Cutlery Shoppe Para 3 exclusives

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Stonewash or DLC?

Shiny! I want the stonewashed version.
48%
Blackout makes even bright orange G10 stealthy (or at least super-cool looking), make mine DLC!
30%
Choosing is so hard, I'm going to try for both...
22%

Total votes: 146

Joey

Re: Cutlery Shoppe Para 3 exclusives

Post by Joey »

You’re not going to send it in for repair? I wouldn’t accept that knife. I feel at $150 there’s no room for error, and you deserve to send it in. That’s a lot of money for a knife that doesn’t function smoothly.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Joey wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:35 am
You’re not going to send it in for repair? I wouldn’t accept that knife. I feel at $150 there’s no room for error, and you deserve to send it in. That’s a lot of money for a knife that doesn’t function smoothly.

It’s not worth the risk. I’m in Canada. If I send it in I might never get it back because of our new borders policy regarding folding knives.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Mstach07

Post by Mstach07 »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:26 am
Joey wrote:

It’s not worth the risk. I’m in Canada. If I send it in I might never get it back because of our new borders policy regarding folding knives.
Try taking the liners from the scales. Mine was a very very tight fit. It was causing lock stick. I sanded the top of the liner (not the lock section that contains the detent ball and locks the blade) that contains the compression lock with 600 grit paper on basswood. This was basically between the lanyard hold and the lock release tab. Then I buffed in a wheel. It completely removed the lock stick and smoothed the entire action. I believe it was the tension between scales and liners doing it for me. This was on the CS para 3 dlc that was mailed to me on Wednesday.
Last edited by Mstach07 on Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

Mstach07 wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:37 pm
Liquid Cobra wrote:
Joey wrote:

Try taking the liners from the scales. Mine was a very very tight fit. It was causing lock stick. I sanded the top of the scale (not the lock section that contains the detention ball and locks the blade) that contains the compression lock with 600 grit paper on basswood. This was basically between the lanyard hold and the lock release tab. Then I buffed in a wheel. It completely removed the lock stick and smoothed the entire action. I believe it was the tension between scales and liners doing it for me. This was on the CS para 3 dlc that was mailed to me on Wednesday.
^^^^^^this!!! I used this technique on a NIB S110v PM2 with lock stick that wouldn't smooth out with pivot/screw adjustment. Hope it works out for you.

James
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Got shipping notice as others had predicted. Looks like Jeff is working today.
Mstach07

Post by Mstach07 »

Double post
husq2100

Post by husq2100 »

buccilli15 wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:26 am
husq2100 wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:13 am
husq2100 wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:36 am
Im hoping they sent me the wrong tracking info.... otherwise someone in MERIDIAN, ID 83642 recieved mine... bit short of Australia
Im a little disapointed with CS to be honest. When I first checked the tracking and saw it had been delived and to MERIDIAN, ID 83642, I double checked my info in my CS account. I then messaged/contacted them through their website. This was about 24hrs ago. I hadnt heard anything by the morning (my time) so I tried to call 4 times between 12-1pm their time. Only got voice message each time. I then messaged again, this time from my email.

Not a single reply. While I know they probably couldnt solve the problem quickly a simple confirmation of contact and that they are following it up would go a long way. Communication costs very little....
Try calling them today, but I don't think they open for another 3-4 hours. Yesterday was the Thanksgiving holiday in the US and I wouldn't be shocked at all if they worked limited hours on Wednesday. I've purchased product from CS for going on ten years and have always had a very positive experience - Jeff will make hings right for you. Be patient.
I received a reply:

"Sergio,
We are in Meridian, Idaho.
That happens sometimes when the USPS carrier scans a package as delivered, inserted of pick up.
Stay sharp!
Jeff"

Not the most inspiring information. I checked again USPS tracking, still says delivered. So I called USPS.... that was tough, no problem understanding my accent, but just basic understanding was terrible.

Tried calling CS again, still on voice mail.

This is not a $10 order, and 2 limited edition items that cant be replaced. Again I figure a little more communication or effort would go a long way.
crow2071

Post by crow2071 »

husq2100 wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:16 pm
buccilli15 wrote:
husq2100 wrote:
husq2100 wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:36 am
Im hoping they sent me the wrong tracking info.... otherwise someone in MERIDIAN, ID 83642 recieved mine... bit short of Australia
Im a little disapointed with CS to be honest. When I first checked the tracking and saw it had been delived and to MERIDIAN, ID 83642, I double checked my info in my CS account. I then messaged/contacted them through their website. This was about 24hrs ago. I hadnt heard anything by the morning (my time) so I tried to call 4 times between 12-1pm their time. Only got voice message each time. I then messaged again, this time from my email.

Not a single reply. While I know they probably couldnt solve the problem quickly a simple confirmation of contact and that they are following it up would go a long way. Communication costs very little....
Try calling them today, but I don't think they open for another 3-4 hours. Yesterday was the Thanksgiving holiday in the US and I wouldn't be shocked at all if they worked limited hours on Wednesday. I've purchased product from CS for going on ten years and have always had a very positive experience - Jeff will make hings right for you. Be patient.
I received a reply:

"Sergio,
That happens sometimes when the USPS carrier scans a package as delivered, inserted of pick up.
Stay sharp!
Jeff"

Not the most inspiring information. I checked again USPS tracking, still says delivered. So I called USPS.... that was tough, no problem understanding my accent, but just basic understanding was terrible.

This is not a $10 order, and 2 limited edition items that cant be replaced. Again I figure a little more communication or effort would go a long way.
Believe it or not that happens a lot with the USPS, at least with me it does. You'll get your package. I know its unnerving but that kinda of tracking error is common.
husq2100

Post by husq2100 »

crow2071 wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:49 pm
husq2100 wrote:
buccilli15 wrote:
husq2100 wrote:

I received a reply:

"Sergio,
Stay sharp!
Jeff"

Believe it or not that happens a lot with the USPS, at least with me it does. You'll get your package. I know its unnerving but that kinda of tracking error is common.
Thanks for the reasuring words crow. (thumbs up)

In over 300 items sent from the United States using USPS this is the first time this has occured for me. The one only problem Ive ever had was a package that took about 3 weeks longer than it should and tracking just stopped half way through.... I have my suspisions that sender may have sent first class instead of Priority Mail.

Given what Jeff said, yet viewing the tracking history it shows a label being created, being picked up, moving through facilities and then being "Your item was delivered to an individual at the address at 12:56 pm on November 21, 2018 in MERIDIAN, ID 83642.. the next day, That makes me a little uneasy .
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

Mine finally arrived! Is it too late to photograph with a pumpkin? ;)

Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
VA.koi guy

Post by VA.koi guy »

husq2100 wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:31 pm
crow2071 wrote:
husq2100 wrote:
buccilli15 wrote:

I received a reply:

"Sergio,
Stay sharp!
Jeff"

In over 300 items sent from the United States using USPS this is the first time this has occured for me. The one only problem Ive ever had was a package that took about 3 weeks longer than it should and tracking just stopped half way through.... I have my suspisions that sender may have sent first class instead of Priority Mail.

Given what Jeff said, yet viewing the tracking history it shows a label being created, being picked up, moving through facilities and then being "Your item was delivered to an individual at the address at 12:56 pm on November 21, 2018 in MERIDIAN, ID 83642.. the next day, That makes me a little uneasy .
husq2100, hang in there man!
I enjoy your posts here and have fingers crossed that your CS exclusives are not lost! They are very nice BTW
How long is normal shipping to you??
Good luck! :)
husq2100

Post by husq2100 »

VA.koi guy wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:51 pm
husq2100 wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:31 pm
crow2071 wrote:
husq2100 wrote:

I received a reply:

"Sergio,
Stay sharp!
Jeff"

husq2100, hang in there man!
I enjoy your posts here and have fingers crossed that your CS exclusives are not lost! They are very nice BTW
How long is normal shipping to you??
Good luck! :)
Thanks mate :)

USPS Priority Mail International is normally right on 11-14 days. Priority Mail Express is faster again at 3-5 days. UPS/FedEX etc are normally 3-5 days as well. Its all about the price and reliabilty for me, I dont mind waiting 2 weeks If I know its safe.Tracking has always been on point and imformative, it continues to track here as Australia post takes over the final leg of the journey. US$40 is the cheapest im shipping a single knife to Australia.

I received another reply from Jeff after I emailed again and voiced my concerns. He checked my order and told me the tracking number he has for it, which is different to the one that was given in the CS order update email notification. Seems a bit odd as I thought the order info etc would all be computer lined up/auto generated with in a set system to avoid errors???

When people were questioning shipping confirmation and times, I had no problem as I know this stuff can take time given the numbers and small stores. When people complain about shipping costs or time I have a little laugh to myself... I mean US$10 on top of a US$150 knife is nothing IMO and remember you are paying for a servie that employs people...

I just find it frustrating when communication seems to have to be forced, and it has been my experience of over 20 years of importing items (mostly from the United States) that when problems arise, quick action usually sorts them out before the point of no return (so to speak). I would have thought it pretty SOP, once I had contacted CS pointing out my problem as I knew it, That my order details checked againts the info I was giving ( I gave my order and tracking numbers as given to me). That USPS tracking checked etc. SImple tasks to find out what was wrong (and I do hope it is only that)

I have both of these in PM2 so am really looking forward to them. I have the Para 3 in S35V and really like the satin finish on the blade which, if you go back to page 3, post by "Allhatnocatlle, the pic looks like the satin version had the same finish, but alaas it doesnt seem that way.

the Para 3 is slowly winning me over... and that is dangerous! lol

I do have some PM2 C20V tan scales headed my way to put on another PM2... IT will be my first modded PM2.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

husq2100 wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:35 am

I received another reply from Jeff after I emailed again and voiced my concerns. He checked my order and told me the tracking number he has for it, which is different to the one that was given in the CS order update email notification.

Does your "new" tracking number give more sensible/reassuring results?
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
husq2100

Post by husq2100 »

awa54 wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:07 am
husq2100 wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:35 am

I received another reply from Jeff after I emailed again and voiced my concerns. He checked my order and told me the tracking number he has for it, which is different to the one that was given in the CS order update email notification.

Does your "new" tracking number give more sensible/reassuring results?
So far, yes, but early days. Fingers crossed
Xander3Zero

Post by Xander3Zero »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:59 pm
Reluctant to make this post but we share the good and the bad here. Regarding my XHP Para 3...

The good:
- It’s sharp.
- It’s a para 3 so the ergos are great.
- The orange is beautiful and bright.
- Cutlery Shoppes service is second to none. Came with all sorts goodies in the box.

The bad:
- The blade has a 100 micro scratches all over it. Almost like they considered a stone wash then changed their mind.
- Blade is far off center.
- Terrible action. Blade gets stuck about halfway when shutting.
- Worst lock stick I’ve experienced in a long long time.

If the knife had one or two of those issues I wouldn’t mind. But all four combined is disappointing. If I didn’t live in Canada I would try to send it back for an exchange but that’s not an option for me. Mainly it’s the lock stick that is bugging me. It takes considerable force to unlock the knife. I thought opening and closing it repeatedly would help break it in but it’s simply making the stick worse, and I didn’t think it could get worse.

Anyway, I’m sure mine is just one that managed to squeak through QC and doesn’t reflect the whole batch. But out of all the Para 3 sprints/exclusives this was highest on my list. So it’s unfortunate that it is the one with these kinds of issues.
I received my CS Exclusive Para 3 on Friday, and I have a similar example of poor QC.

Blade centering is mediocre at best. Action is very stiff, so I adjusted the pivot a little bit and it seemed to have little effect. If I just hold the lock tab open (so the blade is free to move) and cycle the blade through its arc of travel, I can feel a "bumpy sticking point" about halfway through its travel. Not sure how to describe it, it just doesn't move consistently and smoothly through the rotation. Terrible lock stick just like the poster above. Additionally, the bevel at the tip is extremely uneven. Looks like 20 DPS on one side of the blade and maybe 40 degrees on the other side.

The knife has been sitting on my desk since I received it, since I am pretty torn about how to proceed. Does CS accept returns on these exclusives? My other thought it to disassemble it, clean it and re lubricate it and hope that I can remedy the poor action. I'm honestly very disappointed. The QC is nothing like my other Spydercos. Another option for me would be to try and sell it to another collector, but I don't want to drop this poor QC into someone else's lap.
andrewu750

Post by andrewu750 »

I must have got lucky. My satin one is close to perfect and the dlc has a very smooth action and looks great. However the blade is just a touch off center but not bad at all
restless ghost

Post by restless ghost »

[/quote]

Try taking the liners from the scales. Mine was a very very tight fit. It was causing lock stick. I sanded the top of the liner (not the lock section that contains the detent ball and locks the blade) that contains the compression lock with 600 grit paper on basswood. This was basically between the lanyard hold and the lock release tab. Then I buffed in a wheel. It completely removed the lock stick and smoothed the entire action. I believe it was the tension between scales and liners doing it for me. This was on the CS para 3 dlc that was mailed to me on Wednesday.
[/quote]

My DLC was centered with smooth action, but had a touch of lock stick. This method worked on mine as well!
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

Xander3Zero wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:13 am
If I just hold the lock tab open (so the blade is free to move) and cycle the blade through its arc of travel, I can feel a "bumpy sticking point" about halfway through its travel. Not sure how to describe it, it just doesn't move consistently and smoothly through the rotation.
I have the exact issue with my BHQ Jade/DLC Para 3. I haven't carried it since I got it so haven't done anything about it. I love the knife and obviously can't get another one so I'll just deal with it. :(
Joey

Post by Joey »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Joey wrote:

Sorry to hear that :/ I hope you can find some way to resolve the issue.
restless ghost

Post by restless ghost »