Reality-Check please: Are our VG10 Knives slowly poisoning us?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
NoFair

Re: Reality-Check please: Are our VG10 Knives slowly poisoning us?

Post by NoFair »

SF Native wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:38 am
500Nitro wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:00 am
Who's got San old watch from the 70's/80's with glow in the dark hands.

Don't stick it next to a Geiger counter, some make them tell you it's not good to wear them.

Forgotten what the name of the stuff is.
Don’t know, but the Ball watch company uses tritium gas tubes to light their watches. Radioactive and stay lit all night. Cool. Not particularly dangerous.
The beta radiation from tritium doesn't get through the glass tubes (or the watch). Tested it at work several times to show nervous people that it is harmless..
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

Of course.It's a conspiracy,and VG10 stands for Venus Government,a top secret organization, based on Venus,who is controlling all cutting tools on Earth.It's composed of 10 members,who are imortals,and breathe cobalt vapors,this is way their ultimate goal is to change Earth's atmosphere,so they can colonize our planet.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

^Ha ha! Brilliant, spyderwolf! :D
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

spyderwolf wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:15 am
Of course.It's a conspiracy,and VG10 stands for Venus Government,a top secret organization, based on Venus,who is controlling all cutting tools on Earth.It's composed of 10 members,who are imortals,and breathe cobalt vapors,this is way their ultimate goal is to change Earth's atmosphere,so they can colonize our planet.
Spyderwolf :D You've been listening to "Coast To Coast AM" radio show too much :D While I was in the hospital for 3 days back in May I think I actually heard a show with someone saying they were a representative from the planet VENUS :rolleyes: But it must be one strange dude because I've heard that the surface temperatures on VENUS can be as high as 800 degrees F :eek: No wonder NASA is choosing to go to Mars instead :rolleyes:
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

I don't think so,because Mars is already occupied by the M4 people ;)
I didn't knew about that show,but i must give it a try,hope i can found it on-line.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:55 am
SEF you'll get more radiation from one trip to Grand Central Station than using VG10 everyday for the rest of your life.

Or from the smoke detector in your bedroom. Then too, as my English teachers use to point out, there's a major difference between "can" and "will", so just because something can happen does not mean it will. Besides, isn't the cobalt that's in steel actually cobalt carbide rather than metallic cobalt? Would that even be capable of transmuting into Cobalt 60?

Finally, if SEF is really concerned about cobalt in knives, I'd suggest he stay away from the dendritic cobalt ones made by David Boye. One also has to wonder if he even read the Wikipedia entry he linked to in his original post. It clearly says:

There is no natural cobalt 60 in existence; thus, synthetic cobalt 60 is created by bombarding a cobalt 59 target with a slow neutron source. Californium-252, moderated through water, can be used for this purpose, as can the neutron flux in a nuclear reactor.

Now, to me, that means the transmutation can't just happen.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

SEF, am I wrong in understanding you have an engineering degree?

If you are an engineer, I wonder why you don’t just hit the books for the facts, rather than gaslight the forum for its opinions.

Whether intentional or not, gaslighters are ripping American society to pieces.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

People are way too scared of radiation anyway. Unless one gets huge doses there is little evidence of increased mortality or cancer.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

wrdwrght wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:31 am
Whether intentional or not, gaslighters are ripping American society to pieces.
does this mean i have to stop using my zippo now too?!
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:25 am
spyderwolf wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:15 am
Spyderwolf :D You've been listening to "Coast To Coast AM" radio show too much :D While I was in the hospital for 3 days back in May I think I actually heard a show with someone saying they were a representative from the planet VENUS :rolleyes: But it must be one strange dude because I've heard that the surface temperatures on VENUS can be as high as 800 degrees F :eek: No wonder NASA is choosing to go to Mars instead :rolleyes:
That answers it, they chose Venus because it easier to harden the steel with those temperatures.

Spyderwolf :D
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

'Maybe Spyderco can do a special Sprint run of SEF's favourite knife in DU (Depleted Uranium)
so that he can really start a thread with some reality !

If a DU rod liquifies people inside a vehicle (fact), I wonder if somehow some of those properties can be
given to a knife without the excessive speed !

Imagine, A DU knife, someones holy grail that will cut through Coax Cables :D
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:04 am
Reality check from a PhD in radiation health effects: the answer is NO! SEF, I really wish you would stop starting these kinds of radiophobic threads, they are not doing anyone any favors and you are contributing to a paranoia that has existed since the 1940s that simply doesn’t exist. It’s simply been over-hyped by Hollywood and you’ve fallen directly into that trap.

You know what else is radioactive? Bananas and potato chips!! Those have far more measurable activity in them than any Spyderco knife. Going to stop eating those, or eating in general? You get far more exposure from a variety of natural and man-made sources than anything you could possibly get by living in a house of VG-10 and eating it daily. Please stop this nonsense or at least leave it in Off-Topic (a section I rarely visit).
I thank you and others for answering this. I did not start this thread with any bad intention. I love Spyderco and Spyderco knives and VG10 stainless steel. I just wanted to get a "whew what a relief" check from you all on here, after reading these claims about radioactivity. Thank you again for your answer and the answers of others.
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

SEF

'I did not start this thread with any bad intention.'

I say BS

So why did another forum member say stop starting these threads lol

See ya
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

All about the dosage... Tons of things in your everyday life are slightly poisonous/radioactive etc., but you should be fine if you're not exposed to large quantities of it.

Gasoline causes cancer - the few minutes it takes for you to fill your car isn't going to kill you, though working at a gas station all your life may affect your health
Midnightrider

Post by Midnightrider »

I use a Pacific Salt H1 for food prep. I leave any VG10s I have on the counter for work lighting so I can save on electricity ;)
Millies in S110V, CTS-204p, REX 45, PM2/S110v, Native 5/Maxamet, P4/K390, Pacific Salt SE/H1, UK PK
Wants/Wishes (only NIB and EU): Militarys in 52100, Maxamet, Cru-Wear, Manix 2/Maxamet
Yes, Virginia, that's a Purple Haze in my suit pocket :)
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Midnightrider wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:06 pm
I use a Pacific Salt H1 for food prep. I leave any VG10s I have on the counter for work lighting so I can save on electricity ;)
I use glow in the dark soaps !

Maybe I should have some sent to SEF as an Xmas present !
Attachments
IMG_5719.JPG
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

A few cobalt alloyed blades I have.
vg10, s110v, k390, hap40, rex45, m35, m42, t42, maxamet
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

I’m pretty sure a good number of replacement joints for hips and knees most notably use cobalt rich steels-
All we need is for these people to get bitten by a spider then bam!
Lots of nerdy heros
Caustic Dick

Post by Caustic Dick »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:39 pm
I do not want to sound paranoid or sensational, this is a sincere question. Some time back there was a thread on the forum here about VG10 and other cobalt-containing steel alloys for a "space/astronaut" knife, and it was commented that the naturally-occuring isotope of the cobalt atom, cobalt 59, can tramsmute into cobalt-60, a radioactive isotope that emits gamma rays. As you may well know, gamma rays are the most powerful known radioactive rays, more so than x-rays, and gamma rays are very detrimental to biological life.

Now, I love VG10 stainless steel. It is one of my favorites. And Spyderco crafts excellent knives made with VG10 blades.

I need a "reality check" here: Could our VG10 blades transmute into toxic radioactive knives and slowly poison us, or, not?

Read these:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cobalt-60#Applications

https://petpitchusa.wordpress.com/2012/ ... amination/

Now what happened there was that cobalt 60 was improperly disposed of and contaminated the steel bowls and other items. That is different than transmutation but it raises the same basic issue.

I love my Endura, Delica, and other VG10 knives. Does this mean we have to switch to a non-cobalt steel, like H1, or LC200N?
Who gives a ****. There are plenty of other things out there that can kill you.
Don't get bit by your Spyderco........
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

Wedding cake is the most dangerous...