Spyderco Military S110V Blurple is finally here!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tps3443

Spyderco Military S110V Blurple is finally here!

Post by tps3443 »

I bought this Friday, and it is finally here! The holiday slowed delivery up a little. Just figured I’d share my unboxing, and first impressions. After opening the Spyderco Blurple, with my Spyderco Blurple I got it out of the box. Once it was in my hand it felt pretty good! A lot of handle room. The blade opens effortlessly and much much easier, compared to my PM2.

This Military is not a replacement for anything. But, intended to work in tandem with my PM2 or even as a backup. I love the quality, and design it is really a incredible knife, 4” inches is a lot of blade, but it doesn’t feel like to much blade either. I like the jimping better on the PM2, it is much steeper jimping on my PM2. Although it’s steel good on the Military, just not as steep. The Military G10 handle feels thicker, but it is not thicker at all. The Military has chamfered edges around the entire edge of the G10 grips, so it makes it feel thicker. While the PM2 has no rounded edges on the G10 grips. Regardless I think the Spyderco Military is a serious cutting tool, or weapon! You feel very confident gripping up on the jimping, and swinging, or slashing with the Military. The PM2 provides the same great feel, but the blade is much shorter so it doesn’t feel as confident inspiring as the Military does.

I’m not sure which one I would pick, if it could only be one. I love them both. Obviously the edge is sharp on the Military, it looks to be about 34-35 degrees inclusive. I will re-sharpen to 28 degrees inclusive today.

Did I say I love S110V? The color Blurple too!

“My daily razor blade”
Microtech Stitch CTS-204P stonewashed blade
Microtech Dirac Delta CTS-204P Black DLC
^Wicked Edge guided system^
500Nitro

Re: Spyderco Military S110V Blurple is finally here!

Post by 500Nitro »

Looks the goods

I think I'll have to get a military in SE at some point. If one is available/made.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

500Nitro wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:49 pm
Looks the goods

I think I'll have to get a military in SE at some point. If one is available/made.
They're out there but you may have to post a wanted thread on another forum to find one. I found mine used at my local shop, the handle is scratched up a bit but the blade looks never used or sharpened.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

tps3443 wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:41 pm
I bought this Friday, and it is finally here! The holiday slowed delivery up a little. Just figured I’d share my unboxing, and first impressions. After opening the Spyderco Blurple, with my Spyderco Blurple I got it out of the box. Once it was in my hand it felt pretty good! A lot of handle room. The blade opens effortlessly and much much easier, compared to my PM2.

This Military is not a replacement for anything. But, intended to work in tandem with my PM2 or even as a backup. I love the quality, and design it is really a incredible knife, 4” inches is a lot of blade, but it doesn’t feel like to much blade either. I like the jimping better on the PM2, it is much steeper jimping on my PM2. Although it’s steel good on the Military, just not as steep. The Military G10 handle feels thicker, but it is not thicker at all. The Military has chamfered edges around the entire edge of the G10 grips, so it makes it feel thicker. While the PM2 has no rounded edges on the G10 grips. Regardless I think the Spyderco Military is a serious cutting tool, or weapon! You feel very confident gripping up on the jimping, and swinging, or slashing with the Military. The PM2 provides the same great feel, but the blade is much shorter so it doesn’t feel as confident inspiring as the Military does.

I’m not sure which one I would pick, if it could only be one. I love them both. Obviously the edge is sharp on the Military, it looks to be about 34-35 degrees inclusive. I will re-sharpen to 28 degrees inclusive today.

Did I say I love S110V? The color Blurple too!

Congrats, I love the s110v. I've had mine since 2016 and have since reground it, now it's a laser for expert use only.

According to Jim the S110v Military got a slightly better result in his testing. I've been meaning to pick on up one day.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:59 pm
500Nitro wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:49 pm
Looks the goods

They're out there but you may have to post a wanted thread on another forum to find one. I found mine used at my local shop, the handle is scratched up a bit but the blade looks never used or sharpened.
Thanhs

I'll find one, I've got a program that categorises everything on eBay worldwide so easy to search.

It's a down the track priority but would love one with coloured scales like this blurple.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
Rutger

Post by Rutger »

If it were me i would have picked a different steel for a second knife. S110V is nice, but variety is the spice of life.
Deadboxhero wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:02 pm
Congrats, I love the s110v. I've had mine since 2016 and have since reground it, now it's a laser for expert use only.

According to Jim the S110v Military got a slightly better result in his testing. I've been meaning to pick on up one day.
Impressive grind as always. How does that hold up?
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Deadboxhero wrote:
I've had mine since 2016 and have since reground it, now it's a laser for expert use only.

Hey Shawn,

Count your blessings I don't live next door. :p
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
garret

Post by garret »

The military will be my next spyderco, it looks and feels like a serious knife
tps3443

Post by tps3443 »

Yea I really like this knife. I’m reprofiling it right now though. It was about 17.5DPS from the factory. I brought it down to 15DPS so far, I wasn’t that impressed with the tip either. So on the Wicked Edge it went!

I paid $149 for this knife. It was brand new for sure! I feel like I got a great deal. On a mint knife. There’s not a scratch, or mark on it. And was still factory sharp.

I’m getting it sharper, and a little leaner!

