Why Didn't You Buy A Manix 2 Back Lock?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
spyderwolf

Re: Why Didn't You Buy A Manix 2 Back Lock?

Post by spyderwolf »

Same reason why i sold my Manix lightweight:no steel liners.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I bought one as soon as they hit the stores. I love this knife and as I have said in the past, if I were forced to choose one folder, this would be it. You really have to get one and use it to appreciate it. Perhaps the only thing that might (I say might) be better is if they radiused the scales a bit. It is a great folded, and it should be bull strong.

I would buy this knife, again. I was hoping for a lightweight or another steel choice. The lightweight would be great.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Thicker handle, thicker blade stock, S30V. While none of those are deal breakers, the net result made me feel that it wasn't likely to be an improvement on my existing CBBL Manix (plural).

Full disclosure: when they came back to the closeout page on KC for the second time, I caved and bought one... I figured that I'm enough of a Manix fan that for $99 I really should get one, if for no other reason than it essentially being a 1 year flash batch. :(

I also thought we would have plenty of time to get this model and maybe Sprints or exclusives, I hope that with all the design and production setup already "in the can" we may still see a Sprint some day...
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
acer

Post by acer »

I have to admit I have brought one and it’s really nice. I also have g10 manix2 and manix 2 xl regular production runs, I have missed out on so many sprint runs exclusives etc on various models throughout my collecting career so well chuffed with this one into my collection . Life’s to short for regrets . Now what’s on the Christmas spyderco short list . Time to reflect , categorise, and prioritise my shortfall in my spydrco collection. Still having fun, in.
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

I had one of the older models, as well as one of the newer CBBL ones, and they just take up way too much space in the pocket. I was tempted to get one and have a belt sheath made, but the funds never presented themselves.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
vivi

Post by vivi »

StuntZombie wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:43 pm
I had one of the older models, as well as one of the newer CBBL ones, and they just take up way too much space in the pocket. I was tempted to get one and have a belt sheath made, but the funds never presented themselves.
They work well IWB, especially the C95 or XL. Width isn't an issue, and they leave a nice chunk of the handle poking out for easy retrieval. Or side pockets like this:

:unicorn
rybu0305

Post by rybu0305 »

Because I like the CBBL better than backlocks. The Manix and Manix lightweight fit the bill.
More CBBL please!
Delica 4 Brown, Manix 2 G10 S110V, Gayle Bradley 2, Manix 2 CF Cruwear, KC Endura HAP40 pakkawood, Sliverax, Kapara, Manix 2 Rex45, Manix 2 4v, Ivory Straight Stretch
ferider

Post by ferider »

anagarika wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:33 pm
Roland,

A lot of Cold Steel are linerless G10. I’ve been using the broken skull for a while and no play so far. Have not seen any complaints over CS subforum on BF either. I think Jim did a hard use test on American Lawman and it passed with flying colors.
Interesting, Chris, thanks !
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

ferider wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:06 pm
anagarika wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:33 pm
Roland,

A lot of Cold Steel are linerless G10. I’ve been using the broken skull for a while and no play so far. Have not seen any complaints over CS subforum on BF either. I think Jim did a hard use test on American Lawman and it passed with flying colors.
Interesting, Chris, thanks !
You’re welcome! I do agree that G10 can be scratched or damaged, but the design on these include radiused (round pin) interface so it should be quite durable.

Admittedly I don’t use my knives that hard, but I trust Jim’s test.
Chris :spyder:
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

....because it wasn't an XL

:D
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
vivi

Post by vivi »

oh hey so there's two of us ;)
:unicorn
bgnmi

Post by bgnmi »

So I bought one and I really think it is great. It is beating out M2lw, M2xl, p2, millie as a my go to.

