Compression Lock Millie?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Compression Lock on the Military?

Yes
53%
No
40%
I don't care as long as it is a Military
7%

Total votes: 100

Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Compression Lock Millie?

Post by Doc Dan »

I wonder if we will be able to get a Military with a Compression Lock? It would still leave a pretty light knife with flow through construction. Plus, in my mind, it would give us a better lock. I think the Compression Lock and Military would go together really well. What do you all think?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Tucson Tom

Re: Compression Lock Millie?

Post by Tucson Tom »

This is funny. A glanced at this, then did a search on something else (namely "back lock military") and saw that this very question has been asked in 2015, 2016, and 2017 at least. So clearly there is interest.

I think that the Military is too much of a classic and should be left as is. I like the compression lock, but I also like the military with the liner lock just fine.

If something that was a Military with a compression lock was designed and produced, it ought to be a knife of its own, not an evolution of the military. In one of the past polls it was suggested that it could be called a "Paramilitary XL", which would make a certain sense. Call it the Dictator.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

With all due respect this has come up before>> but I don't know what would be gained switching lock systems on the C-36 Military model. And I like the compression lock on the Para2 in particular. But to me it would be like putting a ball bearing lock on a Native model>> sure it would improve the model somewhat>> but why???

I've said so many times before on subjects like this "If It Isn't Broke Then Let's Not Try To Fix It" ;) And quite frankly I think the MILLIE is doing just fine the way the original designers drew it up.

Again the liner lock just continues to get a bad rap for no reason at all. I've never had a liner lock of Spyderco's, Benchmade's, Boker's or any other premium knife maker ever fail me. So it's just not Broke and it doesn't need fixing IMO.
kvdo

Post by kvdo »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:49 am
I've said so many times before on subjects like this "If It Isn't Broke Then Let's Not Try To Fix It" ;)
I find that line a bit amusing, with Spyderco's CQI and general improvements over time. The current iteration of the Military is certainly not the same as the first ones produced.

On one hand, I do agree that there doesn't seem to be much gained from making a compression lock Military.

On the other, Spyderco tends to be fairly optimistic about putting out many knives that either have wild designs (Tropen, Parata, Ouroboros), or many variations of similar/same models (Framelock/Liner lock Military, Backlock/Ball bearing lock Manix, Backlock/Compresision lock Lil Natives, a billion sprints in different steels)

A compression lock Military seems to fit right in with the mentality I feel Spyderco has, which is not "Why?", but "Why not?"

My "Why not?" would be "Because you still need to make the Stop Lock Military" :)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

OK then I'll put it this way. How would re-designing the C-36 Military model with a more expensive locking system benefit the model or the end line user? That's pretty much what I meant by that statement. The C-36 Military in it's basic form has been with us since the mid 90s. And it's been in the lineup that long for a very good reason. It was a success from the beginning ( and still is). The C-36 Military has been my main EDC for almost 3 years now and I have the luxury of making about any model my EDC if I want it bad enough.

The only reason I don't make the C-60 Ayoob my main EDC is because my Military model has a lot better blade steel ( M390) and you can only get an Ayoob in VG-10 >> which is not a bad steel at all but it's not even in the same league as M390. I've put that C-36, M390 Military through some really rough treatment for quite some time with no lock failure at all. So again why try to improve something that is already great to begin with. To me I think that's just good deductive reasoning>> not something silly or amusing :confused:

Also I'm willing to bet if they did make a Military model with a completely new locking system I bet it would probably cost anywhere between $75 to $125 more than it does now>> and we the consumer would be the loser because there wouldn't be enough improvement to make all that trouble worthwhile IMO.
Last edited by JD Spydo on Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:49 am
With all due respect this has come up before>> but I don't know what would be gained switching lock systems on the C-36 Military model. And I like the compression lock on the Para2 in particular. But to me it would be like putting a ball bearing lock on a Native model>> sure it would improve the model somewhat>> but why???

I've said so many times before on subjects like this "If It Isn't Broke Then Let's Not Try To Fix It" ;) And quite frankly I think the MILLIE is doing just fine the way the original designers drew it up.

Again the liner lock just continues to get a bad rap for no reason at all. I've never had a liner lock of Spyderco's, Benchmade's, Boker's or any other premium knife maker ever fail me. So it's just not Broke and it doesn't need fixing IMO.
What would be gained?

I would finally buy a Military!!!

So, everything is to be gained!

Edit: I don't like liner locks because I dont want my finger in the path of a closing blade. Not because it is any less robust.
Last edited by Sumdumguy on Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

I would like a back lock Millie.
kvdo

Post by kvdo »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:34 am
OK then I'll put it this way. How would re-designing the C-36 Military model with a more expensive locking system benefit the model or the end line user?
I find that a lot of non-knife people are nervous about using liner locks/frame locks, to the point where if I lend them one, they would refuse to attempt to close it themselves after I demonstrate how. Compression locks, AXIS locks, and the others where you remove your fingers from the blade path, are all fine to them.

It's a small reason perhaps, but I do like it when I can lend or gift someone a knife that they're entirely comfortable with.
ekimox

Post by ekimox »

The liner lock on the Military is fine and works great and I don't see a need for change. The design of the knife overall is near perfection. The only change I would love to see (as many have echoed before me) would be more options for the pocket clip location and deeper carry in the pocket. A tip up deep carry Military is my perfect Spyderco and would be an instant purchase for me and countless others.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I voted yes becuase I honestly would buy it.
I used to crave a backlock military until I got a police 4.
I would still take a backlock military, especially if it were linerless g10 like the native 5.
Comp lock would be pretty neat though.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I guess I'm a non knife person then. You know, I only use knives of all kinds for work every single day...
I can operate a comp or backlock in the dark at lightning speed(time is money), whereas with a liner lock, there is no way I'm going to blindly swing a lightsaber at my finger.

That's like saying, "I'm going to play hopscotch on the freeway, but don't worry I can just jump out of the car's way."

Liner locks are garbage(except on the Mantra). Compression and backlocks are the only type of locks worth anything!

Let the hate flow through you!!!

;)

ON THAT NOTE, GOODNIGHT!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
vivi

Post by vivi »

Wouldn't do anything for me. I sold all of my Military models because detent based locks aren't secure enough while closed for me. Sold all my Para 2's for the same reason.

Now if it had a self close mechanism like the Szabo folder I'd be on board. But if it's a standard compression lock, I'd rather stick with my Police.
:unicorn
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Not a fan of liner/frame locks. The McBee is the only one I currently carry. Not in the market for a Millie, but I'd be more likely to get one with a compression, backlock, or cbbl.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

The Millie is fine just the way it is.I don't understand why so many people love to hate the liner lock.You can cut yourself closing any lock-the liner will make you more careful,if anything.By the way,i love liner locks :p
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

No way. It's perfect as it is. I like linerlocks anyway so ...
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Chandelierman

Post by Chandelierman »

ekimox wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:42 am
The liner lock on the Military is fine and works great and I don't see a need for change. The design of the knife overall is near perfection. The only change I would love to see (as many have echoed before me) would be more options for the pocket clip location and deeper carry in the pocket. A tip up deep carry Military is my perfect Spyderco and would be an instant purchase for me and countless others.
Tip up Millie would be better...my Millie was the first para that I bought ....I didn't really look into it and thought they were all tip up / down carry :( I bought a PM2 now which I use daily ...all of my other spydies are tip up so id never get used to get used to tip down unless that was the only one I had ....I have been carrying a Kershaw wave for the last few months so its always going to be tip up for me.....and compression lock is my favourite ...I have accumulated a few spydies with various locks / blade steel and size to see what I like most and it is the compression lock without a doubt ....tho from what can see there are not many different models made with it ...although the PM2 is good I don't mind having a couple but don't want every variation of it
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I voted the last option.

I like linerlocks, because they are very easy and simple to operate. I have never had trouble with any linerlock knife.

Ive never owned a compression lock though and it seems to be pretty popular so I don't think you could go wrong with either.

I might lean more towards a linerlock though since it's easier to operate with thick gloves.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Freediver wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:36 am
I would like a back lock Millie.
Me, too. However, up to this point Spyderco has not shown any interest in this. The compression lock would be a good strong choice. I do not care for liner locks much. I tolerate them, basically.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

Stop lock, Compression Lock or Stop lock sounds great, as long as it's lefty friendly.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'd buy one because I like the lock, but at the same time I don't necessarily think it would be better because I think the Military is one of the best liner locks available and that lock fits the knife and intended use very well.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David