Cost of ZDP-189?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jdw

Cost of ZDP-189?

Post by jdw »

I haven't logged on to the board in a while but I seem to remember reading something Sal wrote about the increase in the cost of ZDP-189 making it prohibitively expensive to use in future regular production runs. I searched through a graveyard of dead threads but I can't find the info. After using my ZDP Endura this season I certainly hope that isn't so. Can anyone out there verify this for me? I am not trying to start a rumor, I am just wondering. Thanks folks.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
GarageBoy

Re: Cost of ZDP-189?

Post by GarageBoy »

I hope not. It's not the new hotness anymore, but love the edges it takes.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Jdw,

A couple of years ago, Hitachi said they were going to raise the price of ZDP. Our prices from the maker were increased substantially. We deciced to continue make ZDP knives as a small but passionate number of knife afi's really appreciate our using the steel. We will be increasing prices incrementally until we reach a margin we can live with.

sal
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Thank you so much Sal for making sure we can still get our hands on such a great steel in a great folder for a great price.

It doesn't go unnoticed. :D
sal wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:53 pm
Hi Jdw,

A couple of years ago, Hitachi said they were going to raise the price of ZDP. Our prices from the maker were increased substantially. We deciced to continue make ZDP knives as a small but passionate number of knife afi's really appreciate our using the steel. We will be increasing prices incrementally until we reach a margin we can live with.

sal
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

sal wrote:
Hi Jdw,

sal
sal, if I may ask, does this price increase only apply to knives with ZDP blades, as the original poster asked, or, will this apply to all Spyderco knives made with steel from Japan?
sal

Post by sal »

Hi SEF,

Japanese costs are always going up, as are other makers worldwide. ZDP went up more than most. Also, even Spyderco costs go up. We get price increases from suppliers of everything from steel to screws. We extend our best effort to be fair to all.

sal
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I'll pay premium prices for ZDP 189. Spyderco is offering it at value prices with the frn models but it is definitely a premium steel.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

A Shaman in ZDP 189 would be fantastic!
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Bruce Mack

Post by Bruce Mack »

Thanks for providing it, Sal. I have had my Endura 4 ZDP-189 a couple of weeks. The handle and blade fit my tasks. With a primary bevel of ~13-14° and a micro-bevel of 15°, It is as sharp as any blade I have used and has responded to smoothing with the ultra fine rods and chromium on a strop. I know it has more than that and will acquire 1/2 micron diamond paste to be used on a hardboard strop. ZDP is fun if you accept and enjoy its recalcitrance as well as its excellence.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

sal wrote:
Hi Jdw,

sal
I'm sure glad to hear that Mr. Glesser because I've been kind of hoping that eventually someday you all will make a fixed blade model with ZDP-189. If it wasn't for the corrosion problem I've personally experienced with ZDP I would actually like to see it used in a culinary blade too.

ZDP-189 is truly a different animal but in some models like the old Burgundy Caly Jr it really stands out IMO.
justjohn

Post by justjohn »

Mr. Glesser, thank you for your input regarding Spyderco's business philosophy of being up front with the customers regarding production and cost. Since the inception of your company it has been an exceptional example of how to manage production while at the same time keeping consumer costs at a practical level. I have said it before, Spyderco will be the ONLY knife I will ever purchase. :D
- John

:bug-red "Spyderco"...Vēnērunt, vīdērunt, vīcērunt :bug-red
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Also, considering the prices of other zdp knives - it's a bargain
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

Reading this thread I suspect that my wish for a ZDP189 Centofante 3 is not going to be granted. However the thread will make me appreciate my ZDP189 Caly 3s even more.