Alcyone a sporty gentlemans knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
cbrstar

Alcyone a sporty gentlemans knife

Post by cbrstar »

I'm a watchmaker. Many years ago if you told me a Chinese watch could be well made, and decent quality, I would have kindly told you that you're wrong. I had been brainwashed to believe that only Swiss/Japanese could make a good watch. Then one day I discovered Seagull watches and frankly I was blown away and had to eat my words. The thing was Seagull was not only good quality but they were cheap being 1/10th the price of their Swiss counterparts. But as all things on the internet they skyrocketed in price once the secret was out.

tl;dr
Why mention a watch on a knife forum? Well I feel like this is a similar situation where Spyderco has released something special and the price will eventually go up.

First of all the fit and finish on this knife feels much better then your avg Chinese made Spyderco. There's no sharp edges, the screws are nice, and the waffle g10 feels great in the hand. They even bothered to put a nice satin finish on the spacers instead of leaving them stainless.

Is it me or when Sal puts his name on a Spyderco there's just a little extra something special and refined about it?
The only flaw in this knife is that by the pivot screw there is some discoloration in the G10. At the store they were all like this, and I suspect that it's because of the recent Canadian knife laws the pivots were tightened down too far so they could get them over the border.

The lock up IMHO is great. I love how the blade is angled to prolong wear and the liner is solid but easily disengaged. The liners have been skeletonised.

Sorry I know it's not a good pic but the blade centering is perfect. And the knife comes with copper washers.

I haven't cut too much but the blade chomps down like your usual flat grind Spyderco. The blade is CTS-BD1 which from what I read is the American equivalent to Hitachi GIN-1. My understanding is that VG-10 is better, but in my mind it's a good compromise compared to other American budget steels like 420HC.

I chose this pic to show off how in my mind the scales are pretty unique. They are translucent with a small coat of grey on top. I imagine with owning and using this knife the grey will wear down hopefully making the knife look broken in. Personally though I think Spyderco could have done something like a light green so that when the light shines though the handle it would have a cool emerald effect.

Blends nicely into the scenery on my morning walk.

It's hard to sum up what this knife is. In a way even though it's apples and oranges, the knife I can't help but compare it to is the Chaparral. The dimensions, soft edges and coloring make it feel it's not tactical like a Persistence, but IMHO It's a refined sporty and mature Gentlemans knife.
Last edited by cbrstar on Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cbrstar

Re: Alcyone a sporty gentlemans knife

Post by cbrstar »

I have two military's, PM2, PM3, and a Native 5 light weight. A couple weeks ago I bought a used Tenacious and a byrd Cara Cara 2 out of curiosity, only to find myself pleasantly surprised. Gave the the Tenacious to my Father as a work knife.
Because of those knives I found myself even more curious about the Polestar and Alcyone as just like the Byrd Raven 2, everyone who actually owns one seems to love it! From my understanding it's a differn't factory that makes these then the Tenacious and byrd, and frankly they seem to be doing a much better job in the fit and finish dept.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Love my Polestar. Takes a great polish. I keep it in my edc bag I bring with me to work. It is my big knife. Usually keep a small knife in my pocket.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
cbrstar

Post by cbrstar »

knivesandbooks wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:28 pm
Love my Polestar. Takes a great polish. I keep it in my edc bag I bring with me to work. It is my big knife. Usually keep a small knife in my pocket.
The Polestar looks amazing, my local knife store sold out of them on black friday. How long have you had yours?
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

cbrstar wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:46 pm
knivesandbooks wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:28 pm
The Polestar looks amazing, my local knife store sold out of them on black friday. How long have you had yours?
Oh since about June. It is a pretty great knife. Lockup is good, action is fine, f&f are much better than I expected. If I could wish for one thing it would be a thinner blade stock. But it is a real worker.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

I'm a huge Polestar fan,and the Alcyone is on my buy list for next year.I only wish Sal will came out with a fixed blade based on this design.3.5'' blade,skeletonized full tang,same blade shape,same grey g10-let's call it Pollux or Antares.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
olywa

Post by olywa »

Thanks for the great pics. One of these is on my wish list but there are a couple of things holding me back. I can't decide between the Polestar and the Alcyone, and I'm wondering if they will be transitioning to bd1n anytime soon.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Cbrstar,

Thanx for the review and kind words. The Polestar and Alcyone are special projets of mine with much history on the design and the maker. Even the steel has a history. Glad you are enjoying the design.

sal
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Great review, and the knife looks great as well.
Piet.S

Post by Piet.S »

I got my Acyone at the Amsterdam meet, last march. It's my work knife since then. It's easy to live with and does all I want from it. The action is nice and smooth and it is especially easy to close single handed. A very useful feature in a work situation. Makes it a very good everyday compagnion.
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

olywa wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:22 am
Thanks for the great pics. One of these is on my wish list but there are a couple of things holding me back. I can't decide between the Polestar and the Alcyone, and I'm wondering if they will be transitioning to bd1n anytime soon.
You need both,of course ;)
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

spyderwolf wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:10 pm
olywa wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:22 am
You need both,of course ;)
Seriously considering getting the Alcyone so I'll have the pair.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

cbrstar wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:28 pm

Is it me or when Sal puts his name on a Spyderco there's just a little extra something special and refined about it?
The only flaw in this knife is that by the pivot screw there is some discoloration in the G10. At the store they were all like this, and I suspect that it's because of the recent Canadian knife laws the pivots were tightened down too far so they could get them over the border.

Blends nicely into the scenery on my morning walk.

Amen to that ! It reminds me of my history with the Byrd Crow. Such a refined design( Sal's I remind you) and such an underrated little folder that is. I was about to pull the trigger on the Alcyone a few times but... I don't know what stoped me... well, now I think I know. I was afraid that this semi-budget 60$ chinese made, would displace most if not all of my 100$ + spydies from my paocket. Anyway, that last scenery picture of yours pushed me over the edge. Nice writing cbrstar ... keep'em coming.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Currently sharpening up my Polestar for some real pocket time becyase of this.
kirill.sergueev

Post by kirill.sergueev »

When I decided to get myself first serious Spyderco I got in my local store and after long deliberation chose Polestar. Get it home looked a little bit and returned it in exchange for Endura with extra $10 or something. Was happy ever since and added few more Spydercos to my collection. Just did not get any traction with Polestar. Alcyone I did not consider.
sal

Post by sal »

Sometimes traction takes a bit of time and use to experience the design and spirit of the model. Glad you're happy with the Endura.

sal
kirill.sergueev

Sal, I am got traction with Dragonfly, Delica, Endura, PM2 and Harpy - knives of your classic collection and I am more than happy with A.T.R.2 and P.I.T.S. - knives you retired. All of them I got less than in 9 months after I returned that Polestar.
sal

Post by sal »

No prob Krill, Different strokes. We make a lot of different designs for different preferences. I was just surprised at the Polestar, considering your traction on the others. . :confused: All of the models you mentioned are my designs except for the PITS. the Para 2 was an Eric redesign of the original.

sal
kirill.sergueev

Sal, over the years you made more great designs of knives than perhaps anyone else since Neolithic time. But what is the difference of Polestar/Alcyone vs Tenatious/Persistence? They are like a puzzle "find 10 differences" in my opinion. Yes steel is nicer, and construction is good but budget Chinese knifes are not that much behind if at all. I spent three days playing with Polestar comparing it to Ambitious (ridiculous of me but it is the only Spyderco I had before) and I like Ambitious actions better than Polestar.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

It’s funny how some people assume that out of 2 billion people in China there isn’t anyone who can make something well.