Police4 pics and impressions ( pics restored )

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tps3443

Re: Police4 pics and impressions ( pics restored )

Post by tps3443 »

This thread was incredible. A great comparison!

You own exactly the same knives as me, even in the same steel. So this was a great comparison for me.

The Police 4 is so cool. I think I’m ready for one. After reading this thread, and @VIVI thread as well, and a few other members too.

So, I started out with a linerlock Spyderco, then moved to the PM2 with a Compression lock. I liked it so much, it actually took nearly a week for me to really love my Military Blurple that uses a liner lock. So, The Military is now my favorite; it’s liner lock is just great. But, how is the lock back on a Police 4?

I had no idea the Police 4 and Military are nearly the same size.
“My daily razor blade”
Microtech Stitch CTS-204P stonewashed blade
Microtech Dirac Delta CTS-204P Black DLC
^Wicked Edge guided system^
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Police 4 cuts and carries better. Personally, the ergonomics are better too. I can flick my police open, Idk if others can. I prefer a backlock to a liner lock.
Military is pointier and maybe lightee (not sure). Military is more fidgetable.
Since getting the police, the military is neglected.
Last edited by knivesandbooks on Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
vivi

Post by vivi »

tps3443 wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:49 pm
This thread was incredible. A great comparison!

You own exactly the same knives as me, even in the same steel. So this was a great comparison for me.

The Police 4 is so cool. I think I’m ready for one. After reading this thread, and @VIVI thread as well, and a few other members too.

So, I started out with a linerlock Spyderco, then moved to the PM2 with a Compression lock. I liked it so much, it actually took nearly a week for me to really love my Military Blurple that uses a liner lock. So, The Military is now my favorite; it’s liner lock is just great. But, how is the lock back on a Police 4?

I had no idea the Police 4 and Military are nearly the same size.
I prefer the Police to the Military.

I carried a Military for years. Back when the Police 3 was current, there was about half an ounce difference between the two, and I value light weight a great deal.

The Police 4 weighs the same as the Military, so that advantage is history now.

The other thing that made me move on from the Military is what you're asking about - the lock.

Backlocks have what we call a self close. Meaning when the blade is about 75% of the way to the fully closed position, it snaps shut. Just like a Swiss Army Knife or the old school slipjoints our fathers and grandfathers used.

Here is a video demonstrating the self-close on the Police 4

I've had detent based locks (Liner locks, frame locks, compression locks) come open in my pocket. They do not have a self close. Once the blade opens even a slight amount, nothing stops it from staying open.

So I consider the backlock superior from a perspective of safety. I'm an active person, and I want a knife that stays closed until I open it. I hike, jog up and down mountains, ride mountain bikes, do rock climbing, etc. I usually have a folder on me during those activities.

Others value different things, such as their knife opening with the least amount of force possible, the opposite of what I want. In which case, they might not like the backlock as much.

In addition to the lock, the Police has two clear advantage over the Military for me. Four way clip, which enables me to carry tip-up, which I prefer. The blade is also thinner, so the geometry is superior for my uses.

In my eyes, the Police 4 is the best folder Spyderco has made to date. I have tried over 250 different folding knives from them, so I do not say that lightly.

I have owned 8 different versions of the Military. It was my EDC and favorite folder for years. I've tried all the nicest sprint runs, I even had a carbon fiber sprint run Military modified to tip-up. In the end, I chose to get rid of them all, and stick with the Police as my EDC, and Pacific Salts when I want a rust proof knife.
:unicorn
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

The Police 4 is really a remarkable knife. I do like the Military, but the Police is a very different knife. Looking at it edge on, it looks like it is all metal construction with just a thin outer layer of G10 over the metal. And the feel in hand is different with more heft. It really is the flagship model of all the Spyercos made in Seki City, Japan. It is like they took special care with this model. Truly a well designed and well made knife. I am really enjoying it.

The option for tip up carry is a nice bonus.

Compared to the Military, which I consider the ultimate liner lock knife, Vivi has already given a great comparison of the two locks. The backlock is undeniably the stronger lock, though if you want a well done liner lock, the Military is it. What I like about the Military is that it is a big bigger and rougher in hand, which allows for handling with fewer fine motor skills. The Police is a more refined knife and feels smoother, sleeker, and heavier in hand. And even though it seems more "refined" I don't think there is much question that it is the stronger knife. Not that I expect that either will let anyone down.
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

I love this knife more day by day. My particular one seems to depress the lockbar a little deep out of the box, and the lockbar has a cosmetic quirk but it doesn't really matter yet. Totally considering another one or two when I can afford it.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Welp.... After looking at those pictures, now I think I want a K2 on top of wanting a police 4. Great.

:D
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

I want a k2 as well. Only thing that stopped me was being a lefty.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Regret not picking up a K2 when they were available. I was so close. Idk why I didn't. It was in my cart. But I lingered. I didn't buy it. I made a mistake.
It would have been the big brother to my Slysz Bowie.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

The K2 was a sweet knife but I just recently sold mine because it was ginormous compared to the P4, and I carry my P4 way more often.
Josh
JMSIII

Post by JMSIII »

I just held a Stainless Police last night for the first time. Big knife, but it felt good! Like the Military does. So now I'm thinking do I get one...
Mystery Flavor

Post by Mystery Flavor »

Just wanted to send a quick THANK YOU to bearfacedkiller for making this thread so long ago and all the photos and info he posted. This thread is what really got me interested in the P4 long before I bought one.

It's such a good design and I am eager to see what is released in the FRN handle variations. I hope there is at least one new version that can be available with a blacked out blade and hardware, either DLC or TiCN type coating. It would be really ideal for that kind of coating over K390 and I'm guessing others would get a blacked out version like this if it's made available.