Spyderco Factory resharpening

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tps3443

Spyderco Factory resharpening

Post by tps3443 »

I may sell my PM2 S110V on eBay. I’m in no rush so I’d like to have it factory sharpened by spyderco before I list it to achieve the most out of a used knife.

How do I go about sending it to them?

How long did it take?
“My daily razor blade”
Microtech Stitch CTS-204P stonewashed blade
Microtech Dirac Delta CTS-204P Black DLC
^Wicked Edge guided system^
vivi

Re: Spyderco Factory resharpening

Post by vivi »

I think the cost of shipping the knife back and forth (Roughly $12) would negate any extra money you'd get from the sale.

I believe it takes a couple of weeks, but I've never used this service myself.

Regardless, here is the info you seek:

✓ If your knife requires other services or you have any questions concerning the repair process, please contact us directly:
Toll free: 800-525-7770 X255
Phone: 303-279-8383 X255
E-mail: customerservice@spyderco.com

(Include $5 for return shipping as well)

Military ruin your love of the Para 2?

I used to love the Para 2 but decided bigger knives are more my style.
:unicorn
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I thought you were getting to be a pretty accomplished sharpener in your own right?
With fancy state of the art gear!

List it as lightly used and lovingly sharpened on my wicked edge -- or some such.
Honesty and full disclosure does the trick on Ebay.
CXXX

Post by CXXX »

When I was at SFO for a visit they offered to sharpen my EDC...they proceeded to sharpen it by hand on a Sharpmaker right in the showroom. So you better check how they will "factory sharpen" your knife. It may not be like the manufacturing sharpening for new production knives. In videos I have seen of production the blades are sharpened before assembly; either by a robot or belt sharpened by hand.
Last edited by CXXX on Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joey

Post by Joey »

That’s actually pretty frustrating to hear. I’d be upset too if they did that to me without offering the option.

Can anyone send some pictures of a new edge put on their knife by Spyderco? I’ve always been curious to see one.
tps3443

Post by tps3443 »

Vivi wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:35 pm
I think the cost of shipping the knife back and forth (Roughly $12) would negate any extra money you'd get from the sale.

I believe it takes a couple of weeks, but I've never used this service myself.

Regardless, here is the info you seek:

✓ If your knife requires other services or you have any questions concerning the repair process, please contact us directly:
Toll free: 800-525-7770 X255
Phone: 303-279-8383 X255
E-mail: customerservice@spyderco.com

(Include $5 for return shipping as well)

Military ruin your love of the Para 2?

I used to love the Para 2 but decided bigger knives are more my style.
Yea the love for my PM2 has kinda faded. Which is hard to believe, because the Compression lock is great. The Military is just much better. Slicing, cutting, all around.
“My daily razor blade”
tps3443

Post by tps3443 »

CXXX wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:57 am
When I was at SFO for a visit the offered to sharpen my EDC...they proceeded to sharpen it by hand on a Sharpmaker right in the showroom. So you better check how they will "factory sharpen" your knife. It may not be like the manufacturing sharpening for new production knives. In videos I have seen of production the blades are sharpened before assembly; either by a robot or belt sharpened by hand.
I highly doubt Spyderco would be reprofiling and sharpening S110V back to factory on a sharpmaker haha. It is done by machine. I think they just may have offered you a touch up.

Besides, a Sharpmaker cannot recreate those markings on the edge.
“My daily razor blade”
tps3443

Post by tps3443 »

Joey wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:40 am
That’s actually pretty frustrating to hear. I’d be upset too if they did that to me without offering the option.

Can anyone send some pictures of a new edge put on their knife by Spyderco? I’ve always been curious to see one.
I saw one on ebay. The knife sold for like $152 used as a “Factory resharpen” It looked Factory new. I can get my edges exactly like it, but there are these tooling marks left behind from the robotic machine they look quite cool!
“My daily razor blade”
tps3443

Post by tps3443 »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:51 pm
I thought you were getting to be a pretty accomplished sharpener in your own right?
With fancy state of the art gear!

List it as lightly used and lovingly sharpened on my wicked edge -- or some such.
Honesty and full disclosure does the trick on Ebay.
Yea I think that’s probably what I’ll end up doing.
“My daily razor blade”
freebird610

Post by freebird610 »

I've never heard anything good about spyderco resharpening. I have heard they will remove quite a bit of blade. If I were you I would just sell as is or sharpen yourself.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

tps3443 wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:46 am
Joey wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:40 am

I saw one on ebay. The knife sold for like $152 used as a “Factory resharpen” It looked Factory new. I can get my edges exactly like it, but there are these tooling marks left behind from the robotic machine they look quite cool!

So are you trying to sell the knife as new or "newer" than it is? I don't understand the point of this if not for that reason. If you're able to put a good even bevel on it then just do that and be honest about what the knife is. In the end whoever buys it will know what they're getting and it'll have more life left in it than if a whole new bevel were ground in for no good reason. There's no getting around the fact that it's a user now.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Joey

Post by Joey »

tps3443 wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:46 am
I’d be upset about tooling marks, and I’d also be upset if I paid anywhere near $150 for a used blurple PM2. I think whoever bought that knife paid way too much, since a new one can be found for $130-$140 with a tiny bit of patience. I’d suggest you sharpen the PM2 yourself (I agree with TucsonTom) because you seem to be able to make a nice edge with what you’ve learned so far, and the tools you have. Put it up for $130 or so and make someone happy. You seemed to have gotten plenty of use out of it so far, so what’s $20 to you?
Joey

Post by Joey »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:41 pm
So are you trying to sell the knife as new or "newer" than it is? I don't understand the point of this if not for that reason. There's no getting around the fact that it's a user now.
^^^ very good points!
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

As a buyer of used knives, I'd sell it as is or with a touch up.

as long as the blade isn't butchered/over worn it seems buyers don't mind a good user that's been looked after.

Just take good photos so people can see, unlike one seller where they were blurred because (I think) he was trying to hide a worn rusty knife.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
tps3443

Post by tps3443 »

I just touched it up. Here’s a few shots. I’m not trying to make anything new guys. I just thought having a knife “Factory sharpened” was the right thing to do. I saw a few on eBay like that. But, I’ll sell it like this with my own edge on there no problems haha

The knife has seen good usage. Fortunately, it functions like new. Center blade, absolutely no blade play and it is super smooth.

13.95 degrees, W/ 20.00 degree micro bevel. Stropped at 12.95, and 19.00. Very sharp.

I think I might sell it on a forum. We shall see.

How’s it look? Honest enough? Haha.

“My daily razor blade”
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

TPS

"How’s it look? Honest enough? Haha."

Yep, as a buyer of used knives, with those photos looks very good / fine to me.

Better than this photo below of someone trying to flog a rusty, worn knife lol. I asked for more/better photos, they weren't nearly as good as yours! (He also said he might send it back to the factory)
Attachments
IMG_5794.JPG
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
tps3443

Post by tps3443 »

500Nitro wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:42 pm
TPS

"How’s it look? Honest enough? Haha."

Yep, as a buyer of used knives, with those photos looks very good / fine to me.

Better than this photo below of someone trying to flog a rusty, worn knife lol. I asked for more/better photos, they weren't nearly as good as yours! (He also said he might send it back to the factory)
What in the **** is that? HAha. Is that a stretch? I can’t even tell. Beautiful photograph.
“My daily razor blade”
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Looks like a Catcherman?
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

A Spyderco catcherman Serrated!

Well worn and rusted. I'll try to post original full photo and the replacement photo.

Correct Spydergirl88
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Maybe I'm full of myself but if I'm selling a used knife that I've sharpened and put a bevel on myself, I consider that a selling point over the factory edge. I don't mean to sound like I'm calling you out or anything, I just honestly can't see any positive selling point of putting a "factory" bevel on a used knife unless it were to use that as a selling point so you could say "factory bevel/sharpened/etc" as a way of suggesting the knife is newer than it is. Something like that is really more valuable to collectors anyway, so if I were selling a used knife I would consider my own reporfile/sharpening job as a positive selling point over a factory bevel, as I've already done the work of sharpening past any burned steel from the machine sharpening and edge retention will likely be better as a result. Depending on the knife and bevel I would even consider applying a bevel angle of the buyer's choice and using that as a selling point.

Anyway, I hope I didn't come off as a prick, the whole idea just sounded fishy. If that wasn't your goal then I'm glad to be wrong.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David