Experiment: Try open carrying a fixed blade for a week

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Experiment: Try open carrying a fixed blade for a week

Post by vivi »

I'd like to propose an experiment, for those of us that are legally able to do so.

Open carry a fixed blade for a week, and report back to this thread.

Any model, any size, carried wherever you want....as long as it remains visible.

Post any observations you make. Feel free to update us each day.

Did you find it any more or less convenient than a folder? Which carry method did you decide on? Were you able to carry it in a way that convenient one handed operation was feasible? Did you try more than one carry method? Did anyone react in a negative way in a town / city where you carry a folder without any issues? Do you think after this week you'll keep doing it, or are you going EDC folders exclusively?
:unicorn
Tims

Re: Experiment: Try open carrying a fixed blade for a week

Post by Tims »

Hi Vivi

Open carry anything is a no no here in Australia let alone a ‘real’ knife, so I can’t offer any insight into public reaction.

That said I have a thing for small fixed blades so I’ve tried every carry method imagineable with EDC in mind. Try as I might to make it work, nothing was as quick or convenient as a folder. The following were some issues I had

- Returning the knife to its sheath. Leather or kydex, the whole process just took to long and becomes a spectacle for onlookers. With a folder I can close it and clip into my pocket quickly and without fuss. A fixed blade you have to look down and aim for the sheath because if you miss you eat steel. Less of a drama with your shirt tucked in but it’s a whole process with an untucked shirt. Lift shirt with one hand and sheath the knife with the other while looking down to make sure you don’t miss.

- Size. I found myself having to compromise on blade/handle length to have a package that was practical to edc. A 3.5 inch bladed folder disappears easily into your pocket. 3.5 inches on a fixed blade, not so much. Add handle length and a sheath and youve got 7+ inches to deal with.

I wish I could carry a fixed blade. Theres only one thing I like playing with more than a folder and thats a nice fixed blade
joeldworkin307

Post by joeldworkin307 »

When I lived in Denver, I carried an ESEE Izula every day in a leather belt sheath 5 o'clock position. nobody ever gave it a second glance. If I tried that in Chicago I'd have police meet me on the train.
Dingo

Post by Dingo »

I’m due to appear in court in the morning...I lasted 12 minutes and being tased sucked
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Dingo wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:46 am
I’m due to appear in court in the morning...I lasted 12 minutes and being tased sucked
SpydercoEndura4Generation.jpg
SpydercoEndura4Generation.jpg (5.21 KiB) Viewed 3800 times
Can you carry those?
vivi

Post by vivi »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:34 pm
Dingo wrote:

Can you carry those?
Doubtful. Even in the USA, knives in court are a big no no. That and flying are the only times I'm without.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Vivi wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:51 pm

Doubtful. Even in the USA, knives in court are a big no no. That and flying are the only times I'm without.

I learned that the hard way Vivi, at about age 8. :D When some family friends of ours adopted their long time foster child, my family went along to the courthouse with them for the final process. (This would have been in New Jersey.) Unbeknownst to my mother, my older brother and I both had our big hunting knives strapped on our belts as we walked through security. Lol. The security guard was very kind about it and gave us our knives back when we left. We both got a good chewing out from Mom though afterward. :D
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

I've carried a fixed blade on me a number of times, almost 24 hours a day.

In the military
On the farm working and hunting
In the NT of Australia working hunting

Military, SLR bayonet a PITA, M16 ok and Steyn ok except when getting in and out of vehicles / aircraft, especially vehicles.

The other two ok except vehicles

All in all I would carry a folder or multi tool over a fixed knife. much more useful and convenient to carry.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
Dingo

Post by Dingo »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Dingo wrote:

Can you carry those?
No, afraid not.
I carry my ukpk like a good conformist.
Still get strange looks from the masses
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

So I wasn't open carrying, but I happened to be riding the trolley with a guy who was a few days ago. The entire ride was fine. And then when the dude got up to get off the trolley, the 50 something year old man he was sitting next to noticed his knife and freaked out on him a little bit. "Oh you shouldn't have that sir, you're going to get arrested for having that here". (I think the guy assumed the dude with the knife wasn't from around here because he was open carrying, which is actually legal here, but against social norms).
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I would be interested in this, as I have more fixed blades than I use regularly. And it is legal for me to open carry a fixed blade knife, I'm just unable to conceal one. Without carrying a neck knife, I'm not sure how I could be certain that I didn't accidentally conceal it. So, I probably won't participate. But good idea for those that can participate!
SpyderEdgeForever

tvenuto wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:45 pm
I would be interested in this, as I have more fixed blades than I use regularly. And it is legal for me to open carry a fixed blade knife, I'm just unable to conceal one. Without carrying a neck knife, I'm not sure how I could be certain that I didn't accidentally conceal it. So, I probably won't participate. But good idea for those that can participate!
Would you ever use the Spyderco Moran line of fixed blades as a general-purpose cutting tool, tv, aside from the original topic of this post?
They seem to be pretty durable.
SpyderEdgeForever

Dingo wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:28 pm
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Dingo wrote:

Can you carry those?
No, afraid not.
I carry my ukpk like a good conformist.
Still get strange looks from the masses
Are they more tolerant in the rural communities such as in Northern Australia around Darwin and in outback areas when it comes to people carrying lock blade folders and fixed blades?
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I live in Illinois and I carry a ~3 inch blade outside of Chicago, and an ~2.5 inch blade in Chicago with no problems. Of course the same rules apply here in Illinois, you cannot carry a knife in to court, county building, police station or airport.

The rules in Chicago are hard ~2.5 inch max for carry. In the rest of Illinois its ~3 inches or smaller if in the course of your day you get in to an altercation and get charged with a crime, it will likely be a misdemeanor. But as far as I know their is no hard MAX length throughout Illinois as there is in Chicago, the difference being you would be charged with a felony(if found guilty of a crime), so most do not carry above ~3 inches in length just to be safe.

I usually wear the combination of two folders and a neck knife, or a ~3 inch fixed and a neck knife.

I'm just a tad overweight at 210lbs for 5'-9" and my shirts hide anything that I wear "exposed." I don't think it's illegal but typical clothing and a Winter jacket hide or conceal them. During this time of year nobody is going to notice, but this would be a good experiment for the Summer.
Last edited by Naperville on Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Spyderman91

Post by Spyderman91 »

I always wanted to test this out,

It is clear in Cali that you can wear a fixed blade from your waistband as long as it shows. Once it goes in the pocket it becomes concealed and off to trouble town you go. There doesn't seem to be much restriction on folder length, however, same rule applies it has to be visible on your person to be legal. I'd love to try this experiment but I am pretty sure my bosses would not be amused if I walked in with my double sided Kizlyar Stalker into the office.

I may try this at other public locations just to see how it fairs, the Spyderco Bushcraft is a descent size not so intimidating knife.
Attachments
stalker.JPG
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I open carry a FB almost all winter. I usually carry horizontal, right side front. My most commonly carried FBs are a Bradford Guardian 3 and a Morelli UHC, but I rotate others in there as well (lots of Mules in the past).

I've never really had any comments, aside from knife people asking to see them.

I work in the outdoor recreation industry, and 99% of the people I encounter are either my customers or employees, or other people I have a regular business relationship with, and none of them have ever given me any grief about a knife. I also live in relatively rural area of Idaho, where open carry of guns is reasonably common, so a knife is really no big deal.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Funny you should make this thread. I put a mule (PD#1)in my pocket a few days ago along with a para3 to try this combo out for a while, so I'll play along. Para 3 variant swaps in rfp and the mule lfp with handle rear facing and the clip on the outside of pocket.

2 new mules arrive Monday so once I make some scales I'll rotate them in as well.
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Rpp

Post by Rpp »

Absolutely not.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Funny this thread came up, I just got my Junction on Friday because I wanted to start openly carrying a fixed blade, and it hits the sweet spot to do that with its size. Been open carrying it since Saturday, I will report back next Saturday.

Saturday and today I carried it at 3 o’clock all day long and went to lots of public places, and around the house. No funny looks so far, I moved to the country finally. And as of today I prefer a fixed blade on the hip. Very easy to grab and use, way easier then a folder. Murdered a bunch of cardboard with it today.
Josh
vivi

Post by vivi »

You guys are really making me want to order myself a Junction for Chistmas :D