Compression Lock Millie?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Compression Lock on the Military?

Yes
53%
No
40%
I don't care as long as it is a Military
7%

Total votes: 100

awa54

Re: Compression Lock Millie?

Post by awa54 »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:24 pm

Well, that does sound like a bit of a special case. A liner lock with a safety in essence, which actually causes more problems than it solves.
Interesting. Something I had never heard of.

Tom, the thing you can see in that image isn't the lock face, but the unlocking cam; it's a floating/sliding wedge, with serrations on it for grip, which you push back away from the blade to retract the perfectly normal liner lock, which is otherwise inaccessible, because there are no cutouts in the handle scale to allow you to push it sideways with your thumb like in a conventional design.

Definitely a "solution in search of a problem" type of design... the lock does allow the handle scales to be smooth and symmetric, but in the process creates a safety hazard and another way for dirt to reduce the reliability of the lock. To top it off the blade is AUS-6 at 55HRC... needless to say, it isn't a stellar performer in edge retention!

My excuse is that It looked cool, was cheap on closeout and I hadn't become a Spyderholic yet. It's gotten 0 pocket time in the last several years.
Last edited by awa54 on Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Crux

Post by Crux »

CRKT dropped that stupid combo. The slide is now manual on similar products. And yes, it was stupid.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

awa54 wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:42 pm

My excuse is that It looked cool, was cheap on closeout and I hadn't become a Spyderholic yet. It's gotten 0 pocket time in the last several years.
Nonetheless, I am glad you provided the info. AUS-6 eh? Well if the price is right and it hasn't cut you too many times .....
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:20 am
awa54 wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:42 pm

Nonetheless, I am glad you provided the info. AUS-6 eh? Well if the price is right and it hasn't cut you too many times .....

It was only once...

https://youtu.be/Ad9mlvyA84E :( seems I can't embed the clip, so you'll have to follow the link!
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
jezabel

Post by jezabel »

I wouldn’t change a thing with the Millie.
I love the compression locks, BUT they are nowhere near as glove friendly.
It can become a chore accessing the compression lock real quick when wearing rigging gloves,
The Millie shines outdoors as it is.

j
Crux

Post by Crux »

I always carry an Endura for gloves and just because. It's easier than the frame lock by far.
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

jezabel wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:45 am
I wouldn’t change a thing with the Millie.
I love the compression locks, BUT they are nowhere near as glove friendly.
It can become a chore accessing the compression lock real quick when wearing rigging gloves,
The Millie shines outdoors as it is.

j
I'm at least the 4th person with the same opinion on this. First - the Military is allround the most ergonomic folder ever made IMO. I am a fan of tip up compression lock... when that those are the best solutions, and I am a big PM2 fan where those work fine.
But the Military works great AS IS, so no value-added for me to change the lock. Back locks work with heavy gloves, but so does the liner lock on the Mili, and it is cold now and any user knife has to be open-able and close-able with mittens on... and provide a secure grip in use. The mili passes all these tests. Not all liner locks do (GB1 and 2 liner locks are not operable without scale modification when wearing thick gloves). As much as I like the PM2, the Mili is much better with gloves.

This is not a can't abide changes philosophy, it is a whatever works best philosophy!
DBCOOPER

Post by DBCOOPER »

What if they just made a pm2 xl?
Sense there are little differences between the 2
I came here to cut sh#$ with my knives and chew bubblegum, and I'm all out of bubblegum
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

DBCOOPER wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:09 am
No! If a knife is the size and shape of the Military, no matter what you call it, it must have a liner lock, or the bad guys win.
Crux

Post by Crux »

dj moonbat wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:39 am
DBCOOPER wrote:
No! If a knife is the size and shape of the Military, no matter what you call it, it must have a liner lock, or the bad guys win.
Spyderco invented the compression lock. So, who are these bad guys you speak of?
DBCOOPER

Post by DBCOOPER »

Tho I like the liner lock and compression lock, I prefer the comp lock, and have had zero problems with it (tho I'm not sure which is stronger, this is my opinion)
If they made a military with pm2 specs and a comp lock I'd like it, and personally I would buy it, tho I'm not sure if any kind of changes between the two would be worth it for Spyderco, as others have said, if it's not broken don't fix it
I came here to cut sh#$ with my knives and chew bubblegum, and I'm all out of bubblegum
BigGrove

Post by BigGrove »

As stated already, don't mess with the original and proven design.

Something like an XL Paramilitary 2 makes more sense. The amount of engineering to rework the Military for compression lock would make it a brand new clean sheet design anyway.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

dj moonbat wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:39 am
DBCOOPER wrote:
My frame lock Military comes in tomorrow

*insert evil laugh*
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
FK

Post by FK »

Why change perfection ?

FK
Crux

Post by Crux »

FK wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:06 pm
Why change perfection ?

FK
I tell my wife that all the time. :(
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

FK wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:06 pm
Why change perfection ?

FK
I wouldn't really call it a change. The existence of titanium framelock millie's didn't change the military. But to answer the question why: simply to satisfy a desire in the market. Spyderco does an excellent job of satisfying their customers as it is, so it's far from mandatory that they do this, but since they're often so willing to go above and beyond, I see it as a good suggestion.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
Crux

Post by Crux »

The Military should be a Flipper. Only then would it go from obscurity to be mainstream.

he he he
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Crux wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:19 pm
The Military should be a Flipper. Only then would it go from obscurity to be mainstream.

he he he
Lol. To be honest I just realized this thread doesn't specify what kind of change. I bet some of the people answering "no" thought of it as a proposal to permanently change the military. If I had looked at it that way I'd answer "no" as well.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

I just forced myself to put my Millie away cuz it's been hogging all the pocket time for the last month. I'm a bit of a fan. And I'd be all over a compression lock model. Yes, the liner lock works fine, but I work a compression lock so much better. I also feel that compresion locks work better on longer handles (or maybe it's just my Ent-like hands), so I imagine it would be a superb utilization of the technology. The only lock I like better is the sadly forgotten bolt lock, but I'd have to think about squeezing that one into a Military chassis.
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
Crux

Post by Crux »

This is a repost from another thread that is pertinent here, or whatever that means.
If they made a Para 3 with a chocolate (dark and a little sea salt) blade I'd be the first one in line to buy it. Elmax is a no brainer, but why do you bring tariffs into this polite conversation? I'm thinking you missed the definitive chart posted in another thread that clearly details whether you should buy any given knife, which is clearly bordering on phycological technical stuff I slept through, but kinda remember in scattered dreams. The chart shows that yes you should buy that knife. I really can't see any other option.

I say, along with an estimate of close to 20-50 million others, if it's a Para 3 then it can't be wrong. 50 million might possibly say YES!

The PM2 shines as well and is 99.2% not wrong, closely behind the Para 3 with Granddad Millie, Military for those that have had it so long they forgot what it's really called or pretty much the rest of us :) . The compromise I suggest, after being dragged out to a bar (don't judge), is that the Military should stay the same. If anything add a bayonet lug. :)