Reality-Check please: Are our VG10 Knives slowly poisoning us?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bloke

Re: Reality-Check please: Are our VG10 Knives slowly poisoning us?

Post by Bloke »

tvenuto wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:23 pm
Bloke wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:15 pm
zhyla wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:52 pm
RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:04 am
SEF, I really wish you would stop starting these kinds of radiophobic threads,
SEF is building up a pretty solid reputation for nonsense threads. It’s just what he does.
He's also polite, courteous and good natured. :cool:

I've not known him to be judgemental of anyone. So I pose the question; Who are we to judge him or anyone? :)
Agreed.

Although in fairness, Zhyla merely made an (accurate) observation, not a judgement. And RS made a request (which seemed to be a tongue in cheek reference to his UN).
Perhaps I could have worded my last post a little better but I think you all know what I’m getting at.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Just don't eat the knife and you should be ok :D
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

See, I think people like SEF are important. He actually asks the question "what if". People like this are needful, otherwise people the opposite of that would have us all living in caves or mud huts because unless we ask such questions, we never progress.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Bloke wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:32 pm
Perhaps I could have worded my last post a little better but I think you all know what I’m getting at.
I don’t have any issue with your words. And I don’t disagree, SEF seems like an amicable guy. The implication, if I took it correctly, was that I’m being rude by summarizing his threads as nonsense. I appreciate that this forum is consistently a polite place to talk about knives. But I think we are doing him a disservice by nodding along with this stuff. He really wants to contribute good ideas (I think) but in my opinion needs a reality check on how to go about that.

So SEF, if you’re reading any of this, I would suggest you try to do more research and be more skeptical about your topics before unleashing then here. You want to have content people don’t write off immediately, right? In this case you should have found out that VG-10 is a standard steel in kitchen knives and questioned the validity of your hypothesis. It’s also worth remembering that if you don’t have a good understanding about chemistry you’ll be prone to wrong conclusions about “chemicals”.

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:42 pm
See, I think people like SEF are important. He actually asks the question "what if". People like this are needful, otherwise people the opposite of that would have us all living in caves or mud huts because unless we ask such questions, we never progress.
Doc, I get where you’re coming from, but this is basically false. Progress is historically made by doers with knowledge. Surf Gringo doesn’t have a collaboration because he posted enough what-ifs here, but because he has working knowledge that is useful.

The “sharks with lasers” approach to innovation doesn’t move anything forward.
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

Couldn't we just leave this thread rest in peace?It's not even funny anymore.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Dingo wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:47 pm
I’d eat a lot of tuna, build up my mercury count and give myself an excuse for being a little strange
Also getting a lot taller ever time the temperature rises :D
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
mb1

Post by mb1 »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:41 pm
Just don't eat the knife and you should be ok :D
:D Read the title. Read this post. Consider myself safe. lol
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=80212&hilit=Cobalt+60&start=20

Here is the thread I believe SEF is referring to where the 'experts' give out the road apples and meadow muffins regarding cobalt in knife blades and outer space. He was not making this up. This was a discussion earlier this year. SEF is now asking if all this is true and wanting some answers.

What I would say to some of you, if you do not like what SEF has to say, don't read it. Just participate in another thread.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

zhyla wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:35 am
Bloke wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:32 pm
I don’t have any issue with your words. And I don’t disagree, SEF seems like an amicable guy. The implication, if I took it correctly, was that I’m being rude by summarizing his threads as nonsense. I appreciate that this forum is consistently a polite place to talk about knives. But I think we are doing him a disservice by nodding along with this stuff. He really wants to contribute good ideas (I think) but in my opinion needs a reality check on how to go about that.

So SEF, if you’re reading any of this, I would suggest you try to do more research and be more skeptical about your topics before unleashing then here. You want to have content people don’t write off immediately, right? In this case you should have found out that VG-10 is a standard steel in kitchen knives and questioned the validity of your hypothesis. It’s also worth remembering that if you don’t have a good understanding about chemistry you’ll be prone to wrong conclusions about “chemicals”.

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:42 pm
Doc, I get where you’re coming from, but this is basically false. Progress is historically made by doers with knowledge. Surf Gringo doesn’t have a collaboration because he posted enough what-ifs here, but because he has working knowledge that is useful.

The “sharks with lasers” approach to innovation doesn’t move anything forward.

