Why Didn't You Buy A Manix 2 Back Lock?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Colorodo

Re: Why Didn't You Buy A Manix 2 Back Lock?

Post by Colorodo »

I like the CBBL better.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I bought one. Overall it was too big for my uses. Great knife though
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

this might be unpopular, but it’s honest and i forgot to mention it in my previous post... if i’m going to buy a knife with g10 and a back lock for harder use, i’m probably going to buy a cold steel american lawman with the triad lock. when the manix back lock came out, you could still get the american lawman in xhp for a substantial amount less than the manix. i also happen to like the colors and coated blades. if spyderco offered the manix in a coated blade, they would have charged another $25 for it on top of the difference. the cold steel is also thinner, which i would’ve preferred.

don’t get me wrong... like i’ve said here before, the manix 2 lw is my absolute favorite knife (not just spyderco). i just find the american lawman a more compelling value for this class of knife. i’d love to see spyderco come closer to competing with it though.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I had meant to buy one. It's all a matter of priorities with me and I have to live with the fact I can no longer get every Spyderco I want. That being said if it had been released in other than S30V ( or other stainless I already have several of) it would have been shifted to a higher priority. Yes, I was one hoping to see a sprint in Cruwear, 3V, 4V, etc.

Joe
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Because I'm not overly fond of the Manix handle and because, if I wanted to carry a Manix, I have an original C95.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

When I was younger the bigger the folder the better. I loved big folders. Now the Military is about as big as I will carry and only because it is light. I have been carrying either a Para Mil or a Yojimbo lately. I want a good medium size knife that cuts really well.
Humint

Post by Humint »

I bought one and will likely pick up another before they are all gone. Honestly, I think it is one of Spyderco's best knives ever made. If it had FRN scales and recessed liners like the Endura, it would likely be the best Spyderco of all time in my book.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

ferider wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:49 am

Two slabs of G10 held together by backspacer and Pivot screw. Both Pivot and Lock-axis sit directly in G10, no other enforcement (as for instance the steel washers in the Manix LW).

And in contrast, the 80mm Manix:

Now that's sturdy.
I've been thinking about this ever since I saw these photos. One one hand I appreciate this "inside view" of the backlock mechanism.

But, objecting that the Backlock Manix is not strong enough seems unreasonable. Two slabs of 0.180 inch thick G10 -- if you do anything to this knife that makes these inadequate, you are well beyond the realm of abuse into something else altogether.

But this answers the question that was asked. People want steel liners even if they don't add anything to the strength of the knife.
BigGrove

Post by BigGrove »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:50 am
1) Sliverax

2) Shaman

3) Holding out for sprints of either.
I’d buy a Sliverax in any kind of sprint, I like it that much. It’s in my pocket right now.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I didn’t only because I assumed the model would eventually get sprinted in a steel that was new to me. Oops.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Lockback is my favorite. Really wanted to try especially with good impression that Doc shared.

Main factor is lack of fund and too many knives already. Had negative experience with S110V, so I am not sure if S30V will be to my liking. If it’s K390, M4 or even VG10 (52100, see below) the plus factor may go up. I like the form factor of manix G10 (the S110V) in the hand, but carrying is not so easy with the bulk.

Sad that it gets discontinued, but at slightly more I could get the 52100 run. Unfortunately I can’t get every single Spyderco that I fancy.
Chris :spyder:
ferider

Post by ferider »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:50 pm

But, objecting that the Backlock Manix is not strong enough seems unreasonable. Two slabs of 0.180 inch thick G10 -- if you do anything to this knife that makes these inadequate, you are well beyond the realm of abuse into something else altogether.

But this answers the question that was asked. People want steel liners even if they don't add anything to the strength of the knife.
Just to clarify: I like G10, tough and elastic stuff. Fiber glass is perfect in many ways for a knife scale or, say, for a rifle stock, bow, arrows, car fender, etc.

However, you can easily scratch or cut G10 with a screw-driver or knife. My biggest objection is the direct attachment of pivot and lock axis in the back-lock's G10, which - in my humble opinion - invites blade play. Which is why the LW Manix has an elaborate strengthening of pivot area with steel washers intregrated with the scales. Now, I have no experience in using the back-lock knife, but I do abuse my user Manixes quite a bit. And I appreciate particularly the toughness of the steel-lined Manix 2 and XL around the pivot areas.

Roland.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Too big for my edc. Have other similar knives that don’t get used enough. If I was going to get another manix, it would be the gray knifeworks 52100.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

ferider wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:46 pm
Tucson Tom wrote:

Just to clarify: I like G10, tough and elastic stuff. Fiber glass is perfect in many ways for a knife scale or, say, for a rifle stock, bow, arrows, car fender, etc.

However, you can easily scratch or cut G10 with a screw-driver or knife. My biggest objection is the direct attachment of pivot and lock axis in the back-lock's G10, which - in my humble opinion - invites blade play. Which is why the LW Manix has an elaborate strengthening of pivot area with steel washers intregrated with the scales. Now, I have no experience in using the back-lock knife, but I do abuse my user Manixes quite a bit. And I appreciate particularly the toughness of the steel-lined Manix 2 and XL around the pivot areas.

Roland.
Roland,

A lot of Cold Steel are linerless G10. I’ve been using the broken skull for a while and no play so far. Have not seen any complaints over CS subforum on BF either. I think Jim did a hard use test on American Lawman and it passed with flying colors.
Chris :spyder:
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I wanted one, but knife funds were limited this year due to other higher end knife purchases.
Josh
vivi

Post by vivi »

SF Native wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:41 pm
Too big for my edc.
Guess I'm the only one that held out in hopes of an XL run :D
:unicorn
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Vivi wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:58 pm
SF Native wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:41 pm
Too big for my edc.
Guess I'm the only one that held out in hopes of an XL run :D
Yeah, had so much good luck recently, I don’t need to mess it up with a questionable knife on some routine traffic stop. 3” and smaller and I’m good. Keep the bigger ones for working on the house.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

ferider wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:46 pm
Tucson Tom wrote:

Roland.
And those are reasonable thoughts. I have yet to scratch or gouge G10 (I did drop one knife about 30 feet onto rock and it had a sort of divot/bruise at the end where it hit -- this was a linerless G10 Native 5 btw -- it is doing fine other that a bit of cosmetic damage).

But your point about blade play. This is the kind of thing that only shows up with hard use over time -- if it shows up at all -- so it is a reasonable thing to be worried about. Some comments have already been made that this kind of construction can work out fine. But only road time tells the real story. I have a high degree of confidence.

All that aside, this really is the smoothest back-lock knife I own (the Native 5 knives I have are really nice also). I used to be a back-lock hater and now I am a convert -- at least when they are this nicely done. Sad to see it drop out of the line-up.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I’ve been asking myself the same question. The only answer I could come up with was the blade similarity to my LilTemp3, and for a larger handle I would prefer a Shaman.
attila

Post by attila »

Talk of a Native Chief and tons of other backlock options.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5