REX 45 Military In Stock!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Chumango

Re: REX 45 Military In Stock!

Post by Chumango »

Mine arrived. Good centering, lockup, and plenty sharp. But boy I wish they would grind the edge thinner - 0.027-0.028" behind the edge. As soon as I saw the wide bevels I knew that was the case. Plus uneven near the tip. The thick edge takes away some of the benefit of the properties of this steel.
anycal

Post by anycal »

Chumango wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:02 pm
Mine arrived. Good centering, lockup, and plenty sharp. But boy I wish they would grind the edge thinner - 0.027-0.028" behind the edge. As soon as I saw the wide bevels I knew that was the case. Plus uneven near the tip. The thick edge takes away some of the benefit of the properties of this steel.
Same here. I have a bunch of Golden’s and this is a first time I have seen this type of unevenness. Not that big a deal, as it will get evened out with sharpening.

Otherwise, everything else as expected.

Peter
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Chumango wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:02 pm
.027-.028 seems awfully thick. Surprised to hear that!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Hopsbreath wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:05 pm
Rex 45 selling like Fun-Dip at a little league game, and there sits the Knifeworks S90V framelock Military for virtually the same price. I swear I don’t understand what drives knife sales.
That knifeworks S90V framelock is really a nice knife. I have mine and am very glad to have it. I am shocked to hear that they are still available. Maybe knifeworks got a run of 10,000 or something? I'm not serious, but it is a real sleeper for no particular reason. If anybody missed the Rex45 and wants a great Military, they need look no further. Titanium and CF, and an excellent steel, stainless too for those who need that.

Maybe the fact that it looks like a "gentleman's military" puts people off. I don't know..
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:34 pm
Hopsbreath wrote:
Rex 45 selling like Fun-Dip at a little league game, and there sits the Knifeworks S90V framelock Military for virtually the same price. I swear I don’t understand what drives knife sales.
That knifeworks S90V framelock is really a nice knife. I have mine and am very glad to have it. I am shocked to hear that they are still available. Maybe knifeworks got a run of 10,000 or something? I'm not serious, but it is a real sleeper for no particular reason. If anybody missed the Rex45 and wants a great Military, they need look no further. Titanium and CF, and an excellent steel, stainless too for those who need that.

Maybe the fact that it looks like a "gentleman's military" puts people off. I don't know..
Given the choice between the Jade/black M4 or the TiCF Millie, I think I'd go for the Knifeworks.

Equally surprising is the number of Mule Team knives still available. Not exactly bad steels either.
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Hopsbreath wrote:

The KW Green/204p Millie took two and a half years to sell out.
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

Philo Beddoe wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:37 pm
Tucson Tom wrote:
Hopsbreath wrote:

I'm very glad I got both of the knifeworks millies I think they're 2 of the best offered.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

Sjucaveman wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:47 pm
Philo Beddoe wrote:
Tucson Tom wrote:
Hopsbreath wrote:

I'm very glad I got both of the knifeworks millies I think they're 2 of the best offered.
+1
Totally agree!
Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

Got my Military Rex 45 today ...thanks Blade HQ. Besides the uneven grind on the show side by the tip (doesn’t bother me) ...the knife is built very well with good action , centering, and awesome build quality. This is my first G10 /Linerlock Millie as I have only the Titanium fluted and KW Ti/CF framelocks! The detent is much lighter on this Rex version ( still works fantastic ) ....Is this normal for the G10 militaries? Thanks in advance!

James
Attachments
2018-12-01 19.23.17.jpg
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Cycletroll wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:53 pm
Sjucaveman wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:47 pm
Philo Beddoe wrote:
Tucson Tom wrote:

+1
Totally agree!
The 204p exclusive is one of the best that's been offered, imo.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
anycal

Post by anycal »

Extra330SC wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:35 pm
Got my Military Rex 45 today ...thanks Blade HQ. Besides the uneven grind on the show side by the tip (doesn’t bother me) ...the knife is built very well with good action , centering, and awesome build quality. This is my first G10 /Linerlock Millie as I have only the Titanium fluted and KW Ti/CF framelocks! The detent is much lighter on this Rex version ( still works fantastic ) ....Is this normal for the G10 militaries? Thanks in advance!

James

From my experience, yes.
Peter
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

Extra330SC wrote:

James
Yeppers, the framelocks have a much stronger detent. Liner lock Militaries are better for flicking though if that’s your preference.
Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

anycal wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:01 am
Extra330SC wrote:

James

From my experience, yes.
Hopsbreath wrote:
Extra330SC wrote:

James
Yeppers, the framelocks have a much stronger detent. Liner lock Militaries are better for flicking though if that’s your preference.
Thanks! The KW exclusive definitely has the stronger detent between the two framelocks . Amazing how light this G10 Rex millie is....definitely going to get the M4 DLC Blade HQ version.

James
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Burnt Orange Millie from TQK, check!
KC preorder cancelled, check!

This will be the last Spydie of 2018 for me... phew, it's been a great but expensive year, Thanks Spyderco!

On the subject of detent strength; my Forest Green KW 204P, REX45 Sprint and Ti fluted Millies all have comparable detent strength. They're secure, but flip easily, either with a thumb flick, or a brisk wrist snap. The KW CF/Ti on the other hand, needs a really sharp wrist snap and doesn't always open all the way with a thumb flick... I think it's a combination of the firmer lockbar tension and maybe more friction between the detent ball and the blade material, it definitely has a subtle scuffing sound and feel when opening/closing (the knife has been carefully cleaned/lubed and the ball track is already polished to remove the grind pattern, so it would almost have to be an inherent property of S90V).
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
attila

Post by attila »

For those who are still looking for these and like to purchase from the SFO, they have about 8 or 9 of these Militaries as of 1300 EST. I happened to call and found that they were about to update the webpage with what few they received this morning.

Also, Cutleryshoppe customer service told me, on Friday, to keep an eye on their Instagram page. That is the first place they will announce receiving their next expected shipment. They requested 20, I think, but they don't know how many they'll actually get.

Good luck to those who need it!
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
mb1

Post by mb1 »

The USPS finally released mine from captivity today! Looks great. Only nit is a noticeably wider grind at the tip on one side vs the other. Not a big deal.

Very strong detent on mine. It surprised me at first. It’s easily twice as strong as my KW 204P version. It’s nearly as strong as the M4 Yo2 I received, which is the strongest I’ve ever experienced.

I don’t see this change as a negative, just noting a difference over what I’ve observed in the past.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

PStone

Post by PStone »

Extra330SC wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:58 pm
Good luck

https://www.knivesplus.com/spyderco-mil ... knife.html
Good luck received! Thank you!! Order placed :spyder:
husq2100

Post by husq2100 »

Extra330SC wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:58 pm
Good luck

https://www.knivesplus.com/spyderco-mil ... knife.html
Their website is not set up for international. I phoned them and got some good help from Danner. Emailed and fingers crossed.

Thanks