I totally understand where you are coming from on this and I see when I am unwanted and not appreciated. I guess I should just leave this forum altogether and never come back, because, after all, the threads and posts I have made are trouble-making and off the wall and have no basis in reality, is that what you are saying? I know when I am hated and unwanted. Thank you for being straight forward to me with your thoughts. I appreciate that greatly.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:05 pm

I totally understand where you are coming from on this and I see when I am unwanted and not appreciated. I guess I should just leave this forum altogether and never come back, because, after all, the threads and posts I have made are trouble-making and off the wall and have no basis in reality, is that what you are saying? I know when I am hated and unwanted. Thank you for being straight forward to me with your thoughts. I appreciate that greatly.

SEF, don't let a few negative comments bother you. :) You, along with zhyla and everyone else here all make good contributions to this forum.

Please, guys, let's not create a problem out of such a simple and straightforward question.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

I fail to see the problem with this topic.
It wasn't till the late '90s that a local remelt and rolling mill facility, at the time 15 years in operation, installed a radiation detector to scan all scrap metal coming into the plant. I know of at least one case there, after installing the scanner, where the scrap coming in was contaminated, originating from Russia.

Although not probable in the case with our knives, completely possible.
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

jpm2 wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:16 pm
I fail to see the problem with this topic.
It wasn't till the late '90s that a local remelt and rolling mill facility, at the time 15 years in operation, installed a radiation detector to scan all scrap metal coming into the plant. I know of at least one case there, after installing the scanner, where the scrap coming in was contaminated, originating from Russia.

Although not probable in the case with our knives, completely possible.

Another reason may be to detect low background steel which is much more valuable Than just any old scrap.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
SEF, I think you’re being a little silly.

zhyla is entitled to an opinion as are the rest of us. That said, that’s all it is, an opinion and I’m sure no harm was meant.

Don’t let little things worry you, mate. It’s all the different characters and veiws that make the colourful fabric of the forum.

Can you imagine for a moment how boring this place would be if we were all the same? ;)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Bloke wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:26 am
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
SEF, I think you’re being a little silly.

zhyla is entitled to an opinion as are the rest of us. That said, that’s all it is, an opinion and I’m sure no harm was meant.

Don’t let little things worry you, mate. It’s all the different characters and veiws that make the colourful fabric of the forum.

Can you imagine for a moment how boring this place would be if we were all the same? ;)
+1. I enjoy your posts. They sometimes lead to interesting places. If I have nothing to contribute, I don’t.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:13 pm
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=80212&hilit=Cobalt+60&start=20

Here is the thread I believe SEF is referring to where the 'experts' give out the road apples and meadow muffins regarding cobalt in knife blades and outer space. He was not making this up. This was a discussion earlier this year. SEF is now asking if all this is true and wanting some answers.

What I would say to some of you, if you do not like what SEF has to say, don't read it. Just participate in another thread.
But SEF,

In that thread, it’s quite clear that the conversion of the cobalt doesn’t happen on earth unless it’s in an nuclear reactor. Not sure what worries you?
Chris :spyder:
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

High Carbide steels have Vanadium, couldn't you get Vanadium poisoning?
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Perhaps we need to heed California's warning and stop using metal knives and other things as they cause cancer.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I'm safe, I don't have any more knives with VG-10. Thank God.
Josh
cbrstar

Post by cbrstar »

OP, just think about this lead is something like 1 atom from being gold. Out in the wild lead turning into gold is impossible. But it has happened in a nuclear reactor.

Like others pointed out it's impossible for it to pick up that other atom outside a reactor.

But its not a bad question. We've taken all sorts of things for granted over the last century that turned out to be toxic.
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Oxygen is killing you right now.

http://undergroundwellness.com/oxygen-is-killing-us/

Life has a 100% chance of death with time.

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:39 pm
I do not want to sound paranoid or sensational, this is a sincere question. Some time back there was a thread on the forum here about VG10 and other cobalt-containing steel alloys for a "space/astronaut" knife, and it was commented that the naturally-occuring isotope of the cobalt atom, cobalt 59, can tramsmute into cobalt-60, a radioactive isotope that emits gamma rays. As you may well know, gamma rays are the most powerful known radioactive rays, more so than x-rays, and gamma rays are very detrimental to biological life.

Now, I love VG10 stainless steel. It is one of my favorites. And Spyderco crafts excellent knives made with VG10 blades.

I need a "reality check" here: Could our VG10 blades transmute into toxic radioactive knives and slowly poison us, or, not?

Read these:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cobalt-60#Applications

https://petpitchusa.wordpress.com/2012/ ... amination/

Now what happened there was that cobalt 60 was improperly disposed of and contaminated the steel bowls and other items. That is different than transmutation but it raises the same basic issue.

I love my Endura, Delica, and other VG10 knives. Does this mean we have to switch to a non-cobalt steel, like H1, or LC200N?
Last edited by Deadboxhero on Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives