Your Delica 5

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
NickShabazz

Re: Your Delica 5

Post by NickShabazz »

Wire clip, jimped finger choil, S35VN or LC200N, metal pin in the FRN that holds the backspacer's lower tongue in position (for ease of disassembly), made in the USA or Taichung (for value and f&f).
Mourning the Slysz Bowie and loving the rest of Spyderco's gems. Check out my reviews at https://www.youtube.com/c/nickshabazz!
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Eli Chaps wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:38 pm
What would your next generation Delica look like?

For me it would:

1. Have a wire clip - Not only do I prefer the wire clip for scratch avoidance and such but the end of the current clip creates a bit of a hot spot for me. I don't care about deep carry.

2. No finger bumps in the handle. Maybe make it a touch taller, or not, but lose the finger bumps/grooves.

3. Extend the back of the handle maybe .25"

I reckon the pending Kapara is close in general design concept to what I'm thinking if that helps with visuals.

We're not talking about designing a new knife here, just evolving what is already there.

What say you all?

I'd buy a larger Worker with a Delica blade and wire clip in FRN :D
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Kyler durden 321

Post by Kyler durden 321 »

Id perfer the original pointy tip saber grind in aus-6 (its longer) , a bevel on the thumb hole like original, original handle scales with no steel liner for smooth operation and no lock flexing that occurs when cutting with the gen 4 , finger grooves like the original are fine for me i have small hands , and if the pocket clip has to be steel id perfer non painted . so basicly i perfer the gen 1's !!!
James Y

Post by James Y »

I really wouldn't change much, except maybe also have a LC200N option as well. And maybe make the pocket clip more like the one on the Native 5, meaning with a heftier, less 'soft-feeling' steel.

As far as pocket clips, I may be in the minority here, but I absolutely *hate* wire clips, so that would be a deal-breaker for me.

Jim
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

There is no need for a D5.Every single thing anyone wishes in a D5 can already be found in another Spyderco.The opposite is also true.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

spyderwolf wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:37 pm
There is no need for a D5.Every single thing anyone wishes in a D5 can already be found in another Spyderco.The opposite is also true.
That's what I've been seeing. Sounds like some of y'all need to buy a Sage 4 or Sage 5
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
kernelpanic

Post by kernelpanic »

Deep pocket carry wire clip (but not shiny something dull coloured so it doesn’t stand out).
Matt textured FRN similar to what Fallkniven use on their folders with synthetic handles. Offers good grip and less places for crud to build up.
Laminated sgps steel ( I love this steel) and prefer it to zip as I find it less chippy

But if the Delica stays as it is I would still be happy :)
Kev
Texaspoff

Post by Texaspoff »

First and foremost, a deep pocket clip, wire or some other type, and dark colored. I am tied of having to modify Benchmade deep carry clips for my Spydies. I prefer steel over the titanium aftermarket ones, and Benchmade makes some of the best.

Second, I would update the steel, VG is good enough, but a nice newer steel would be better.

Redesign the FRN scales. As others have said, the current model like to hold onto pocket junk, and can be difficult to clean. Keep the FRN, just come up with a new texture for it. I would also offer more G-10 versions. Some folks just won't buy FRN and the G10's would bring on new buyers.

I would also lengthen the blade just a hair. The Endura is just a tad to long, and sometimes I wish the Delica had just a bit more blade. My reason is I use Combo edge versions, and Spyderco like to use almost half the blade for their serrations. Honestly if they would just shorten the amount of blade used, that would be fine. I have used them on occasion during my career, but If I needed to use them all the time, I would have a full serrated blade.

Now the big thing, I know the back lock is a solid system, but if a compression lock could be fitted to a Delica, that would be awesome, just saying.

Anyway, yes I know there are other spydercos that have some of the features, I described, but if I could get all those in one knife, why would need the others. I could just have a delica for each day of the week.... :)

TXPO
DBCOOPER

Post by DBCOOPER »

I'd say just follow the police 4,
Bigger hole, better contoured lines, finger choil etc etc
I came here to cut sh#$ with my knives and chew bubblegum, and I'm all out of bubblegum
Wdr65

Post by Wdr65 »

While I don't carry or use a Delica much anymore there's very little I would change on a newer version. I was a big Delica 3 fan and initially I missed that pointy tip and weight without liners. After the FFG Delica 4's came out I've changed my tune.

The only thing I might change would be the clip to something that carries deeper. Even then I'm not real certain that it needs to be changed.

My only wish and mainly because it would hopefully carry over to the Endura as well (which I use a lot more) is that we see one in S90v or a similar steel. The S30V sprints last year perked me up and while I love ZDP and VG-10, I love how easy I can sharpen S90v and it holds an edge for a long time with the material I cut at work.
Smaug

Post by Smaug »

Vivi wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:49 pm
I'd like to see the tip not be rounded, and new ergos. If the finger grooves were shaped different, I could fit my hand on the knife. As it is, I can't. The first groove isn't big enough for both my index and middle finger, and the pinky groove is excessively large.

With the Delica 3 and 4, and Endura 3 and 4, the first groove is not big enough for two of my fingers. I get the impression that's what it was designed for. I've stopped buying knives from Spyderco with handle ergonomics designed to have two fingers placed in one large finger groove like that because it's never big enough.
Ditto, and I don't even have big hands. The grooves aren't aggressive enough to make it uncomfortable, but they're not quite right either. They feel like a bit of an afterthought that has escaped CQI.

Native fits much better in this size range, is US-made, and is only $20 more than the Delica.

Delica is a classic, but it needs a redesign in the grip shape area, IMO.
-Jeremy
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

My Delica 5:

The only thing I´d wish for is an increase in cutting edge. When closed, the blade of the Delica 4 does not extend all the way to the rear end of the handle, so it could be lengthend with no problem. I am not fully aware of American knife laws (since I am Europrean), but I get that there are restrictions of blade lenght in certain states or cities. So I guess Spyderco wants to keep the blade length of the Delica short enough that the knife (as it is one of their top sellers I guess) can be sold in most places,and that is totally understandable.
Still, for me personally the cutting edge often times is just a tad to short; I´d even like the Ricasso to be reduced or removed, so that an even longer edge would be accomnodated by the current Delica 4 handle.

Speaking of the handle: My hands are between large and x-large, and contrary to some posters here I really like the Ergos and the finger bumps of the Delica 4

Also I am totally ok with the backlock, actually it is even my favorite lock..

And lastly: I would NOT like to see another Spyderco featuring a finger choil (partly in the blade) that moves the hand further away from the edge when you DON`T choke up. One of the great thing in the Delica for me is,that in a "regular" (not choked up) grip you are relatively close to the edge (and besides choking up on that Delica Ricasso works just fine for me when I feel the need to do so)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
DOUBLE D

Post by DOUBLE D »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:34 pm
My Delica 5:

The only thing I´d wish for is an increase in cutting edge. When closed, the blade of the Delica 4 does not extend all the way to the rear end of the handle, so it could be lengthend with no problem. I am not fully aware of American knife laws (since I am Europrean), but I get that there are restrictions of blade lenght in certain states or cities. So I guess Spyderco wants to keep the blade length of the Delica short enough that the knife (as it is one of their top sellers I guess) can be sold in most places,and that is totally understandable.
Still, for me personally the cutting edge often times is just a tad to short; I´d even like the Ricasso to be reduced or removed, so that an even longer edge would be accomnodated by the current Delica 4 handle.

Speaking of the handle: My hands are between large and x-large, and contrary to some posters here I really like the Ergos and the finger bumps of the Delica 4

And lastly: I would NOT like to see another Spyderco featuring a finger choil (partly in the blade) that moves the hand further away from the edge when you DON`T choke up. One of the great thing in the Delica for me is,that in a "regular" (not choked up) grip you are relatively close to the edge (and besides choking up on that Delica Ricasso works just fine for me when I feel the need to do so)

Ditto to all of that.

1. Maximize the cutting edge to handle ratio.

2. Deep carry clip of any kind.

Dave D
Ngati Pom

Post by Ngati Pom »

Posted this in the "What would you like to see from Spyderco" thread before I saw this one :rolleyes:

In the absence of a choiled Delica ;) applying the 'no choil' feature from the Polestar to the Delica, where the cutting edge comes right back to the scales, may appeal to choilers and non choilers alike. :)
'The future is already here;it's just not evenly distributed'
William Gibson
Polecat

Post by Polecat »

Janich like Wharcliff his older endura! Black blade, ODG or Digital urban camo, wire clip, bit bigger spydie hole
KapitanPlaneta

Post by KapitanPlaneta »

My perfect Delica5 would have thicker blade, 3mm. Without paint on clip. Maybe do Delica 4+ with 3mm blade : ]
:spyder: UKPK Black G10, Urban British Blades & Foliage G10, Ti Pingo [Woro Knives], Delica Wharncliffe [micarta scales], Rhino
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:34 pm
My Delica 5:

I second that.We dont need the ricasso.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

That would be a Delica 4 with a wire clip - and it's a wrap :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

I don't know if I want to see a Delica 5 just yet. I personally think the Delica 4 is pretty great as is. That said, in 2020 I believe the Delica will be 30 years old. A special commemorative edition could be fun.
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

Sal's already said there's no plans to do it, but the only change I'd make is Salt 2 style handles for the whole line.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN