Cutlery Shoppe Para 3 exclusives

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Stonewash or DLC?

Shiny! I want the stonewashed version.
48%
Blackout makes even bright orange G10 stealthy (or at least super-cool looking), make mine DLC!
30%
Choosing is so hard, I'm going to try for both...
22%

Total votes: 146

restless ghost

Re: Cutlery Shoppe Para 3 exclusives

Post by restless ghost »

dowlf

Post by dowlf »

Nice knife!
Rutger

Post by Rutger »

That DLC looks so nice!

My knives are on their way but it will take some time with international shipping times. I'll enjoy these nice pics you guys are posting in the mean time.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Another win for this Canadian Spyderco Addict. Woohoo!
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

I was bummed that I wasn't going to get to handle my new orange Para 3s until I got back from vacation. So I got a nice surprise tonight when my daughter showed up with a box from Cutlery Shoppe. Not only were both knives packed nicely with no damage, There were other goodies inside. My wife grabbed all the tootsie pops.... :eek: Thank you CS for the great service and extras!

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

James
Attachments
2018-11-21 23.53.19.jpg
husq2100

Post by husq2100 »

Im hoping they sent me the wrong tracking info.... otherwise someone in MERIDIAN, ID 83642 recieved mine... bit short of Australia
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

They recycle tracking numbers. Which can lead to things apparently going to by way of your elbow.
husq2100

Post by husq2100 »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:23 am
They recycle tracking numbers. Which can lead to things apparently going to by way of your elbow.
Tracking says delivered, order says complete...
black

Post by black »

So are they gone or is there still a chance to get one?
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Reluctant to make this post but we share the good and the bad here. Regarding my XHP Para 3...

The good:
- It’s sharp.
- It’s a para 3 so the ergos are great.
- The orange is beautiful and bright.
- Cutlery Shoppes service is second to none. Came with all sorts goodies in the box.

The bad:
- The blade has a 100 micro scratches all over it. Almost like they considered a stone wash then changed their mind.
- Blade is far off center.
- Terrible action. Blade gets stuck about halfway when shutting.
- Worst lock stick I’ve experienced in a long long time.

If the knife had one or two of those issues I wouldn’t mind. But all four combined is disappointing. If I didn’t live in Canada I would try to send it back for an exchange but that’s not an option for me. Mainly it’s the lock stick that is bugging me. It takes considerable force to unlock the knife. I thought opening and closing it repeatedly would help break it in but it’s simply making the stick worse, and I didn’t think it could get worse.

Anyway, I’m sure mine is just one that managed to squeak through QC and doesn’t reflect the whole batch. But out of all the Para 3 sprints/exclusives this was highest on my list. So it’s unfortunate that it is the one with these kinds of issues.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390

@liquid_cobra
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:59 pm
Mainly it’s the lock stick that is bugging me. It takes considerable force to unlock the knife. I thought opening and closing it repeatedly would help break it in but it’s simply making the stick worse, and I didn’t think it could get worse.

Did you adjust the pivot screw and other screws? Back them out a bit till the blade free drops easily, then slowly tighten until it is what you prefer.

Am I the only one who adjusts every knife the second they get it? I feel like most knives I get need at least a minor adjustment of the pivot screw. Why spend hours opening/closing when you can adjust a screw in under a minute?
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:20 pm
Liquid Cobra wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:59 pm
Mainly it’s the lock stick that is bugging me. It takes considerable force to unlock the knife. I thought opening and closing it repeatedly would help break it in but it’s simply making the stick worse, and I didn’t think it could get worse.

Did you adjust the pivot screw and other screws? Back them out a bit till the blade free drops easily, then slowly tighten until it is what you prefer.

Am I the only one who adjusts every knife the second they get it? I feel like most knives I get need at least a minor adjustment of the pivot screw. Why spend hours opening/closing when you can adjust a screw in under a minute?
Yup. I’ve done all kinds of tweaking to try and nullify the issues. Nothing has worked. This ain’t my first rodeo.

@liquid_cobra
Joey

Post by Joey »

black wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:45 pm
So are they gone or is there still a chance to get one?
They’re gone, however you can find them all over eBay. I’d wait around for someone who just doesn’t like theirs vs. buying from someone trying to make some $. I’ve seen plenty of good people post previous para 3 sprints on there for around initial retail value ($150-$180)
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:20 pm
Am I the only one who adjusts every knife the second they get it?
You might be the only one who adjusts every knife the second they get it. You're certainly not the only one who adjusts their knives.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
husq2100

Post by husq2100 »

husq2100 wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:36 am
Im hoping they sent me the wrong tracking info.... otherwise someone in MERIDIAN, ID 83642 recieved mine... bit short of Australia
Im a little disapointed with CS to be honest. When I first checked the tracking and saw it had been delived and to MERIDIAN, ID 83642, I double checked my info in my CS account. I then messaged/contacted them through their website. This was about 24hrs ago. I hadnt heard anything by the morning (my time) so I tried to call 4 times between 12-1pm their time. Only got voice message each time. I then messaged again, this time from my email.

Not a single reply. While I know they probably couldnt solve the problem quickly a simple confirmation of contact and that they are following it up would go a long way. Communication costs very little....
crow2071

Post by crow2071 »

husq2100 wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:13 am
husq2100 wrote:
Im a little disapointed with CS to be honest. When I first checked the tracking and saw it had been delived and to MERIDIAN, ID 83642, I double checked my info in my CS account. I then messaged/contacted them through their website. This was about 24hrs ago. I hadnt heard anything by the morning (my time) so I tried to call 4 times between 12-1pm their time. Only got voice message each time. I then messaged again, this time from my email.

Not a single reply. While I know they probably couldnt solve the problem quickly a simple confirmation of contact and that they are following it up would go a long way. Communication costs very little....
Its Thanksgiving in the United States right now. I wouldn't expect any reply until Monday.
buccilli15

Post by buccilli15 »

husq2100 wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:13 am
husq2100 wrote:

Try calling them today, but I don't think they open for another 3-4 hours. Yesterday was the Thanksgiving holiday in the US and I wouldn't be shocked at all if they worked limited hours on Wednesday. I've purchased product from CS for going on ten years and have always had a very positive experience - Jeff will make hings right for you. Be patient.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

LC, your knife's issues sound like they could be related to the floating stop pin not being fully seated... even a small amount of extra thickness there would make for non-parallel scales/washers which could easily explain the lock stick, off center blade and crummy action.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Rutger

Post by Rutger »

Had the same with my REX45 Para 3. Pencil lead would fix it only for a very short time. It got better when when i turned the lock pin a bit. Lock stick wasn't gone completely even after that though. But i don't know if it was due to use (haven't used it much) or the knife acclimatized or whatever, but that knife now has a perfect action.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

awa54 wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:35 am
LC, your knife's issues sound like they could be related to the floating stop pin not being fully seated... even a small amount of extra thickness there would make for non-parallel scales/washers which could easily explain the lock stick, off center blade and crummy action.
Thought of this too as well as the lanyard tube not being seated properly. Disassembled and assembled many times to see if it made a difference. Nope.

Rutger wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:35 am
Had the same with my REX45 Para 3. Pencil lead would fix it only for a very short time. It got better when when i turned the lock pin a bit. Lock stick wasn't gone completely even after that though. But i don't know if it was due to use (haven't used it much) or the knife acclimatized or whatever, but that knife now has a perfect action.

Yes I’ve tried spinning the pin a few times to see if that would make a difference. Nope.

It’s ok, I still like the knife a lot. It’s just a bit of a let down in the ways I described above. The knife cuts nicely though so I can live with it. :D

@liquid_cobra