Sal, Can we get CPM 15v?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bluntcut

Re: Sal, Can we get CPM 15v?

Post by bluntcut »

I get better at ht 15v, rex121 so yeah I like them more now. 10v 68rc or lower rc performed better than 69+rc, I will keep rc between 65-68 for current ht. If ht 3.0 turned out well, I will push 1-2rc higher across all steels and definitely would try vanadis8 (maybe a couple blades at stupendous high price).
Bodog wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:00 pm

Yes, they're my go to all purpose knives around the house. How are you still liking 15V? The way it performed after your re-heat treatment was really, really good. My go to kitchen knife is still that razor thin paring knife in 10V. Don't remember how hard it was, 68 RC iirc. Still don't care for the rex 121 blade i have. Just sits unused in the drawer. I think it's the design more than the steel but still, I like 15V better.

Since they stopped making vanadis 10 and started making vanadis 8 because they wanted a bit more toughness, I'd think that would be an excellent cutlery steel.
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Nice, Vanadis 8, you talking about that piece at USAKNIFEMAKER?

Luong I'm really liking the 15v even though I'm rocking a lower hardness then you.

I got 10v at 67rc in a gyuto, .125" stock that I'm going to grind Down to a 0.020" tip taper and 0.002" bte of a 12dps edge. Very excited.

bluntcut wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:31 pm
I get better at ht 15v, rex121 so yeah I like them more now. 10v 68rc or lower rc performed better than 69+rc, I will keep rc between 65-68 for current ht. If ht 3.0 turned out well, I will push 1-2rc higher across all steels and definitely would try vanadis8 (maybe a couple blades at stupendous high price).
Bodog wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:00 pm

Yes, they're my go to all purpose knives around the house. How are you still liking 15V? The way it performed after your re-heat treatment was really, really good. My go to kitchen knife is still that razor thin paring knife in 10V. Don't remember how hard it was, 68 RC iirc. Still don't care for the rex 121 blade i have. Just sits unused in the drawer. I think it's the design more than the steel but still, I like 15V better.

Since they stopped making vanadis 10 and started making vanadis 8 because they wanted a bit more toughness, I'd think that would be an excellent cutlery steel.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
bluntcut

Post by bluntcut »

Yep, vanadis 8 pink unicorn at usaknifemaker - I won't pay for it with my green colorless blood ;)
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

bluntcut wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:53 pm
Yep, vanadis 8 pink unicorn at usaknifemaker - I won't pay for it with my green colorless blood ;)
Haha same, maybe we can both chip in for a piece ;)
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
bluntcut

Post by bluntcut »

Nah for ~ $60 a vanadis8 blank. I think CPM T-15 could offers more bangs/bucks and especially it probably supports very keen edge at similar hrc.
Deadboxhero wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:21 pm
bluntcut wrote:
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Nice!

bluntcut wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:07 am
Nah for ~ $60 a vanadis8 blank. I think CPM T-15 could offers more bangs/bucks and especially it probably supports very keen edge at similar hrc.
Deadboxhero wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:21 pm
bluntcut wrote:
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Shawn,

I'm watching the thread. A couple of questions came to mind;

1. What one model woulr work for a sprint in 15V?

2. If we were to divide up the ELUS' into groups; interested in exotic teels, not interested in steels. interested in looks, materials, etc. Not interested, etc. I wonder how the numbers would drop?

sal
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Right now it looks like anything sprinted in Para 2 or Para 3 sells out instantly.

Personally, I'd rather see it in a Manix though. :)
michaelm466

Post by michaelm466 »

sal wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:03 am
Hi Shawn,

2. If we were to divide up the ELUS' into groups; interested in exotic teels, not interested in steels. interested in looks, materials, etc. Not interested, etc. I wonder how the numbers would drop?

sal
I would vote Military first, then PM2 for a test model. I'm more interested in Steels than looks/handle materials. I was originally collecting all PM2 variations (the PM1 in CPM-D2 came out when I was first getting into knives/Spyderco) However, I have stayed away from buying a PM2 in the same steel but with just a variation in handle color. So I now every steel the PM2 has come out in and most of the steels the Military has come out in, but not every variation. I also like to actually use my sprints to get a feel for the steel rather that let them sit. The only PM2 steel I've missed is the Maxamet so I'm hoping that will be coming back (in the Military as well) and I'd love to see 15V.
Rutger

Post by Rutger »

I think Shawn suggested to make the Manix LW the new Mule/special steel folder before. It's a good design and affordable platform. My only gripe with the model is that it comes with a pinned construction.

