What percent of your knife collection consists of users?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

0-10%
10%
11-20%
6%
21-30%
9%
31-40%
2%
41-50%
1%
51-60%
3%
61-70%
5%
71-80%
6%
81-90%
5%
91-100%
53%

Total votes: 120

vivi

Post by vivi »

As the title states, what percentage of your knife collection are users?

I answered 91-100%. The only ones I own that are not users are back-ups of discontinued / favorite knives, like my extra Police 3 and Leatherman Micra.
:unicorn
murphjd25

Re: What percent of your knife collection consists of users?

Post by murphjd25 »

91-100. I just recently got rid of my last two non-users. Can’t afford to have money tied up in things I don’t use.
Josh
restless ghost

Post by restless ghost »

one hunnit
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Anything I don't like I sell, everything else I use. I don't have any back-ups or safe queens. I have owned well over 100 spyderco knives and I find less is more these days. Currently I own 15 spydies. My spyderco kitchen knives get used everyday. My Lil Native is my most carried but I do try to switch it up with my other spydies like the Mantra 3 or Mcbee. My Junction is my dedicated cardboard breakdown knife bc it's fun.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Of all the knives Inown, 71-80% only because I purchased some nice custom knives from a gun dealer years ago and only taken a few out to use. (None are totally perfect like you see being sold on Facebook).

But every other knife own is a user from little Victorinox keychain knife, all my Spydies will get used.

I'm also like OP, I'll buy a spare or two of something if I know it's going to be hard to get and put it away.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
anycal

Post by anycal »

All are users. Most have been apart, and all had the edge at least touched up. None are BNIB.

All are users, but not all see regular use.
Peter
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I consider all mine to be users but some definitely get used more than others. As much as I like my 40th Anniversary Native it's not what I reach for when I go to break down carboard in our recycling bin. I have used it but lightly. I also haven't used the 2018 Forum Knife yet. I'm not against using it but, again, I have plenty of other users including several PM2s. I also have a few extras stored in my gun safe. I didnt really intend to buy any back ups. I had some pre-orders that were taking a while to get filled and I ordered from other dealers.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

Using the term "user" loosely, about 70% are users...at very least I can't call them BNIB. The other 30% are BNIB and will gradually be listed on the exchange.
dodgie02

Post by dodgie02 »

All of them, I'll rotate pm2s mainly, usually the cruwear gray sprint or that red m390 one, and alongside that I usually keep a smaller blade on me when around people or places where blades are not received equally well. Be that a regular sage 5 or a caly 3 HAP40 sprint - which I believe is now discontinued even? - I'll use it if I like it.

Knives that I don't like leave my collection, and only in 2 cases do I have backups of the same model if I REALLY love the model, in my case that caly 3 model. My worker is all beat up and has scratches all over and that's how I like my much used knives. Had to get another and succeeded luckily incase I lost my first one in the years to come, God forbid.

I'll collect interesting limited editions but I see no reason to keep them in box, much more fun using them.
DrawBackwards

Post by DrawBackwards »

Can’t really afford a collection, so it’s all users for me. I’m trying to stick with a small number that I really like - not that Sal & Eric are making that easy.

Good problem to have, though... :D

- Ward
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I answered 71 to 80%.
All of my Spydercos are users. From the least expensive uo to my Slysz Bowie (Slysz Bowie cuts great btw).
But I've got a few that are more jewelry. A custom damascus blade slimline trapper with damascus bolsters and backspring and file work and black micarta from Chuck Hawes. Some other rare or pretty traditionals and a bark river with fancy burl I literally bought to ogle at (judge me, fine).
But everything else is a user: My sebenza has scars, my expensive m390 fixed blade has as many scratches as an h1, I had to re-tip my first PM2 (first good knife), my P4 blade is only a year old but looks 10, etc.

I do buy my knives as tools, but do like a display piece on the rare occasion.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

About 5 % of all my knives are in use and I'm happy with this ratio.
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

100%. Some see 4 weeks without pocket time, as I work for 4 weeks consecutively in extremely salty conditions. But all of my knives either get used or sold.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I voted the 50-60% slot. But at one time my user's were at about 20%. Several contributors added to that shift. I guess I'm just getting more pragmatic as times goes forward. And many of the collector pieces I have are basically back up units in case one of my much users got lost, stolen or misplaced. I now wish I would have had a back up unit to my late, beloved G-10 Harpy that got stolen :mad:

But the old cliche "I Would Rather Have It And Not Need It, Than To Need It And Not Have It" really applies in my current situation.

It's always good to have some NIB units for trade and for back up units. There are very few anymore that I regard as sacred collectibles.
jezabel

Post by jezabel »

No safe queens here.
Everything gets used.

J
FB04PBB, C07FS4K390, C12GS, C12SBK2, C36GS, C36GTIP, C36CFM390P, C36CFTIP, C36GPBORE, C41BKPS, C44GP&SGY, C46PS, C46GPBK, C52BKP, C52FPGYE, C63G3, C65TIP, C70S, C81FG, C81GS2, C81CFM4P2, C83BM, C83GP2, C101GP, C101GPS, C101CF90VP2, C105, C134CF, C151GODTiPBK
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

21-30% for me.
Convinced myself back in the day I wouldn't get too many safe queens...
Fast forward 15 years or so, and I just love some of the more exotic sprints, customs, Santa Fe Stoneworks models, etc.

In the past years I've been busy searching for duplicates which I'll use because I can always keep one of the two minty :)
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'd say 100% but technically some of them are pre-need replacements so they haven't seen use yet. As it's going lately I may even sell some of those off since I've come to love SE so much.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

100% for me.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I do not buy knives I do not intend to use. Normally, my comments and preferences on knives is because I have used them.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Nate

Post by Nate »

Without doing the maths I'd guess my collection is at 71-80% users.

Never really intended to have any safe queens, but between a few back-ups, impluse buys, and some great deals that I couldn't pass up, there's a portion of my collection that lives in boxes.

Others were just victims of multiple new knives coming over a short period. Carried only very briefly before the next one showed up. For example, a HAP40 Manbug carried on my keys for a week or two, used maybe once or twice to actually cut something, and then has been back in the box ever since the Manbug Salt dropped? I guess technically it's a "user," but I'm not really counting it as one anymore.

Wouldn't mind letting a few things go, and do occasionally, but don't have a compelling reason to go throw the trouble at the moment.
:spyder: