Reality-Check please: Are our VG10 Knives slowly poisoning us?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sumdumguy

Re: Reality-Check please: Are our VG10 Knives slowly poisoning us?

Post by Sumdumguy »

Stuart Ackerman wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:57 pm
Wedding cake is the most dangerous...
I still have nightmares...
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Moving on...

https://youtu.be/VO0x7vL2T90
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

jpm2 wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:20 pm
A few cobalt alloyed blades I have.
vg10, s110v, k390, hap40, rex45, m35, m42, t42, maxamet
This is very encouraging to me to see blade steel made with cobalt.
SpyderEdgeForever

Thank you all for your replies. My conclusion is the following: VG10 and other Cobalt steel alloys are excellent and up there with nitrogen steel alloys. I am so glad Spyderco uses them. I love VG10 stainless steel.
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

I've seen a few in my time but never gone from "we're gonna die" to "she's cool, nothing to see here" so fast.

Thanks for the entertainment! I'll now put my tin foil hat away.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

500Nitro wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:00 am
Who's got San old watch from the 70's/80's with glow in the dark hands.

Don't stick it next to a Geiger counter, some make them tell you it's not good to wear them.

Forgotten what the name of the stuff is.

Glow in the dark paint on watch dials and hands used to be radium based... the radium its self doesn't emit visible light, but excites the phosphor in the paint (modern glow paint needs to be exposed to light, the old stuff was constantly powered by the radium). The conventional wisdom among most watchmakers on handling watches with radium paint in them is to avoid skin contact, but especially avoid breathing the dust, as having any get in your lungs (or other body tissues) could actually cause large enough doses of radiation over time to have serious health risks. Radium paint began to be phased out in the 1950s and the old dials usually don't emit light any more, but are still radioactive. I believe that wearing a radium dial watch (or having it in your home) isn't considered terribly dangerous, but keeping several in a poorly ventilated space may lead to radon gas concentrations that are dangerous.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

This has all been pretty funny. If you knew about all the boxes in my garage with bright colored uranium minerals from abandoned mines in Utah, you would not be worrying about stable cobalt in your knife blades.

I don't know how many of you have a basic knowledge of nuclear physics, but some bell should have rung at the claim of Cobalt-59 transitioning to Cobalt-60. Bumping up the mass of the nucleus is not something that is just "gonna happen" as the knife sits around on your desk. As someone said, you are going to have to stick your knife in a reactor with a bunch of neutrons flying around to have much of that sort of thing going on.

I am glad to see Cobalt in knife blades. Has Larrin written anything about what cobalt does for us? My impression is that it gets used in tool steels for enhanced hot hardness, which is of no consequence for us. It may be "inert" as far as knife blade properties go, but we like the tool steel because of properties contributed by other elements. Or maybe it does improve toughness. It would be interesting to know, and I am sure there are those who do.
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

I think most would have 'rung up the claim' as you say but it's sometimes fun playing.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

500Nitro wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:19 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:25 am
spyderwolf wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:15 am
Of course.It's a conspiracy,and VG10 stands for Venus Government,a top secret organization, based on Venus,who is controlling all cutting tools on Earth.It's composed of 10 members,who are imortals,and breathe cobalt vapors,this is way their ultimate goal is to change Earth's atmosphere,so they can colonize our planet.
Spyderwolf :D You've been listening to "Coast To Coast AM" radio show too much :D While I was in the hospital for 3 days back in May I think I actually heard a show with someone saying they were a representative from the planet VENUS :rolleyes: But it must be one strange dude because I've heard that the surface temperatures on VENUS can be as high as 800 degrees F :eek: No wonder NASA is choosing to go to Mars instead :rolleyes:
That answers it, they chose Venus because it easier to harden the steel with those temperatures.

Spyderwolf :D
Sure,and with one of their days lasting 243 Earth days they need good edge retention,too.By the way,Cobalt is actually the leader of an elite group of elements known as the League of Criminal Transition Metals (L.O.C.T.M),and his organization is in cahoots with VG10.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
Brackish

Post by Brackish »

Doubt it, since they use Cobalt (in the form of Cobalt Chrome) in surgical implants. The thing you need to remember about elements is that their behavior changes completely once they bond with something else. Take sodium and chlorine as perfect examples. Sodium reacts violently with water. If you ate some, it’d likely burn a hole in your throat. Chlorine is a gas. Breathing it in would kill you. Put them together and you get Sodium Chloride, which has been making food delicious since time began. In fact, a complete lack of sodium chloride would kill you.

What you really need to watch out for is Dihydrogen Monoxide. That stuff is everywhere, and it kills people every single day. The worst part is, it’s completely unregulated by world governments. It’s a straight up travesty.
Spydiechef, Dragonfly Salt 2, Native 5 Salt, Native 5 Cruwear, and Q-ball (Newest Addition)
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Brackish wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:13 am

What you really need to watch out for is Dihydrogen Monoxide. That stuff is everywhere, and it kills people every single day. The worst part is, it’s completely unregulated by world governments. It’s a straight up travesty.
Oh yes, forgot about that.

Someone died today of it not far from me.

What's interesting about Dihydrogen Monoxide.
is none - too little can kill you as well as too much !
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

500Nitro wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:21 am

What's interesting about Dihydrogen Monoxide.
is none - too little can kill you as well as too much !
like Salt, Water, Oxygen or maaaany other things :o

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_dose_makes_the_poison
spyderwolf wrote:

Sure,and with one of their days lasting 243 Earth days they need good edge retention,too.By the way,Cobalt is actually the leader of an elite group of elements known as the League of Criminal Transition Metals (L.O.C.T.M),and his organization is in cahoots with VG10.
but having an atmosphere full of Sulfuric Acid, I guess their steel would be in trouble :confused:
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Let's not be hard on SEF. There was an 'expert' on this very forum this year telling us all that in outer space VG10 would become deadly. Sal even engaged him in the discussion, as did many of you. I think what he had to say was a load of barnyard manure, country third bases, and meadow muffins. Still, I think that is where SEF is coming from, trying to get some better answers than the 'expert' gave.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
SpyderEdgeForever

I feel really bad for starting this thread. Sal, I apologize if you felt upset in any way at this. My original intention was simply to "clear the air" on this issue because I have read websites and peoples' claims about cobalt being potentially toxic. The issue has been answered as far as I am concerned by educated people on here.
SpyderEdgeForever

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:44 am
Let's not be hard on SEF. There was an 'expert' on this very forum this year telling us all that in outer space VG10 would become deadly. Sal even engaged him in the discussion, as did many of you. I think what he had to say was a load of barnyard manure, country third bases, and meadow muffins. Still, I think that is where SEF is coming from, trying to get some better answers than the 'expert' gave.
Thank you, Doc. 100 percent correct. Yes.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Everything is potentially toxic- even oxygen- in the wrong dosages.
We experience all kinds of toxic materials daily in solid state with other materials without them migrating into our bodies.
Even if they do migrate into our bodies, In the right dosage a 'toxic' material is actually harmless- or indeed, essential to life.

Example: Selenium.
Don't get enough of it and you'll experience a whole range of unpleasant illnesses
Get too much and you'll experience something similar to arsenic poisoning- up to and including death.

The problem is- frankly- a lot of 'Bold Statements (aka BS)' get written on the internet about 'toxic materials' by quacks, pseudo-scientists and swivel-eyed conspiracy loons.

I'll start worrying about the cobalt in my VG10 pocketknife migrating through my trouser pocket and into my bloodstream....err....well, never.
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
Dingo

Post by Dingo »

I’d eat a lot of tuna, build up my mercury count and give myself an excuse for being a little strange
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:04 am
SEF, I really wish you would stop starting these kinds of radiophobic threads,
SEF is building up a pretty solid reputation for nonsense threads. It’s just what he does.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

zhyla wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:52 pm
RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
SEF is building up a pretty solid reputation for nonsense threads. It’s just what he does.
He's also polite, courteous and good natured. :cool:

I've not known him to be judgemental of anyone. So I pose the question; Who are we to judge him or anyone? :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Bloke wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:15 pm
zhyla wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:52 pm
RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
He's also polite, courteous and good natured. :cool:

I've not known him to be judgemental of anyone. So I pose the question; Who are we to judge him or anyone? :)
Agreed.

Although in fairness, Zhyla merely made an (accurate) observation, not a judgement. And RS made a request (which seemed to be a tongue in cheek reference to his UN).