I would love a Para 3 in 15V. The PM2 and Para 3 sprint models seem to sell the best.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Rutger wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:22 pm
I think Shawn suggested to make the Manix LW the new Mule/special steel folder before. It's a good design and affordable platform. My only gripe with the model is that it comes with a pinned construction.
Manix LW as the platform would be awesome for people who want to try the steel, because it wouldn't be an instant sell out (like PM2 or PM3). Probably less good for Spyderco's bottom line, so it might be a question of what the priority for the project is.

I still think that the UKPK would be the best "folding mule" platform. I personally prefer the Manix LW, but tons of people who want to try the new steels live in places where they can't EDC a Manix because of legal restrictions.

It's also worth noting that some "test" steels are better suited to different platforms--steels with high wear resistance and low toughness, for example, would likely shine in the UKPK but be less ideal for a larger fixed blade (or a larger folder) where high toughness steels would shine in the larger blades. So that might be a consideration too.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

15v would sell out in minutes if offered in a Military or Para model.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Sal, If possible we gotta have the Paramilitary 2, Para 3 and Military treatment on this steel and I'll always ask for micarta if possible. I feel like we are running out of G10 colors and 15v needs something to show it's special.
I'm thinking black canvas for this one.

If only one knife is possible, it would have to be the Pm2

I'd like to see the Manix 2 LW fill more of the role of the mule team.

However, I feel that for 15v, the knife is already going to be expensive to produce much like Maxamet so I'd rather have the features the pm2 offers over the Manix 2 LW.

15v in a PM2 would be the the full package.

sal wrote:
Hi Shawn,

sal
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

It seems my earlier post didn't go through, so let me just state for the record I would love to try some 15v. Personally I'd like a Native5 or Military, but pm2 or para3 would work for sure. Also wouldn't be opposed to an Ubran/UKPK or Manix 2.
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Baron Mind wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:28 pm
It seems my earlier post didn't go through, so let me just state for the record I would love to try some 15v. Personally I'd like a Native5 or Military, but pm2 or para3 would work for sure. Also wouldn't be opposed to an Ubran/UKPK or Manix 2.

Personally I'd love to see the Kapara in 15V with marbled carbon fiber. I know it'd be an expensive knife but the design seems spot on for this steel. I'd still love to see it taken thinner behind the edge with a disclaimer card saying it's not meant for rough, negligent use. Maybe even a chaparral. Something with thin blade stock and thin behind the edge with a handle that's super comfortable for prolonged, detailed use.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
Mstach07

Post by Mstach07 »

I’d be in for a Para 3 in micarta. But not the type shown above. Something more like the denim micarta that Northwoods puts out or a classy version that GEC has on their models... bone micarta or a white linen micarta.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Manix 2 XL, any handle besides c.f.

Native 5 lw, transluscent red (like those lamps at chinese restaurants)

UKPK G10 (some people would buy it to get a g10 UKPm, others for the steel, some for both.)

Or something with a around 4" blade length and thin stock.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Military.

An abundance of vanadium carbide lends itself to slicing, as do long blades, imo.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:17 am
Sal, If possible we gotta have the Paramilitary 2, Para 3 and Military treatment on this steel and I'll always ask for micarta if possible. I feel like we are running out of G10 colors and 15v needs something to show it's special.
I'm thinking black canvas for this one.

If only one knife is possible, it would have to be the Pm2

I'd like to see the Manix 2 LW fill more of the role of the mule team.

However, I feel that for 15v, the knife is already going to be expensive to produce much like Maxamet so I'd rather have the features the pm2 offers over the Manix 2 LW.

15v in a PM2 would be the the full package.

sal wrote:
Hi Shawn,

sal
Agreed. And thr PM2 pretty much guarantees sales.
TCnML

Post by TCnML »

TomAiello wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:26 am
Right now it looks like anything sprinted in Para 2 or Para 3 sells out instantly.

Personally, I'd rather see it in a Manix though. :)
I agree with this!