Two questions for Sal regarding the Chaparral design

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
elena86

Two questions for Sal regarding the Chaparral design

Post by elena86 »

I openly expressed my admiration for Sal's designs and these are just questions-sugestions in all humility and I am driven by the desire to improve the design of this superb little folder:

1. Why that slight hump on the spine of the blade, near the tip ? It spoils the aesthetics IMHO, but maybe there is a reason behind that. Would it be possible to remove that in a future iteration ?

2. It would only take 1 mm or so to fully expose the thumb hole so ... why not do it ?

Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Tims

Re: Two questions for Sal regarding the Chaparral design

Post by Tims »

Pretty thin stock on that Chaparral, I’d imagine it’s for tip strength.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

To me, the spine of the Chaparral is a smooth arc from the top of the Spyderhole to the tip, I don't see a "hump". I also think the spine's shape provides a esthetically pleasing symmetry with the edge's shape. Am sure someone could grind down the spine for you if you want it less curved or straight. As for the handle, changing it would change the ergonomics of the handle. Not sure it would be worth the risk for the minute gain in Spyderhole access. Especially since, unlike the Native, the hole's occlusion has never caused me any issue with opening the Chaparral. Again, easy enough mod if someone wants to experiment with their own knife.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Rutger

Post by Rutger »

I find the blade looking better as it is now. And when closed it has a better flow in the design. Also the hump makes it less aggressive looking. Very pointy blades scare none-knife people.
Same thing with the hole. I think i prefer it slightly recessed for aesthetics. I don't need more exposure for function. Differences in taste i guess.
ronT2

Post by ronT2 »

I like the leaf shape blade and find it aesthetically pleasing. Straightening the spine to be more of a clip point would make it less so.
My EDC rotation: Kapara, Chaparral CF, Mantra, Sage 1, Sage 5, Dice, Domino, Gayle Bradley 2, PakkaDelica, Native CFF
elena86

Post by elena86 »

ronT2 wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:30 am
I like the leaf shape blade and find it aesthetically pleasing. Straightening the spine to be more of a clip point would make it less so.
No "straitghtening" was mentioned in the OP ....
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

elena86

Post by elena86 »

The Deacon wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:11 am
To me, the spine of the Chaparral is a smooth arc from the top of the Spyderhole to the tip, I don't see a "hump". I also think the spine's shape provides a esthetically pleasing symmetry with the edge's shape. Am sure someone could grind down the spine for you if you want it less curved or straight. As for the handle, changing it would change the ergonomics of the handle. Not sure it would be worth the risk for the minute gain in Spyderhole access. Especially since, unlike the Native, the hole's occlusion has never caused me any issue with opening the Chaparral. Again, easy enough mod if someone wants to experiment with their own knife.
With all respect sir but... no, it's not a " smooth arc from the top of the spyderhole " IMO. But... maybe it's just semantics Or maybe I have a distorted perception ... I mean it

THIS is what I call a "smooth arc"

Or THIS
Marius

( Rabindranath Tagore )

jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Those are changes you can easily do yourself.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Marous,

As mentioned, the spine gives more tip strength with the thin steel stock and the handle was for ergos. Also, each design that create is its own design. Things like slip-joints change the shape of the blade to facilitate function. I'm way more conscious of function that eye appeal.

sal
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

The Chaparral sure looks like a smooth arc to me. I see no "hump".
sal

Post by sal »

I think he means that the entire "arc" itself is kinda of an hump. At least in comparison to the Calypso (older design) and the Urban (wider blade to offer more of a leverage arm to one hand open).

sal
RobDigi

Post by RobDigi »

I got my first Chap the stepped ti blu about a month ago.
I usually prefer the Spyderco blades that drop a little..like the PM2, Delica, Endura, Manbug...
much more than leaf shape Sage, Native, Manix

But the blade shape on the Chap is one of the many things I love about this knife.
The blade looks amazing when you grab it by the choil and thumb ramp... nice smooth lines,
and quite capable lol.

To the OP I would say put your thumb right up on that little hump..feels gooood!
sal

Post by sal »

Hey Rob,

That stepped Ti has no curved lines. The entire design is made up of straight lines. Not only is the design unique, the machining is exquisite.

sal
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

One of the main things I love about the Chaparral is its looks, both opened and closed. Other than adding versions with different scales, as intended, please leave the Chaparral as is.

I continue to be amazed at the number of comments from people trying to change the Chaparral.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Buy a file and get to work
ronT2

Post by ronT2 »

sal wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:35 am
Hey Rob,

That stepped Ti has no curved lines. The entire design is made up of straight lines. Not only is the design unique, the machining is exquisite.

sal
I never noticed that, pretty cool!
My EDC rotation: Kapara, Chaparral CF, Mantra, Sage 1, Sage 5, Dice, Domino, Gayle Bradley 2, PakkaDelica, Native CFF
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

elena86 wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:11 am
With all respect sir but... no, it's not a " smooth arc from the top of the spyderhole " IMO. But... maybe it's just semantics Or maybe I have a distorted perception ... I mean it

With all respect, I see no difference between the arc of the Chaparral's spine and that of the Calypso Jr's or Urban's. I could easily understand, and even agree with, someone who considered the way the Delica's spine abruptly from straight to a small radius curve near the tip to be unattractive. On the other hand, I see no abrupt change of radius at any point between the Chaparral blade's tip and its Spyderhole. So yes, it may just be semantics, or simply differences in what you and I find esthetically pleasing.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
anycal

Post by anycal »

There is a difference, on my CF Chaparral. About 5/8" from the tip, there is hump. If you run your finger over the spine, you can feel the difference of the curvature. It bothers me exactly 0%, but it is there.

It is a cool little knife.
Peter
RobDigi

Post by RobDigi »

sal wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:35 am
Hey Rob,

sal
Yes it is a jewel...
I know you say you are much more concern with function than looks,
and the Chap is all that...
but this stepped Ti blue is so good lookin. ;)
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

anycal wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:12 pm
there is hump.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin