Compression Lock Millie?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Compression Lock on the Military?

Yes
53%
No
40%
I don't care as long as it is a Military
7%

Total votes: 100

murphjd25

Re: Compression Lock Millie?

Post by murphjd25 »

I voted no. Why change something that is perfect the way it is.
Josh
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Leave well enough alone.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

I love the military the way it is. I wouldn't want it changed.

Also true: if I owned a compression lock Military, it would see MUCH more pocket time than the original. I'd only prefer the liner lock when using thick gloves.

====================================

Locks are personal preference and completely subjective. Some people are presenting logical (objective) arguments against having a compression lock Military that don't exactly compute imo.

I think it's always good to find out where the demand lies in the spyderco community. A particular model doesn't have to make sense to everyone, it only has to sell. Spyderco is such an awesome company for their willingness to branch out and provide numerous variations of knives to please their customer base. They are even (graciously) willing to partake in some financial gambles in their quest to please the community. In doing so, they've earned a wholesome and admirable reputation in the knife world. They go above and beyond when they could be huge success by making great knives in 3-4 steels alone. The forum may be a small piece of the customer base, but still serves as a good indicator of what would sell, and I really like threads like this, even if the suggestion being presented isn't my cup of tea.

Personally, I'd like to see some kind of PM2 XL or Police 5 with 4.5" of cutting surface, beefy full liners (kind of like the Gayle Bradley 1), oversized phosphor bronze washers, and a compression lock. I'd be fine with a backlock as well (the only reason I don't own a Police 4 is the lack of corrosion resistance, it would be disappointing for such a great knife not to see ample pocket time - I will buy one when the time is right). The Military is, IMO, such an iconic model that it doesn't need a major change like this. But we must ask ourselves, did the backlock Manix 2 ruin the original Manix? Did the frame lock ruin the Military? I don't think it would have a horrendous negative impact on the existing Military. But first and foremost Sal has to know whether or not this idea would sell, and threads like this certainly give him insight into that matter. I'd be very surprised if it didn't sell out immediately.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'm all on board for more folders with 4.5" blades. It's a significantly under represented area for Spyderco. Though I understand they don't sell as well as 3-3.5" blade folders, there is still a market.
:unicorn
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

It is my go to winter knife. I am outside in the cold a lot and the Military is pretty easy to use even with thick gloves on. I would probably buy a comp lock Military but I wouldn’t really prefer it over the liner lock version.

Honestly, I have plenty of Militaries so it doesn’t make much difference to me if it changes. I have enough to last me for the rest of my life. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
tuezh

Post by tuezh »

Definitely, liner lock is not user friendly for lefties that has been what stops me from buying a military.
fatsubie

Post by fatsubie »

It would be my first military.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Vivi wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:56 pm
I'm all on board for more folders with 4.5" blades. It's a significantly under represented area for Spyderco. Though I understand they don't sell as well as 3-3.5" blade folders, there is still a market.
Especially Golden made ones and ones that aren't over $200.

I'm imagining a Military XL LW.
4.5'
FRN
BD1(n) steel.
I'd pay around $120 to $140
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Lol maybe it's overkill to most, but I specified 4.5" cutting surface. I guess that would make the blade 4.8", given it has the (nearly) 50/50 choil of the police/paras/millie.

I like big blades and I cannot lie.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
vivi

Post by vivi »

Works for me :)

I find larger folders a lot more versatile and efficient.
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

Some people get freaked out if you talk about changing the Military. Just call it the Para 4, or the Para XL, and everything will be great.
anycal

Post by anycal »

As I am sitting here, fondling one of these, compression lock would fit this knife very well, ergonomically. It would require a strong detent as the blade is heavy.

What kind of a Military thread is this, without pictures?

Peter
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:04 pm
It is my go to winter knife. I am outside in the cold a lot and the Military is pretty easy to use even with thick gloves on. I would probably buy a comp lock Military but I wouldn’t really prefer it over the liner lock version.

Honestly, I have plenty of Militaries so it doesn’t make much difference to me if it changes. I have enough to last me for the rest of my life. :)
This is 100% where I'm at. It would maybe suck down the road when the next amazing steel comes out if it comes in a new Military design that I don't like as much, but that's life. Like you I too have enough to last me the rest of my life and I've gotten some of the best versions so I'm open to change. The glove thing is just something not everyone gets if they're only casually using their knives.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
awa54

Post by awa54 »

My vote is for no change, I wouldn't begrudge a comp. lock Millie for those who want one, but Spyderco certainly doesn't need to change it for me ;) The current Millie's balance of blade length, light weight, thinness and strength is hard to argue with.

Any revision of the Military would have to keep the same handle dimensions for me to consider it... While a comp. lock would likely do that almost any other conventional lock would probably require subtle (or not so subtle) changes.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
navin johnson

Post by navin johnson »

Would buy another....won't buy another with liner lock. Liner lock is a favorite. My Millie won't stay opened well. Not sure if the lock geometry is off....lock is worn....or stop pin is worn/flattened. Been back twice and do to CQI was told twice that it couldn't be fixed. ( I guess CQI has pluses and minuses).

Still use it for slaying boxes.... and that's about it.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

What is with all this whining and fussing about closing a liner lock knife? Unless you are daft, I can't see how this poses any problem whatsoever. Is there actually someone out there who has cut themselves closing a liner lock? Don't be shy, 'fess up!

I was shocked actually when I read that some people are saying this is some kind of safety issue. Do these people actually own and use liner lock knives?
vivi

Post by vivi »

I never had issues closing a Millie, or having it close unintentionally. I had issues with it, and other liner locks opening unintentionally.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:46 pm
What is with all this whining and fussing about closing a liner lock knife? Unless you are daft, I can't see how this poses any problem whatsoever. Is there actually someone out there who has cut themselves closing a liner lock? Don't be shy, 'fess up!

I was shocked actually when I read that some people are saying this is some kind of safety issue. Do these people actually own and use liner lock knives?

I have a CRKT Convergence, that features a weird little sliding block to cam the hidden liner-lock open... it requires you to put your thumb (or finger, but the thumb is the most natural digit to use) in the way of the closing blade to manipulate it, if the lock gives any resistance to opening, you have to use more force, then when it unlocks that force is applied to the blade, swinging it down on your thumb knuckle.

So yes, I have cut myself with a knife that's technically a liner lock, but no I've never cut myself with a normally operated liner lock... and I one-hand close most of them.

If you managed to cut yourself closing the Military, you've earned bonus Darwin Award points, since the forward lobe of the choil hits your thumb first, preventing the edge from getting anywhere near your hand! I tried it lefty too and while the edge gets a bit closer, the choil still gives a solid safety margin.
Attachments
convergence001.jpg
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Crux

Post by Crux »

I have pretty much every kind of knife locking mechanism with a lot of CRKT knives and their unique designs. I think the compression lock is by far my favorite, which help explain my Para 3 and PM2 devotion. I also have a Sage 5 as well. That actually led me to order the Amalgam that I saw on this forum, but really didn't need but it is a flipper so I think it's justified.

Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

awa54 wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:44 pm
Tucson Tom wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:46 pm

I have a CRKT Convergence, that features a weird little sliding block to cam the hidden liner-lock open... it requires you to put your thumb (or finger, but the thumb is the most natural digit to use) in the way of the closing blade to manipulate it, if the lock gives any resistance to opening, you have to use more force, then when it unlocks that force is applied to the blade, swinging it down on your thumb knuckle.
Well, that does sound like a bit of a special case. A liner lock with a safety in essence, which actually causes more problems than it solves.

Interesting. Something I had never heard of.

Looking at your photos, I can see why they "need" it. The ramp for the liner lock is very steep, almost a 45 degree angle, so there is no way the spring action of a normal liner lock would ever do the job. I guess that is one way to build a knife. I'm not even sure it counts as a liner lock. Either that or I am not getting a proper understanding looking at the pictures.