Sal, Can we get CPM 15v?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Deadboxhero

Re: Sal, Can we get CPM 15v?

Post by Deadboxhero »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:22 pm
Lets do this! Something with a thin blade though, Wharndelica would be my pick.
Nah let's keep it here in the USA. The Golden Crew has more experience with these kinds of steels.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:07 pm
Naperville wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:24 pm
CPM 14.9V is my limit! :D

Looks pretty weak on the toughness scale. Can you tell us what other steels rank similarly in toughness?
Anything with that much alloy won't be tough. It's ranks simliar to other high alloy steels.
S125v
Maxamet
Rex121

All the big dawgs
Thank you for responding!
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I'm not a S125V fan but I do really like 10V. I'm looking forward to trying 15V. It does seem like much but I remember thinking that about Cruwear and I never thought I was going to see 10V much less Maxamet. Who knows? Well see. :)

I'm glad to see Shawn making this thread. I've learned to not think "Sal would never go for that steel". If any company would and could it's Spyderco.

Joe
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

No S125v? Have ya tried some Joe? Who made it?

I've got some back from heat treatment at 62-63rc.

From talking to Russians at Bladeshow West. They told me they like it at 64-65rc. Which is very interesting.
They said it was stable for what it is too which Gave me some relief.

The steel is so expensive it's very painful to trailblaze and find all the dead ends.

We are using the lower tempering temps which helps.

The higher tempering temps coarsen the carbides and reduce stability for raw wear resistance, but I feel s125v has some wear resistance to spare and can use the bump in stability :D.

I'm stuck with my work currently. I need to sell lower alloy steels (which I also LOVE btw) so I can purchase belts to continue my research. These high Vanadium steels need very sharp ceramic grains to be cut. Otherwise it just creates heat from friction/rubbing.

I'm using an entry level grinder a made in China grizzly 120v, 1hp with no vfd.

So it's not just the belts.

It's costed a lot of money to learn this stuff with using and testing these steels but I don't think my results should be a secret. I'd like to see more companies and people pushing the boundaries. I can only make so many knives by hand so the more the merrier.

Not many realize there is actually a good amount of nitrogen in s125v. 0.125% actually which more then Nitro V at 0.1098% and is about as much as BD1N at 0.10-0.15% but not as much as LC200n at 0.4-0.5%
The Mastiff wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:08 am
I'm not a S125V fan but I do really like 10V. I'm looking forward to trying 15V. It does seem like much but I remember thinking that about Cruwear and I never thought I was going to see 10V much less Maxamet. Who knows? Well see. :)

I'm glad to see Shawn making this thread. I've learned to not think "Sal would never go for that steel". If any company would and could it's Spyderco.

Joe
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

I've been preaching 15V for some time. It's quite good when put into proper context. I wouldn't want a chopper out of it, likewise a kitchen knife, but for edc all purpose knives, it could do very well for a lot of people. I use mine as an all purpose fixed blade and keep it in context and it is impressive.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Bodog wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:11 am
I've been preaching 15V for some time. It's quite good when put into proper context. I wouldn't want a chopper out of it, likewise a kitchen knife, but for edc all purpose knives, it could do very well for a lot of people. I use mine as an all purpose fixed blade and keep it in context and it is impressive.
Based on my testing
I'd rock a 210mm gyuto in 15v.
Just not sure if I could afford to grind and finish it.
Also it would be a nightmare in novice hands not because of the steel but the geometry. I'd zero it out. :D
Remove the user error factor in trade for raw performance.
Geometry cuts.
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:34 pm
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:22 pm
Lets do this! Something with a thin blade though, Wharndelica would be my pick.
Nah let's keep it here in the USA. The Golden Crew has more experience with these kinds of steels.
That's an excellent point you make BBB, and honestly I prefer Golden models, I just wanted something thin. I need to move someplace I can use a belt grinder. It's a no go in my current place.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Rutger

Post by Rutger »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:43 am
I'm stuck with my work currently. I need to sell lower alloy steels (which I also LOVE btw) so I can purchase belts to continue my research. These high Vanadium steels need very sharp ceramic grains to be cut. Otherwise it just creates heat from friction/rubbing.

These Russians don't use belts to grind these high wear resistant steels from what i've seen. Like Andrey Biryukov knives. He works with stuff like CPM 15v. It's mostly grind wheels in his shop. Same with many Japanese makers. I guess belts are nice for lower alloy steel, but not so much when you move up the ladder.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Rutger wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:04 am
It's mostly grind wheels in his shop. Same with many Japanese makers. I guess belts are nice for lower alloy steel, but not so much when you move up the ladder.
If belts get expensive, I can't imagine how much grind wheels cost - https://www.instagram.com/p/Bp3eERBFgfc/
bluntcut

Post by bluntcut »

Belt grinder grinding wheel with ceramic belt works very well for hardened 15v,s125v,rex121... I am curious on effectiveness of grind wheels grit type,hardness and size against high % volume of vanadium carbide steels.

Here is my go-to paring knife for the last 2 months:

Previous favorites parers: niolox 65rc, s30v 65rc, s90v 65rc, cruforgeV 65rc, w2 67rc...
Rutger wrote:
Deadboxhero wrote:

These Russians don't use belts to grind these high wear resistant steels from what i've seen. Like Andrey Biryukov knives. He works with stuff like CPM 15v. It's mostly grind wheels in his shop. Same with many Japanese makers. I guess belts are nice for lower alloy steel, but not so much when you move up the ladder.
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Nah, the belts are superior for this application.
Just need more of them and a better grinder.

Rutger wrote:
Deadboxhero wrote:

Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Glad to see ya posting here again Luong.

What wood is on that beauty?

bluntcut wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:27 am
Belt grinder grinding wheel with ceramic belt works very well for hardened 15v,s125v,rex121... I am curious on effectiveness of grind wheels grit type,hardness and size against high % volume of vanadium carbide steels.

Here is my go-to paring knife for the last 2 months:

Previous favorites parers: niolox 65rc, s30v 65rc, s90v 65rc, cruforgeV 65rc, w2 67rc...
Rutger wrote:
Deadboxhero wrote:

Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
bluntcut

Post by bluntcut »

Cordia Burl. I bought a large 2" thick chunk from Gilmerwood back in 2014.

btw - my 15v paring is 1 of 2 blades blank from the 15v bar you split/sold to me.

Edit: once my shop is running, likely to buy more thin 15v from nsm. want to try new ht ideas on 15v,rex121 and low possibility of s125v.
Deadboxhero wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:56 am

[...
Last edited by bluntcut on Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

bluntcut wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:04 pm

btw - my 15v paring is 1 of 2 blades blank from the 15v bar you split/sold to me.
Deadboxhero wrote:

[...
I thought it was burl.

We gets lots of burl in Australia from our gum trees, it looks superb on handles.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Nice, when you get more 15v put me on the list for a knife with fancy wood handles. :D
I know you have a killer wood collection :D
bluntcut wrote:

Edit: once my shop is running, likely to buy more thin 15v from nsm. want to try new ht ideas on 15v,rex121 and low possibility of s125v.
Deadboxhero wrote:

[...
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
bluntcut

Post by bluntcut »

Agreed. I've a good stash of Austrialian coolibah, mallee, myrtle and various other gum. Bad thing - I allergic to their dust, especially fine dust after 320 grit sanding. Yeah, beauty itch :)
500Nitro wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:11 pm
bluntcut wrote:

Deadboxhero wrote:

[...
I thought it was burl.

We gets lots of burl in Australia from our gum trees, it looks superb on handles.
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

bluntcut wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:19 pm
Agreed. I've a good stash of Austrialian coolibah, mallee, myrtle and various other gum. Bad thing - I allergic to their dust, especially fine dust after 320 grit sanding. Yeah, beauty itch :)
500Nitro wrote:
bluntcut wrote:

Deadboxhero wrote:

[...
I thought it was burl.

Great to see you here again, Luong.
bluntcut

Post by bluntcut »

Thanks and blames you for got me into 15v. Hopefully your 70rc 15V fixed blade is still serviceable. Is your vanadis 10 knife going strong too?
Bodog wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:52 pm
bluntcut wrote:
500Nitro wrote:
bluntcut wrote:

I thought it was burl.

Bodog

Post by Bodog »

bluntcut wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:54 pm
Thanks and blames you for got me into 15v. Hopefully your 70rc 15V fixed blade is still serviceable. Is your vanadis 10 knife going strong too?
Bodog wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:52 pm
bluntcut wrote:
500Nitro wrote:

I thought it was burl.

Yes, they're my go to all purpose knives around the house. How are you still liking 15V? The way it performed after your re-heat treatment was really, really good. My go to kitchen knife is still that razor thin paring knife in 10V. Don't remember how hard it was, 68 RC iirc. Still don't care for the rex 121 blade i have. Just sits unused in the drawer. I think it's the design more than the steel but still, I like 15V better.

Since they stopped making vanadis 10 and started making vanadis 8 because they wanted a bit more toughness, I'd think that would be an excellent cutlery steel.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

No S125v? Have ya tried some Joe? Who made it?
I had an Italian made folder imported by Hardheart probably 6 or 8 years ago and a small knife that is also now gone that I made with a guy I knew heat treating it with a time/temp recommendation from Phil W. I think it was around rc 64.5 ish. ? Probably 8 years ago.

Joe