Why Didn't You Buy A Manix 2 Back Lock?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Eli Chaps

Why Didn't You Buy A Manix 2 Back Lock?

Post by Eli Chaps »

This is a question I've been asking myself ever since it went on the discontinued list. This is in no way meant to be nasty. Quite the contrary, I think it is something worth pondering and openly sharing to see if Sal and folks can gleam anything from our thoughts.

I love the Manix 2 LW. I have multiples and carry one pretty much every day. I also love back locks. I would say that the CBBL and mid-back lock are tied for my all time favorites so it would stand to reason that on the surface, I would be an ideal customer for the Manix 2 BL. But I didn't buy one. Why? I was so excited when they were announced, but when they released, I didn't get one. Then when I got a new-knife itch, I'd sit and stare at pictures of the BL, but still, I didn't buy one. I can't tell you how many times I pondered it, but, well, you know...

A minor consideration was not wanting the same knife design in two different lock styles to avoid confusion. Again, minor as I still carry other lock types but they are in different styles. But it did float around in my melon.

Then there was the notion that I already have examples of the knife, albeit in LW dress, so maybe I should keep trying out designs I don't have. Enter the Sage 5, Chaparral LW, etc.

But a bigger concern for me is the handle jimping. I sand it off of my LW's and I was concerned about the feel on the steel liners. A concern not limited to the BL model obviously.

And then there is the stamped clip. I know to many that will seem weak but after two different incidents over the years of that stamped clip causing some serious scratches on things I didn't want scratched, I'm almost exclusively a wire clip guy now. There has to be a lot I want in a knife for me to overcome my clip bias these days.

I feel like they made this knife largely in response to online requests but yet it didn't make the cut. I plead guilty on this one. Maybe I've become picky.

Anyway, as always, thank you Sal and Spyderco for trying out new things and tossing bait into our knife-nut infested waters to see what we'll bite on!

:)
Crazy Canuck

Re: Why Didn't You Buy A Manix 2 Back Lock?

Post by Crazy Canuck »

I'm in the opposite camp, although I was late to the party. I ordered and received a Manix 2 Back Lock last week. I never had a G10 Manix 2, but had the LW for a while, but sold it as I did not like the lock very much. I liked the idea of the Manix 2 with the back lock and reduced body jimping. Don't know how much carry it will see though, because I forgot how large in the hand it is! Native/Delica/Para 3/UKPK/Urban are more my size preference.

It is a high quality knife though. Same great ergos, just with the back lock that I have been preferring lately. I'm not usually in a hurry to open or close my knives, so the non-flicking action isn't an issue. I was a bit surprised to see them get disco'd, as it was nice to have the option between the CBBL and back lock. At least I got one before stock disappeared :)
- Mike

Singing along with the voices in my head
ferider

Post by ferider »

"Why Didn't You Buy A Manix 2 Back Lock?"

Because I already have one, a Manix 80mm. :)

I like all my Manix knives to have steel liners.

Roland.
michaelm466

Post by michaelm466 »

Like most knives, I was waiting for a sprint run. I have multiple Militaries, PM2s, Manix and Enduras, but none in the standard S30V/Vg-10/154cm. I will probably pick one up if I can before they all disappear though.
kvdo

Post by kvdo »

Pretty much only one reason - lack of major bevels on the handle edges.

I have smaller hands than most, so thick handled knives with square cross sections and unbeveled edges are extremely uncomfortable, like holding a sharpened brick. The PM2/Para3 are rarely seeing pocket time for this reason.

I don't know why those knives don't have handle bevels like the Military - it's much larger yet much more ergonomic due to the bevels.

Sure, I could sand the G-10 down myself or get aftermarket scales, oooor I could just get a knife that has good ergos from the start.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Agree with kvdo.
Thicker scales need chamfering. Handle was uncomfortable in my medium hand.
Otherwise it’s a great knife.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Are you talking to me? I bought 3. Admittedly the last 2 when it went on the discontinued list. One of my all time favorite Spydercos. I like the chunky feel in my hand. I like the big thick stout S30V blade. I like the solid and strong backlock (which I understand has the same CQI tweaks as the Native 5).