“My daily razor blade”
tps3443

Post by tps3443 »

Rutger wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:51 pm
If it were me i would have picked a different steel for a second knife. S110V is nice, but variety is the spice of life.
Deadboxhero wrote:

I like S110V pretty well. It is crazy rust resistant, very hard at about 63HRC, and it holds a edge forever! It’s the one steel that you could neglect the edge and use the knife with a great working edge for a long long while. Not to mention, If I do my part with sharpening correctly it will hold a shaving edge for an extended time period.

The only other steels I’m interested in right now, are probably Maxmet, or CTS204P, 4V, and REX45.

But, for now S110V does everything I need it to but cut steel.
“My daily razor blade”
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

tps3443 wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:46 pm

And it even does that sometimes. ;)
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Rutger

Post by Rutger »

tps3443 wrote:
I like S110V pretty well. It is crazy rust resistant, very hard at about 63HRC, and it holds a edge forever! It’s the one steel that you could neglect the edge and use the knife with a great working edge for a long long while. Not to mention, If I do my part with sharpening correctly it will hold a shaving edge for an extended time period.

The only other steels I’m interested in right now, are probably Maxmet, or CTS204P, 4V, and REX45.

When i started looking at higher quality knives i was somewhat like you that i wanted the best highest wear resistant steels like S110V. But now that i am more experienced and know what i like i look more at the total balance of the steel. I like my knife to be super sharp instead of the working edge that S110V goes to so fast. So i'd rather sharpen my knife more often and have a lower carbide steel with a bit more toughness, good hardness and easy to sharpen. Most premium steels have plenty wear resistance so i look for other attributes in a steel. Nonetheless S110V is great stuff for the work you do.

I have the millie in 204P and that steel is really nice if you want stainless. It has a bit better toughness than S110V and stays sharp plenty long enough. And it takes a really nice polished edge. It's the knife i can neglect, throw in a bag, jacket, car and not maintain for a long time.
But if you don't need stainless there is more performance to be had in the tool steels. And REX45 is really nice at the high HRC Spyderco runs it at. It's the only steel i have multiple knives in. Bought a REX45 PM2 and i loved it so much i had to get a backup, so i now have 2 of them. Then i also bought the REX45 Para 3 and now i have the Military coming in the mail too. :D

And i'm excited to try out Cruwear that i got in today. Should stay super sharp longer than most steels. On my wish list still K390 and Vanax. I doubt REX121 will ever happen.
tps3443

Post by tps3443 »

Rutger wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:48 pm
tps3443 wrote:

When i started looking at higher quality knives i was somewhat like you that i wanted the best highest wear resistant steels like S110V. But now that i am more experienced and know what i like i look more at the total balance of the steel. I like my knife to be super sharp instead of the working edge that S110V goes to so fast. So i'd rather sharpen my knife more often and have a lower carbide steel with a bit more toughness, good hardness and easy to sharpen. Most premium steels have plenty wear resistance so i look for other attributes in a steel. Nonetheless S110V is great stuff for the work you do.

I have the millie in 204P and that steel is really nice if you want stainless. It has a bit better toughness than S110V and stays sharp plenty long enough. And it takes a really nice polished edge. It's the knife i can neglect, throw in a bag, jacket, car and not maintain for a long time.
But if you don't need stainless there is more performance to be had in the tool steels. And REX45 is really nice at the high HRC Spyderco runs it at. It's the only steel i have multiple knives in. Bought a REX45 PM2 and i loved it so much i had to get a backup, so i now have 2 of them. Then i also bought the REX45 Para 3 and now i have the Military coming in the mail too. :D

And i'm excited to try out Cruwear that i got in today. Should stay super sharp longer than most steels. On my wish list still K390 and Vanax. I doubt REX121 will ever happen.
I really wanted the Rex 45 Military, or anything in rex45 honestly. But I’m worried I’ll rust it out. It is very humid in NC. I’m picky about my edges being shaving sharp all the time, so I still sharpen S110V frequently; about every other day with strops.

I guess because I’m use to using a guided system with diamonds I don’t mind how difficult a steel is to sharpen. any knife seems particularly fast to obtain a sharp edge.

Anyways. That’s a lot of Rex 45 knives you got there. Should be fun to have the whole lineup in the same steel
“My daily razor blade”
glutofknives

Post by glutofknives »

I would say go for the Rex 45 military. I have been able to keep my 52100 pivot clean just by using a bit of ballistol every now and then. I live in humid GA.
Rutger

Post by Rutger »

glutofknives wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:12 pm
I would say go for the Rex 45 military. I have been able to keep my 52100 pivot clean just by using a bit of ballistol every now and then. I live in humid GA.
I got ballistol too, good stuff. Also works on G10, wood and is food safe!
glutofknives

Post by glutofknives »

It makes pivots sooo smooth too.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

About to emerge from my financial, medical nightmare I'm now plagued with another dilemma :rolleyes: Now I'm extremely torn between this blurple 110V and the Rex 45 Military model. Actually I would like to have both of them but that's not going to happen soon I'm afraid. I do have the Para2 in S110V and I've been impressed. Really I would like to find another M390 as a serious back up to the love of my knife life.

I have a feeling that in the next 3 years we're going to see some really awesome Para2 and C-36 Military models come down the product pipeline. But in some ways this is truly a form of torture for me. No I'm not going to start buying lottery tickets either :rolleyes: But it is sort of tempting with the outstanding new blades we have available.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Rutger wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:51 pm
Deadboxhero wrote:

That must be the thinnest regrind I’ve seen in a long time. Very impressive. For “expert use” indeed, a chip would be catastrophic.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi