Which Cara Cara???

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
knivesandbooks

Which Cara Cara???

Post by knivesandbooks »

I've got a little extra cash right now and am considering trying out a Cara Cara. I just can't decide which one. I'm debating between the plain edge g10 model and the blacked out stainless combo edge model.

The blacked out stainless model looks legit and I do like stainless knives, thiugh the only one I currently own is a stainless delica. I'm just unsure about the combo edge. Once I got into knives I've not owned one and I'm hesistant. I love my serrated spydies but I just don't know.

The g10 one will be lighter and grippier. It is also full plain edge.

If I could get a full serrated with g10, I would.

What do you all think? There's no appreciable price difference. I've really been wanting to test one of these out. Might gift it to a buddy or buy a couple for my friend's brother who just joined rotc and destroys knives.

And yes, I know about the frn ones. I've held an frn Byrd (don't remember what model) and didn't like how it felt. And this is coming from someone who loves frn/frcp models.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
SpyderEdgeForever

Re: Which Cara Cara???

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I say go with the plain edge satin finish or part serrated satin finish.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Peacent loves his black combo edge.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=81412
Chris :spyder:
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

What about the ti one?
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

knivesandbooks wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:24 pm
What about the ti one?
You get PE and screw construction, and likely lighter. Some people who gets it likes it, but I rather have upgraded steel than upgraded handle. Can be disassembled for cleaning but an SS can be simply boiled and dried if needed.

Having said that, I believe it’s very nice. If only the blade is upgraded too (or re-HT by bluntcut).
https://youtu.be/ScVIPCYHbLE
(I watched this sometime back)

Review on Robin Ti:
//forum.spyderco.com/viewto ... 14&t=77767
Nick did his review on Meadowlark Ti
https://youtu.be/LZIHRGo8HfE
carrot

Post by carrot »

It is worth considering the “2” series Byrd’s have much improved FRN handles since the first generation release. Those older handles were patterned like feathers and the second gen with “spots” or scaly.

I think the stainless ones are great, totally overlooked, because they fit real slim in the pocket. However you do give up some grip that might be appreciated for harder cutting.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Carrot,

I would highly recommend the new G-10 Starling in CTS-BD1. Very nice quality and great price.

sal
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

carrot wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:21 am
It is worth considering the “2” series Byrd’s have much improved FRN handles since the first generation release. Those older handles were patterned like feathers and the second gen with “spots” or scaly.

I think the stainless ones are great, totally overlooked, because they fit real slim in the pocket. However you do give up some grip that might be appreciated for harder cutting.
Agree, the generation 2 FRN is nice, quite similar to bidirectional on Endura. If the edge is more rounded, it’s going to be so much nicer. 👍🏼
araneae

Post by araneae »

sal wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:00 am
Hi Carrot,

I would highly recommend the new G-10 Starling in CTS-BD1. Very nice quality and great price.

sal
I would agree as one who stirred the pot for it's release.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
RobDigi

Post by RobDigi »

Whatever.....The Cara Cara 2 in titanium is a must have...trust me!!
carrot

Post by carrot »

sal wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:00 am
Hi Carrot,

sal
I ended up getting one on your recommendation. It's fantastic and hasn't left my pocket since. Easy to carry and very slicey.

Thanks Sal!
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

One of the Byrd Cara Cara 2 with different colored handles. Try the Earthtone brown or Gray or Blue FRN. Very great knife. And then go for the upcoming Cara Cara 2 with Emerson Wave. You would not be disappointed. Right sal?