Like michaelm466 I was waiting for sprint runs, like I am on the Shaman. I spend some time worrying about the Shaman that while myself and others wait for a sprint run, it will go on the discontinued list as well since we didn't buy the production version. But doubt if knife sales to the handful of aficionados on this forum make or break a knife.
Last edited by Tucson Tom on Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I didn't buy one because they ran it in the wrong size :)
:unicorn
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I was waiting on a sprint. I wanted to pick one up on closeout but didn’t have the funds. Hopefully I can find one on the secondary market someday.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I love my Manix2 back lock and it was a my yard knife for a bit.

While it is a tank of a knife, it got me thinking that a thinner back lock model would be nice... Now I'm wishing for a linerless PM2 back lock with a thinner blade width (3mm, 2.5mm?). But maybe the Manix had thicker blade stock to match width of the G10 required for strength?
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I have been carrying my new Police 4 a lot. I just got out my Manix Backlock and I am amazed at how smooth the Manix Backlock is, especially to close the knife. I wish the Police 4 was like it. The Police 4 is pretty obnoxious to get the backlock to release and close. Maybe it will break in.

The Backlock Manix is a dream. Makes me wonder if the CQI that was done on the Manix could be applied to the Police and if that would be beneficial.

In general though I am much more concerned with how smoothly a knife opens, but it is certainly nice when every aspect is ideal.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

Because I don't buy any lockback knives.
anycal

Post by anycal »

Manix 2 LW was my first Manix, and it wasn't my favorite. Then I bought the skeletonized liner G10 model from BHQ. Definitely made me enjoy the platform a lot more.

Even though the G10 CBBL Manix makes it into my rotation on regular basis, I determined that I am not purchasing anymore Manix models, regardless of materials and locks. I prefer a PM2 in this type/size.

Ultimately, this is why I didn't buy a Manix 2 back lock.
Last edited by anycal on Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peter
ferider

Post by ferider »

abbazaba wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:15 am
... While it is a tank of a knife,....
Hmm.

Backlock Manix:

Two slabs of G10 held together by backspacer and Pivot screw. Both Pivot and Lock-axis sit directly in G10, no other enforcement (as for instance the steel washers in the Manix LW).

And in contrast, the 80mm Manix:

Now that's sturdy.

PS: 80mm Manix picture by Murdoc in //forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.php?t=46269
PPS: Backlock picture by 91bravo in //forum.spyderco.com/viewto ... &start=160
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i held one in the sfo and i thought it was just too thick to replace my manix 2 lw. it was fine in the hand, but it would’ve been much more compelling at the same thickness as other versions. that goes for blade stock and handle thickness.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

A combination of things. The Manix is my favorite design and the BBL is my favorite lock, but I already have, I think, 17 of them. When the M2 Backlock came out I was considering several other new spydies and I think that's about when I got the long-awaited D'Allara 3. I handled the M2 BL and found the corners uncomfortable and thought about sanding them but didn't get it at the time. I've picked up a belt sander since then. If I'd had it at the time, I might have bought the M2 BL. I also have a pile of backlocks, but all else equal strongly favor the BBL.

In-hand comfort is one of my biggest considerations. I complained a few years back about different runs of PM2 having differing amounts of chamfering on the G-10. That may not be so now, with the new factory expansion, etc.

The Shaman is a great design, but for me the handle is too small for comfort, spoiled by the notion that the blade must totally fill the handle (or handle be reduced to the size of the blade) :( I think a heavy duty knife like that must have a hande that is comfortable for a significant amount of work. Oh well, every knife can't have every feature to please every person ;) Will the Chief solve this problem?

And nobody can fault Spyderco for not having enough varieties to choose from.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

1) Sliverax

2) Shaman

3) Holding out for sprints of either.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Too many other knives to buy and not enough money. :)
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

The Backlock manix beat the shaman out of my pocket.
I'm a big advocate for it. Feels a lot better than a regular manix due to lack of handle jimping.

That said, it is a pocket hog. And I would have loved if it were to have come out in some other steel. If it were released in m4 from the start everyone would have owned it.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I didn't buy a Manix 2 back lock because I have several other back lock models and I'm quite happy with the Manix 2/Manix 2 LW w/CBBL.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!