VTOKU Sprint Run

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Holland

Re: VTOKU Sprint Run

Post by Holland »

BravoTango wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:36 pm
is the Stretch EVER going to be released? LOL. come on!
If I remember right, I think the stretch is usually last. I think the order is usually: endura, delica, manbug/ladybug, dragonfly, stretch
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
bouhunter

Post by bouhunter »

I see the ladybug is out.
fixall

Post by fixall »

bouhunter wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:30 am
They've been out for three weeks, lol.
bouhunter

Post by bouhunter »

fixall wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:31 pm
bouhunter wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:30 am
They've been out for three weeks, lol.
Guess I've been too busy buying other knives to notice :p
W7H2O

Post by W7H2O »

Something soon I hope.
T_MAC686

Post by T_MAC686 »

DF2 ?!?!
Hangfire

Post by Hangfire »

Joining the ranks waiting for the Stretch V-Toku2... ordered months ago, waiting waiting waiting:(
PineChaos

Post by PineChaos »

fixall

Post by fixall »

Where's that darn Dragonfly... :(
DOUBLE D

Post by DOUBLE D »

Hello. I've been reading forum posts for quite some time, but finally signed up and now posting. Can I get some good info on different options for maintenance and care with the v-toku2 steel. Normally for my other blades I clean them with alcohol, and then use them without any other maintenance. Mostly because I use them a lot on food, and don't want oil ruining the food etc. Should I look into doing something different with v-toku2?. If I force a patina, well that help with rust, corrosion in long run? Even if go with the forced patina, will I still need to oil it afterwards?

Any info on different options and care instructions/ideas with this steel in particular would be very appreciated

Dave
DBCOOPER

Post by DBCOOPER »

I've been loving how my vtoku2 performs, it has definitely exceeded what I thought it was capable of in edge retention and edge stability, it has made me a believer, and I also think it's under rated compared to super blue, which are both great steels
I came here to cut sh#$ with my knives and chew bubblegum, and I'm all out of bubblegum
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

A food-safe mineral oil such as those used for wooden cutting boards should provide some corrosion protection. Or EVOO :D
awa54

Post by awa54 »

another non-toxic and not terribly gunky option for blade protection is camellia oil (tea oil, or tea seed oil, *not* tea tree oil!) this is a traditional Japanese protectant for tools and knives. It's almost entirely odorless and I have never detected a flavor transfer from my kitchen knives to food.

It's more expensive and harder to find than mineral oil, silicone or ballistol, but for blades I like it better than any of those others. It also doesn't gum up or get rancid over time (I've left woodworking tools for several years without cleaning old oil off!), at least not any reasonable period of time...
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
DOUBLE D

Post by DOUBLE D »

Thanks for the advice! I’m also interested in what would happen if I left it oil free? Would it just patina (assuming it’s wiped down)? Or be prone to rusting? And would a patina help with that? Or not be a factor either way.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

DOUBLE D wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:30 pm
Thanks for the advice! I’m also interested in what would happen if I left it oil free? Would it just patina (assuming it’s wiped down)? Or be prone to rusting? And would a patina help with that? Or not be a factor either way.
Sorry, I don't have any Vtoku yet (may get the Dragonfly which just came out), but I doubt that there's any reason to be concerned about blade oxidation from a practical standpoint. Judging by my experience with Superblue and 52100, I would say that, if you alway clean and dry it after use, it will probably develop a slightly uneven, maybe a bit blotchy patina, on the exposed Vtoku of course. But judging from some of the pictures a few pages back Vtoku may patinate quicker and darker than 52100 and Superblue. I doubt that actual rust will be a problem. I've carried and used a Superblue Dragonfly every day for years, and can't remember ever oiling it more than once or twice, and I've never seen any rust on it -- just the slightly uneven patina. But Of course, if you hang it up in sweaty pants for a day or two, it might be a different story :D
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
DOUBLE D

Post by DOUBLE D »

DougC-3 wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:50 am
DOUBLE D wrote:
Sorry, I don't have any Vtoku yet (may get the Dragonfly which just came out), but I doubt that there's any reason to be concerned about blade oxidation from a practical standpoint. Judging by my experience with Superblue and 52100, I would say that, if you alway clean and dry it after use, it will probably develop a slightly uneven, maybe a bit blotchy patina, on the exposed Vtoku of course. But judging from some of the pictures a few pages back Vtoku may patinate quicker and darker than 52100 and Superblue. I doubt that actual rust will be a problem. I've carried and used a Superblue Dragonfly every day for years, and can't remember ever oiling it more than once or twice, and I've never seen any rust on it -- just the slightly uneven patina. But Of course, if you hang it up in sweaty pants for a day or two, it might be a different story :D
Excellent!. Thank you for your info! I'm really loving the look and the way this steel performs. So much so that I picked up a delica and a spare endura. Can't go wrong for the price point on these. Move over for a little while zdp-189.

Dave
toxophilus

Post by toxophilus »

DOUBLE D wrote:

Both the Stretch V-Toku 2 and the Superblue Calypso Jr have been used for the past couple of weeks and neither have been oiled; just washed off/wiped dry.

I haven't noticed any rust, the Stretch developed a blue-ish patina after cutting meat with it; not so much when exposing it to onions & garlic whereas the Calypso Jr does what it naturally does :spyder:

bouhunter

Post by bouhunter »

Dragonfly in stock at Knives Plus
Spyderman91

Post by Spyderman91 »

I gifted my friend a VTOKU Endura this past week, and he absolutely loves it. He cut straight through a giant Safeway sandwich and it's packaging because he didn't expect it to cut so cleanly XD . He was also using it to cut pineapple, and I did pre-warn him that VTOKU is a tool steel. It needs to be wiped down, but to expect a patina because a little color is not a bad thing. Sure enough after he wiped down the pineapple juice (that was sitting for a few minutes) there was some blue-ish spots on the edge portion below the laminate. However, he did not mine at all (guy lives a very rural lifestyle) and continues to carry it daily.
Rpp

Post by Rpp »

Dragonfly 2 available at Smokey Mountainb and GPKnives.