How much are you willing to spend on a Chinese made knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

How much are you willing to spend on a knife produced in China?

I'm not willing to buy a Chinese made knife
22%
I'll spend up to $25
4%
I'll spend up to $50
9%
I'll spend up to $75
5%
I'll spend up to $100
5%
I'll spend up to $150
2%
I'll spend up to $200
1%
I have no hard limit for how much I'll spend on a knife made in China - my purchase is based on other factors like materials and design
52%

Total votes: 149

vivi

How much are you willing to spend on a Chinese made knife?

Post by vivi »

Related to the thread Sal posted asking questions related to tariffs & China, I had a poll in mind.

I am curious if you are willing to spend the same amount on a knife produced in China as you are from other countries? Or do you have a hard limit on how much you'll spend on a knife based on where it is produced?

I think most of us posting here are comfortable spending $150 on a USA made knife.

Would you spend $150 on a knife made in China? Pakistan? India? Mexico?

For clarity I am referring to mainland China and not Taiwan / the Republic of China.

Do you find country of origin has no bearing on how much you are willing to spend if you feel the design is what suits your needs, the materials are high level, and the quality can be ensured?

Lets try to keep the focus on knives, budget, etc., rather than steering into politics too much.

I will post my personal feelings in a follow up post.
:unicorn
abbazaba

Re: How much are you willing to spend on a Chinese made knife?

Post by abbazaba »

No hard limit here. Depends on a lot of things, but I've spent over $200 on a knife from China before and was quite happy with it.

Do I wish all of my knives said "Golden Colorado U.S.A. Earth"?

Yes.
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

As long as the company behind the product is reputable, such as Sal and Spyderco, I'm not going to complain about prices if the item is something I want and need. I'm trusting Sal and Spyderco to do the right things to ensure the quality and reliability of the products produced for the ELU.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

$0.00c :D
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I voted none.

If I needed to, I would, but to date I have always baulked and put the money towards something better at a later date, or a better one in used condition, and have never regretted it. The “cry once” principle, really.
tps3443

Post by tps3443 »

As of right now, I only own USA made Spyderco’s.

But,

I purchased a Spyderco Tenacious, and a Spyderco Resilience. They are $38, and $50 respectively at your local Walmart. If it were not for me buying these china made knives, I would’ve never spent the money on the (2) Spyderco’s I have now, or the hundreds of dollars on sharpening equipment. Point is, they introduced me in to the hobby.

So, I’d say $50 bucks is about all I’d spend on a China made Spyderco, or any other knife made in China.
“My daily razor blade”
Microtech Stitch CTS-204P stonewashed blade
Microtech Dirac Delta CTS-204P Black DLC
^Wicked Edge guided system^
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It all depends on the ending quality. If you had asked me 20 years ago if I'd buy a knife made in Taiwan I'd have laughed at you. Things change.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
rwasham

Post by rwasham »

I said $100. And it would have to be a decent steel to go with it at that price. For something 8Cr13MoV, it would be more like $50. I think china makes fine knives but the build quality and materials are going to dictate what I spend.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I’d spend up to $100 too, but depends on a lot and if it’s something I absolutely love. I don’t have any Chinese made knives as of now, but I will be picking up a Bow River.
Josh
cbrstar

Post by cbrstar »

I have 2 military's, a pm2, pm3, and a native 5. But i'm buying a Alycone this weekend and I'm quite excited about it.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

rwasham wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:39 pm
I think china makes fine knives ...
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I chose the last option. I don't have any hard or fast rules on where to buy knives from, but as a general rule do not trust Chinese steels or heat treatments. Although I own Chinese made knives(I am not looking through 85 knives, but I am sure that I do), I do NOT own any Chinese branded knives because they have been known to steal designs and I do not support that.

If it's a Spyderco knife, I rely on Spyderco to be my feet on the ground and watch the entire process from design, steel sourcing, heat treatment and manufacturing. I'd prefer the steel to come from the USA or EU as I do not buy alphabet soup steels. I also prefer USA made goods. Spyderco I trust completely, they are one of the best knife manufacturers globally. China I do not trust whatsoever.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
anycal

Post by anycal »

i chose the last option. I don't necessarily have anything against certain things being made in China. Let's face it, some things are just not made anywhere else.

That said. I looked at the entire Chinese made Spyderco lineup on BHQ site. Other than the Tenacious, there really isn't anything there for me, regardless of materials and quality. Granted this is on looks alone.
Peter
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

I have, in the past, purchased some very well made A.G. Russell slipjoints that were made in China. However, as a general rule, I do not purchase knives made in China.
tps3443

Post by tps3443 »

Is the Japan made seki city Spyderco’s best quality knives? Like the Police 4?
“My daily razor blade”
Microtech Stitch CTS-204P stonewashed blade
Microtech Dirac Delta CTS-204P Black DLC
^Wicked Edge guided system^
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

I went with the last option.

I look at more than place of origin on the knives I buy. I don't own any Chinese made Spyderco knives as none have interested me. I do own a Chinese made Kershaw/Emerson & 2 Steel Will knives that cost around the $30 range. Not real impressed with the Kershaw/Emerson, mostly as I don't like the 8Cr steel. The 2 Steel Will knives I'm actually impressed with.
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

I haven't knowingly purchased many Chinese made knives. In years past they were in general poorer quality. I prefer to buy American or other vs Chinese but there have been exceptions. I had read good reviews on the 2017 Real Steel Ti Megalodon and purchased one from BHQ for $150 when they had a sale. The knife was so good I searched around and found another new one at a lower clearance price. Seller didn't know just how exceptional the knife was. I also chose the last option. Don't plan to buy many knives from China but when the right knife comes along at the right price I may make an exception. That will include Bow River's. :spyder:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

tps3443 wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:14 pm
Is the Japan made seki city Spyderco’s best quality knives? Like the Police 4?

I'm fond of the Golden stuff but I would rank Taichung above Japan and the others (as far as Spyderco are concerned). The Taichung factory have made some knives that rival customs in fit and finish.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
RobDigi

Post by RobDigi »

The USA made CRK Mnandi is 1.5oz of titanium wood and steel...1.5oz.
$400-$650 price range
No hard limit lol
materials and design lol
Whoever voted on that you must be crazy!!
or sharp as a spoon.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

I also chose the last option. It used to be for me that when the price started pushing $100 I had a hard time even considering spending that much on a knife made anywhere outside the USA. Then I bought an Italian made Viper that was over $100. Then I bought four Taichung made Spyderco frame locks, and I don't have to tell this group what those go for. I came close to buying a designer collab made by Kizer a few weeks ago when my local seller had a good price.

Despite my preference for US made, especially, on nicer knives, I've realized that Spyderco and couple other US based companies can't mass produce every design from every deserving knife maker. If I like the design, the materials are good, and it's made by a reputable manufacturer, then I'll probably buy it.