Where can I find this knife? And what is it?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tps3443

Where can I find this knife? And what is it?

Post by tps3443 »

If this is not a Spyderco, my apologies; but I keep getting mixed findings in what it is exactly.

Anyways,

I keep seeing this knife In either CPM S110V, or S125V. I know it is a Phil Wilson? Or Spyderco? I want one. And it looks like it may be $300-400 bucks , though pretty expensive.

Can anyone fill me in on this? Is it made to order?

These pics were taken by a member on here, and both knives reviews by him too. The S125V made it like almost 2,200 cuts through 5/8” Manila rope! I love me :D some edge retention benchmarks.

“My daily razor blade”
Microtech Stitch CTS-204P stonewashed blade
Microtech Dirac Delta CTS-204P Black DLC
^Wicked Edge guided system^
anagarika

Re: Where can I find this knife? And what is it?

Post by anagarika »

Those are Phil Wilson knives. Did you see it from Jim Ankerson’s old post?

Spyderco made the production version: South Fork and Sprig. Both in s90V.

Upcoming is Coyote Meadow (sp?).
Chris :spyder:
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I think the first knife is one of Mr Wilson’s Southforks and the other is one of his Bow Rivers (?).

The Spyderco collaboration Southfork (S90V) was discontinued last year.

Sprig also discontinued and Southfork.

A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
tps3443

Post by tps3443 »

Is it possible to buy either of these? Preferably the brown one? Anyone know where I can find one?
“My daily razor blade”
tps3443

Post by tps3443 »

Bloke wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:14 pm
I think the first knife is one of Mr Wilson’s Southforks and the other is one of his Bow Rivers (?).

I really like the top knife with the leaf blade shape. Is the blade flexible? Or is it stiff? I’m not like using it to fillet fish or anything lol. I’d probably use it as a regular knife. I just think the design is great.
“My daily razor blade”
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

The collaboration of the Bow River (bottom brown one) has yet to be released, and the Sprig and Southfork have been discontinued. Your best bet to find one would be keeping an eye out on the secondary market.
Josh
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

Wait a little and you will be able to buy the Bow River for about 50$.It's a version of the brown one done in collaboration with Spyderco.I can't wait for it myself...
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

spyderwolf wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:02 am
Wait a little and you will be able to buy the Bow River for about 50$.It's a version of the brown one done in collaboration with Spyderco.I can't wait for it myself...
Where did that information come from ?

When is it likely ?
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

After using s110v exclusively for months, my interest in trying s125v is basically gone. I'm just not a fan of how the class of steel behaves, even though I appreciate it's properties/characteristics at the same time. In contrast, I'm willing to bet using 10v (or a11/k390) would make me want to try 15v MORE than I do currently.

Maybe one day I'll get to own a Phil Wilson. Hard to beat!
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

tps3443 wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:29 pm
Is it possible to buy either of these? Preferably the brown one? Anyone know where I can find one?
They are all custom, made by hand, one at a time.

I believe that Phil's waiting list is closed. I think it was 5 years long the last time it was open.

I'm fortunate enough to own a couple of his knives, and they are insanely good. My K390 Smoke Creek seems to stay super sharp forever and re-sharpen almost instantly. My Elmax Bird and Trout is still my most used knife.

Phil is on this forum from time to time, so maybe he'll see your thread and respond. His web site is here: http://www.seamountknifeworks.com
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

500Nitro wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:32 am

When is it likely ?

Price is $32 and has been on pre-sale on all the online stores for awhile. It was part of their mid-year release catalog. Steel will be 8cr13mov and made in China. Nobody really knows when we'll see it arrive.
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

500Nitro wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:32 am
spyderwolf wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:02 am

When is it likely ?
It will be available hopefully mid december.

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyderco- ... ade--85407
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Pelagic wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:00 am
After using s110v exclusively for months, my interest in trying s125v is basically gone. I'm just not a fan of how the class of steel behaves, even though I appreciate it's properties/characteristics at the same time. In contrast, I'm willing to bet using 10v (or a11/k390) would make me want to try 15v MORE than I do currently.
I have one of Phil's customs in K390, and honestly I think it may be the ultimate steel for a mid-sized (4-5") fixed blade, so long as stain resistance isn't a major criteria. My only Maxamet fixed blade is a Mule, and obviously the custom is hands down better, but the only steel I'd like to match up to the K390 (in a similar platform) is Maxamet. I have a Rex121 custom on the way, and I'll be curious to try that, too--I'm really curious how they stack up to each other for toughness in a fixed blade.

I really like s110v for smaller (folding, EDC) knives. The edge holding of s110v is great though, and for a stainless you can't really beat it for small, precise (read: not toughness oriented) folders.

