Opinions on VToku

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
samdasnake

Opinions on VToku

Post by samdasnake »

I have the VToku Dragonfly on preorder but I've heard from others that VToku doesnt hold an edge particularly well. Anyone have any thoughts or experience with this?
cwp

Re: Opinions on VToku

Post by cwp »

There have been several threads on VToku's performance, and the consensus seems to be: extremely tough steel that's great for thin grinds; very easy to put a sharp edge on; but lower edge retention compared to other sprint steels (e.g., HAP40). I'm not sure what other steels I would compare its edge-holding to -- maybe someone who's able to do a one-to-one comparison will chime in.
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

Thanks for the response. Yeah, I really like both the color of the Sprint run dragonfly's frn and the look of the laminated blade. I'm sure that anything Spyderco puts out will be an excellent product.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I've used my Endura a lot since it dropped and enjoyed playing with the new steel, but I won't be lobbying for more of it. The edge retention and the way it cuts just isn't my preference. The REX45 PM2 went on a lot of the same camping trips as the Endura this year, and maybe the awesomeness of REX45 contributed to the disappointment.

If you like tough steels that are easy to sharpen, you might like VToku2. If you like edge holding, VToku2 might fall short. I freaking love that color though! I haven't canceled my DF2 order yet :)
cwp

Post by cwp »

abbazaba wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:31 pm
If you like edge holding, VToku2 might fall short.
How would you characterize its edge holding relative to other blade steels? Would you say it's most comparable to VG-10, or more like 440C, or more like AUS-8, or are none of these steels a really good comparison? I mean specifically in terms of edge retention here, ignoring toughness and corrosion resistance.

I'm not a wear-resistance junkie when it comes to blade steels, but I'm curious where it falls compared to other steels. If it doesn't hold as well as M390, well, no big deal, that's not a deal-killer for me, but if it doesn't hold as well as AUS-8 I'd be somewhat taken aback.
samuraistuart

Post by samuraistuart »

V-Toku 2 really isn't in the same category as either VG10 or 440C. It's overall carbide % is smaller. That is to say it's toughness is high and it's wear resistance is low. However, it is a good all around steel, probably better than AUS8 (which isn't a bad steel). The thing with V-Toku 2, it can be hardened higher than the steels mentioned. It is extremely comparable to Hitachi Blue 2, if that helps. I've used it making knives out of Bill Burke's san mai, roughly 63-64HRC for kitchen knives, and edge retention is excellent in the kitchen environment. It's one of those steels that is very tough, and should be taken advantage of with high hardness and thin edges for light to moderate cutting.
Holland

Post by Holland »

abbazaba wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:31 pm
I've used my Endura a lot since it dropped and enjoyed playing with the new steel, but I won't be lobbying for more of it. The edge retention and the way it cuts just isn't my preference. The REX45 PM2 went on a lot of the same camping trips as the Endura this year, and maybe the awesomeness of REX45 contributed to the disappointment.

If you like tough steels that are easy to sharpen, you might like VToku2. If you like edge holding, VToku2 might fall short. I freaking love that color though! I haven't canceled my DF2 order yet :)
The Dragonfly might be a better knife for vToku compared to the endura based expected uses
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
T_MAC686

Post by T_MAC686 »

I also have the Dragonfly on pre-order and hope to get it soon.. I agree with Holland that this steel sounds like it may be better on a small easy to touch up knife like the Dragonfly
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

National Knives still shows the V-Toku2 Endura sprint in stock. I’ve waffled between that and the Cutlery Shoppe hap40 exclusive. Then I remember I still think fairly well of VG10!
rossco599

Post by rossco599 »

I too am curious about edge retention on the v-toku2 compared to common steels such as 440c, vg10 or s30v. I've read the other threads but ppl only (kind of) compare it to other sprint runs. I hope the Australian YouTube guy does a cut test soon.
DOUBLE D

Post by DOUBLE D »

Any new info on just the wear resistance compared to say vg10?
araneae

Post by araneae »

My vtoku ladybug is an insane laser. It was ground finer than any Ladybug I own and it slices like mad. Love it! I'll be watching for the D'fly.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:45 pm
National Knives still shows the V-Toku2 Endura sprint in stock. I’ve waffled between that and the Cutlery Shoppe hap40 exclusive. Then I remember I still think fairly well of VG10!
Go hap40
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?