Thank you, Casey Lynch

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
knivesandbooks

Thank you, Casey Lynch

Post by knivesandbooks »

So, I finally bought an Advocate. I had been drooling over this knife for so long and was overjoyed to finally get it. The one complaint I had was that it was a bit plain. So, I decided to spice it up with a fancy clip. I bought a really cool timascus clip made by Casey Lynch. Now, I've purchased many a deep carry clip and never had any trouble putting them on. But when I went to put this one on, before I had even securely tightened the screws, two of the screw heads ripped out. I managed to get one broken screw out but the other I could not for the life of me get out. I also managed to scratch up the handle.

Now, I'm certain this is my fault, surely I must have not had it aligned correctly or something. Regardless, I sent am email to Mr. Lynch to make sure the clipped looked okay. He said yes, but he wanted to help me. Not only did he get the broken screw out, get the clip on, he also took the time to refinish the handle to get the scratches out. It still has the same great texture but now has a really nice subdued matte finish.

I can't begin to say how grateful I am. This is the best customer service I've experienced.

Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
TkoK83Spy

Re: Thank you, Casey Lynch

Post by TkoK83Spy »

That looks amazing! Such a unique clip. Casey really is a class act. He posted a thread on here back in October. He addressed some problems people were having with some of the finishes on their clips, provided his personal email and for anyone to send theirs back to him. Stated he wasn't on the forum often but wanted to be accessible for everyone.

I remembered that thread and got in touch with him a few weeks ago so I could get the black Para 3 specific clip from him, because it's sold out at all the retailers. I wanted it for the CS exclusive. Everything went smoothly and the box showed up at my house a few days later.

He bubble lettered the first letter of my first and last name on the box, in Orange and Black...because he must have actually paid attention to my email as I specified what I wanted the clip for. Included a sticker and a hand written thank you on his business card. Little things like that go a long ways. I know for me, I'll always buy any aftermarket clip from him! I've been impressed with previous purchases of his clips through major distributors, but this specific experience has me sold!
Last edited by TkoK83Spy on Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

knivesandbooks wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:22 pm
So, I finally bought an Advocate. I had been drooling over this knife for so long and was overjoyed to finally get it. The one complaint I had was that it was a bit plain. So, I decided to spice it up with a fancy clip. I bought a really cool timascus clip made by Casey Lynch. Now, I've purchased many a deep carry clip and never had any trouble putting them on. But when I went to put this one on, before I had even securely tightened the screws, two of the screw heads ripped out. I managed to get one broken screw out but the other I could not for the life of me get out. I also managed to scratch up the handle.

Now, I'm certain this is my fault, surely I must have not had it aligned correctly or something. Regardless, I sent am email to Mr. Lynch to make sure the clipped looked okay. He said yes, but he wanted to help me. Not only did he get the broken screw out, get the clip on, he also took the time to refinish the handle to get the scratches out. It still has the same great texture but now has a really nice subdued matte finish.

I can't begin to say how grateful I am. This is the best customer service I've experienced.

Wow! Looks fantastic ....and congratulations on the Advocate ! Mine should be here by tomorrow and I might have to get one of those clips! Thanks for the heads up on the customer service of Mr. Lynch!

James
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I really like the subdued look of your Advocate. Nice to hear Casey Lynch went above and beyond to help you out. All my dealings with him have been very positive as well.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

That’s a great story, thanks for sharing. :) Many of you guys have heard me ramble on about Casey and the ultra high quality of his service, quality and workmanship here on the forum and IG (not to mention him being an awesome guy in person), to me his products are synonymous and indivisible from the very characteristics Spyderco so well emulates themselves. They’re a great match! :D
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
mb1

Post by mb1 »

That is great.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Great story, Casey is an absolute stand up guy. Enjoy your new Advocate! I enjoy the **** out of mine!
Josh
Termite Toothpick

Post by Termite Toothpick »

Nice looking knife! Casey’s clips are awesome and his costumer service is outstanding!
Dragonfly G-10, Blurple PM2, Para3, Jani-Song, Dragonfly2 ZDP-189, Lil' Native, Chaparral LW, Delica WC HAP40, Para3 M4, HH UKPK S30V, Para3 LW, Para3 LW M390, Meerkat V-TOKU2, M4 Sage 5 LW, Urban Ivory Damasteel, Leaf Storm

:bug-white-red -Derek
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

That is SUCH a beautiful knife!!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm trying to get him interested in making clips for flashlights.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
cwp

Post by cwp »

If the Advocate came with that finish from the factory, I'd probably have bought one by now. :)
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Finally got around to taking a pic of what I mentioned.
Nothing crazy, but shows he truly cares about his customers!.
x6A8DGGh.jpg

-Rick
freebird610

Post by freebird610 »

Is he still selling clips?
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Yes he is. Read the thread bud!

-Rick
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

knivesandbooks wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:22 pm
...he also took the time to refinish the handle to get the scratches out. It still has the same great texture but now has a really nice subdued matte finish.
Love that matte finished handle! What did Mr Lynch do to achieve that finish?