Truth is, the only fixed blade I've "carried" since I moved to SC is a machete, and that only on my own property in my ongoing war on Kudzu.

Just don't find carrying a FB as convenient as carrying a folder. I've never been one to worry much about what others think, as long as I know I'm not breaking any laws. Back in NY use to practice with a Katana on the lawn behind my apartment and down here I've "cut stuff" in public with an OTF auto more than once.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Tims

Post by Tims »

I voted never, due to how I expect others to react.

If it was legal and socially acceptable here, I might carry a fixed blade 100% of the time.