Two questions for Sal regarding the Chaparral design

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sharp Guy

Re: Two questions for Sal regarding the Chaparral design

Post by Sharp Guy »

anycal wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:12 pm
There is a difference, on my CF Chaparral. About 5/8" from the tip, there is hump. If you run your finger over the spine, you can feel the difference of the curvature.
I can't see or feel any difference between my CF and FRN Chaparrals. I layed the blades on top of each other and they look identical. Then I dropped the top one down just a little so I can compare each and I couldn't see any difference then either.

Regardless, I like the Chaparrals just fine the way they are.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
anycal

Post by anycal »

It really is a non-issue to me. I don't know if there is a difference between different models. All I have is one.

OP noted a slight hump on the spine. Someone said there is none. All I am doing is providing my observation. There is a transition (hump) that is lacking on other models. Never paid attention to it until it was mentioned here.

Move on...
Peter
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

anycal wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:25 pm
It really is a non-issue to me. I don't know if there is a difference between different models. All I have is one.

OP noted a slight hump on the spine. Someone said there is none. All I am doing is providing my observation. There is a transition (hump) that is lacking on other models. Never paid attention to it until it was mentioned here.

Move on...
All good anycal. Not trying to be argumentative. Just pointing out what I'm seeing with my two Chaps. I wasn't doubting what you were saying. Humpy or not I'm a fan of the Chaparrals.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
DigDug72

Post by DigDug72 »

I'm in the severe minority here, but I was thinking the same thing as the OP regarding the Chap. The Chap was my first Spydie, and I've since bought 4 more, so don't take this the wrong way.
BUT, I agree w/ Marius - that dang hump has been buggin me for a while (aesthetically) - I'm a huge nerd when it comes to the lines of a knife. Function always comes first, but the artist in me need to see aesthetically pleasing lines, and it's one reason besides function that I'm drawn to pocket knives.
And that hump was NOT doing it for me in that respect, so I took her to the grinder about 3 months ago to 'handle' that sucker. Now when I use my Chap I not only go 'hot **** this slices like a lazer', but I also get to ogle her in that '**** yeah she's fine' type a way!
sparky2016

Post by sparky2016 »

sal wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:04 pm
I think he means that the entire "arc" itself is kinda of an hump. At least in comparison to the Calypso (older design) and the Urban (wider blade to offer more of a leverage arm to one hand open).

sal
I've noticed that too.

I prefer the narrower blade designs as well, but the answer seems to be choose one of the many other knives rather than think about how to change this one. I don't think the blade shape is a design flaw, it's a design choice that some people will find both more attractive and more useful.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

DigDug72 wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:05 pm
I'm in the severe minority here, but I was thinking the same thing as the OP regarding the Chap. The Chap was my first Spydie, and I've since bought 4 more, so don't take this the wrong way.
BUT, I agree w/ Marius - that dang hump has been buggin me for a while (aesthetically) - I'm a huge nerd when it comes to the lines of a knife. Function always comes first, but the artist in me need to see aesthetically pleasing lines, and it's one reason besides function that I'm drawn to pocket knives.
And that hump was NOT doing it for me in that respect, so I took her to the grinder about 3 months ago to 'handle' that sucker. Now when I use my Chap I not only go 'hot **** this slices like a lazer', but I also get to ogle her in that '**** yeah she's fine' type a way!

Thank you DigDug ... I was starting to think that maybe it's time to check my eyes :eek: When it comes to aesthetics I'm OCD ... can't help it ;)
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
DigDug72

Post by DigDug72 »

elena86 wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:55 am
Thank you DigDug ... I was starting to think that maybe it's time to check my eyes :eek: When it comes to aesthetics I'm OCD ... can't help it ;)
Thanks Marius, yeah I think it's a blessing and a curse!