But I find that for anything middle sized or larger I prefer something tougher. I actually prefer s90v (which many people regard as "lesser") to s110v for any fixed blade, and basically for anything larger than about 3 inches. On balance, I think like Elmax if you need stainlessness. It doesn't hold it's edge as well as s90v, but it's still really good for that, and a lot more stainless (I've been able to discolor my s90v and no matter how much I neglect the Elmax it stays shiny). Elmax has been really tough for me too (although s90v also really shines in that category--not sure there is a clear winner there).
tps3443

Post by tps3443 »

TomAiello wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:16 am
Pelagic wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:00 am
I have one of Phil's customs in K390, and honestly I think it may be the ultimate steel for a mid-sized (4-5") fixed blade, so long as stain resistance isn't a major criteria. My only Maxamet fixed blade is a Mule, and obviously the custom is hands down better, but the only steel I'd like to match up to the K390 (in a similar platform) is Maxamet. I have a Rex121 custom on the way, and I'll be curious to try that, too--I'm really curious how they stack up to each other for toughness in a fixed blade.

I really like s110v for smaller (folding, EDC) knives. The edge holding of s110v is great though, and for a stainless you can't really beat it for small, precise (read: not toughness oriented) folders.

But I find that for anything middle sized or larger I prefer something tougher. I actually prefer s90v (which many people regard as "lesser") to s110v for any fixed blade, and basically for anything larger than about 3 inches. On balance, I think like Elmax if you need stainlessness. It doesn't hold it's edge as well as s90v, but it's still really good for that, and a lot more stainless (I've been able to discolor my s90v and no matter how much I neglect the Elmax it stays shiny). Elmax has been really tough for me too (although s90v also really shines in that category--not sure there is a clear winner there).
I had a similar experience with CPM S110V, chipped, very brittle too. but as the factory edge dissolved, and the knives were resharpened, S110V can be very strong.

I’ve gotten to the point where I can stab 1 gallon paint cans without chipping.

I was redoing my mother’s porch, the deck stain was in these oddly shaped gallon cans. I had to cut a triangle to open it, then I stabbed a hole in the back for easy pouring. I had to stab (3) cans in total like this. The knife still shaves.

^ After seeing vivi’s video It really inspired me to see how much I can push a steel.

I use to use my blades like they were glass. But now you can really wrench on them pretty good.
“My daily razor blade”
tps3443

Post by tps3443 »

I appreciate all of the input everyone, Have a good thanksgiving!

I’m gonna try to find the knife Bloke posted up, with a “Leaf” blade. I really like that knife
“My daily razor blade”
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

tps3443 wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:37 pm
Bloke wrote:

I really like the top knife with the leaf blade shape. Is the blade flexible? Or is it stiff? I’m not like using it to fillet fish or anything lol. I’d probably use it as a regular knife. I just think the design is great.
Ah,The Mighty Sprig - 3mm Blade Stock means it has a stiff blade. I don't know were the Sprig's speciality lays but I don't think there is anything you couldn't do with it.

It's not the ultimate fillet knife but it fillets exceptionally well. Similarly it's not the perfect game prep knife and admittedly I haven't dressed game with it (yet) but I feel you could dress anything with it.

It's one knife I'd hate to be without and grabbed a backup seeing it was discontinued this year. Have a look around and if you can find one I'd say buy it. You won't be disappointed. :)
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Bloke wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:27 pm
tps3443 wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:37 pm
Bloke wrote:

Ah,The Mighty Sprig - 3mm Blade Stock means it has a stiff blade. I don't know were the Sprig's speciality lays but I don't think there is anything you couldn't do with it.

It's not the ultimate fillet knife but it fillets exceptionally well. Similarly it's not the perfect game prep knife and admittedly I haven't dressed game with it (yet) but I feel you could dress anything with it.

It's one knife I'd hate to be without and grabbed a backup seeing it was discontinued this year. Have a look around and if you can find one I'd say buy it. You won't be disappointed. :)
Chris_P_Bacon

Post by Chris_P_Bacon »

tps3443 wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:39 am

I’m gonna try to find the knife Bloke posted up, with a “Leaf” blade. I really like that knife
TPS, if you don't have any luck finding one.

Amazon, still has 4 spyderco sprigs remaining.

Says "more on the way", but I wouldn't count on that happening.
Currently have 163 :spyder: 's & 41 different steels.
Bench Stones Atoma Diamond Plate 140,400,600,1200. Naniwa Chosera 400,800,1000,3000,5000.
Shapton Glass 1000,6000. Suehiro Rika 5000. Shapton Pro 320,1000,2000,5000,8000.
Naniwa Bonded Diamond 400,600,800,1000,3000,6000. Venev Gen2 OCB Combo Diamond 800/1200.
Spyderco 306UF, 306CBN. Doublestuff2 303FCBN2, & 204MF Sharpmaker w/204CBN for Spidie Edges.
Want List Steels 15V, S125V, K490, M398, Magnacut, S390, SRS-15, Vanadis 8, Vanax SC, Vancron SC,
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

tps3443 wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:39 am

DLT Trading has plenty in stock. I just ordered a second one since these are starting to become hard to find.

This is a great knife and I'm sorry to see it be discontinued.