I like the thicker blade, the lockback thwack and the over all feel. I was weighing a shaman or the manix lb

It would have done better as a sprint. M4 or cruwear. Most of my collection is sv30 and adding another gave me pause but glad I did
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

Vivi wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:47 pm
StuntZombie wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:43 pm
They work well IWB, especially the C95 or XL. Width isn't an issue, and they leave a nice chunk of the handle poking out for easy retrieval. Or side pockets like this:

Funny, but IWB never crossed my mind back then. More recently I've tried it with my Para 3, and had a little trouble finding the sweet spot, where it wouldn't jab me when I bent over or sat down. I wonder how it would work IWB behind the hip. I don't carry knives for self defense, so it's not like I'm worried about being able to retrieve it quickly.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
gundamaniac

Post by gundamaniac »

I thought I would have more time to buy one as I thought it would be more popular and last longer than it did. I got a chance to handle buferoe's Manix 2 backlock last night (and many other Spydercos long discontinued that I was curious about and now need to hunt down....but that's another topic). Oh man oh man, do am I ashamed and full of regret that I didn't get one. What a great piece. I always thought the ergos on the Manix were masterful, just melting into my hand; take away the handle jimping though like on the backlock version and oh my goodness that melty factor multiplies, and due to the handle shape I'm not worried about grip. And the jimping on the lock matches the jimping on the blade so well I could barely make out the H where the blade and lock met; also, the lock was so smooth to actuate and it was super snappy when it locked in. This is probably my favorite backlock yet, and a definite refinement over the Native 5 backlocks I've handled.

Anyway, I didn't get one because I thought they'd be more popular and thus be around longer, but now that they're discontinued and I got a chance to handle one, I really need to pick one up before the secondary market goes super crazy on pricing. I think it's a really nice knife (can you tell I'm a Manix fan? Just a little bit? :D )
anycal

Post by anycal »

gundamaniac wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:19 am
I thought I would have more time to buy one as I thought it would be more popular and last longer than it did. I got a chance to handle buferoe's Manix 2 backlock last night (and many other Spydercos long discontinued that I was curious about and now need to hunt down....but that's another topic). Oh man oh man, do am I ashamed and full of regret that I didn't get one. What a great piece. I always thought the ergos on the Manix were masterful, just melting into my hand; take away the handle jimping though like on the backlock version and oh my goodness that melty factor multiplies, and due to the handle shape I'm not worried about grip. And the jimping on the lock matches the jimping on the blade so well I could barely make out the H where the blade and lock met; also, the lock was so smooth to actuate and it was super snappy when it locked in. This is probably my favorite backlock yet, and a definite refinement over the Native 5 backlocks I've handled.

Anyway, I didn't get one because I thought they'd be more popular and thus be around longer, but now that they're discontinued and I got a chance to handle one, I really need to pick one up before the secondary market goes super crazy on pricing. I think it's a really nice knife (can you tell I'm a Manix fan? Just a little bit? :D )

BHQ still has qty 3 in stock at a good price.

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyderco- ... ife--68430
Peter
PStone

Post by PStone »

The one and only reason I didn’t get one right away, is because I too thought theyd be around a while, and kept pushing it down the list for exclusives and sprints. I was shocked to see it on the disco’d list. So I bought one immediately.

Also, maybe now that it’s disco’d we will see a sprint run...
gundamaniac

Post by gundamaniac »

anycal wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:29 am
gundamaniac wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:19 am
...Anyway, I didn't get one because I thought they'd be more popular and thus be around longer, but now that they're discontinued and I got a chance to handle one, I really need to pick one up before the secondary market goes super crazy on pricing. I think it's a really nice knife (can you tell I'm a Manix fan? Just a little bit? :D )

BHQ still has qty 3 in stock at a good price.

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyderco- ... ife--68430
Thanks for the heads up anycal! One of those is now mine as soon as they ship it. I can't wait to get it :D
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Too thick and no rounded edges on the handles. All G10 handles should be rounded like the Para 3.

Prefer the thinner blade and handle of the Manix 2. I also prefer steel liners with G10 even if it is not necessary.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Smaug

Post by Smaug »

I feel like I've got enough lock backs with my Delica, Tuff Lite, Voyager, Native and a couple of Bucks.

One way I keep variety in my collection is by having different lock styles. (AND slip joints)
-Jeremy
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I was tempted, but I chose the Shaman instead.
- already have a few Manix’s
- already have a few S30V G10 models
- Cruwear would have convinced me to open the wallet, even though I don’t need another beefy folder.

It’s unfortunate because it looks like a great workhorse, and I really like the linerless construction and Native back lock.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi