First Spyderco. Efficient?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bourget117

First Spyderco. Efficient?

Post by Bourget117 »

Hi everyone. New here and came across this forum shopping around for my first decent knife. I’ve always liked the look of a Spyderco. So when researching, I decided I wanted a Tenacious. Looked nice and price was Wright. Of coarse after looking some more I came across what I think is the best looking and best features Spyderco. The Para 2. I was ready to buy, but thought It is a lot of money. At least to me. It’s big. I don’t know anything about sharpening and don’t want to ruin it. So I looked around some more and came across the Efficient. Good size. Not too big or small. My hands are on the large side. It looks cool. Has some great features and the price is right. So am I making a good choice if I go with this? Or are the Tenacious or Para 2 or even the Para 3 better choices or do I upgrade to one of those later on?
curlyhairedboy

Re: First Spyderco. Efficient?

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Hi there!

The efficient should be a good model to start with. If you have larger hands, a later upgrade to the Para 2 might suit you well. That knife feels GREAT in the hand.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

I've never handled an Efficient so I'm not much help there but I can highly recommend spending the extra $ on a PM2 or Para 3.

I own several of both and actually prefer the Para 3 as it's a little smaller and carries better for me as an EDC knife. I'd also look into a Delica, as it's one of my favorite Spydercos and very affordable. Whatever you choose, I think you'll be happy.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Welcome to the forum Bourget117.

You really couldn't go wrong with any of those models. I would just buy the one that appeals to you the most.

I will say though, as with most things in life, you get what you pay for. I know $100 to $150 can seem like an awful lot for a knife but I don't think you'd be disappointed. :)
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Welcome! What will you be using your new knife for?

Can't go wrong with any of the ones you listed!
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Bourget117

Post by Bourget117 »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:00 am

Not really sure specifically what I’d be using it for. Pretty much anything I guess. Not sure as to what size would be comfortable or practical without having different ones in my hand or pocket to try out first. There really aren’t any places where I can see one in person so I’m stuck with taking a chance buying online.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Bourget117 wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:58 am
legOFwhat? wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:00 am

Not really sure specifically what I’d be using it for. Pretty much anything I guess. Not sure as to what size would be comfortable or practical without having different ones in my hand or pocket to try out first. There really aren’t any places where I can see one in person so I’m stuck with taking a chance buying online.
I'm with you I don't really have any duties that require me to cut stuff but since getting bitten by the Spyderco bug I find things just to use use the knife. There are many very helpful and intelligent folks here who can answer any question you may have. Good luck with your purchase!
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
cbrstar

Post by cbrstar »

It's a bit of a conundrum. I think the efficient is a really cool looking knife, and you will have enough left over to buy a decent sharpening system you can learn to use.

On the other hand the PM2 comes with a big steel upgrade and the very cool compression lock.

You won't go wrong with either choices.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I say just go straight to the PM2. As all of us here know, you'll get the Efficient and like it. You'll read more threads here on the forum, see more pics of various PM2 's you'd be interested in, and end up buying one. Inevitably kicking the Efficient out of your pocket for the superior model. It's a vicious cycle!! Welcome aboard!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Bourget117

Post by Bourget117 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:01 pm
I say just go straight to the PM2. As all of us here know, you'll get the Efficient and like it. You'll read more threads here on the forum, see more pics of various PM2 's you'd be interested in, and end up buying one. Inevitably kicking the Efficient out of your pocket for the superior model. It's a vicious cycle!! Welcome aboard!
Ugh. That is what I was afraid of.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Bourget,

Welcome to our forum.

When one first becomes interested in Spyderco, the "eye" drives decisions. As one becomes more involved, the "eye" has less influence and "Function" (performance, ergos, safety) begins to carry more weight. I think the Tenacious or Delica are a good choice for a first Spyderco. It will give you a closer look at what we do. Then if you like what you see, time here on the forum and other models open the door to a larger room. The more you learn about design, steel, geometry, history, etc. the more the "brain" is used and the "eye" less.

sal
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Welcome.
I would try to pick up a polestar or alcyone and a sharpmaker to start on the sharpening learning curve.
This gets you the BD1 steel, which is a little better than that other stuff.
JohnNYPD

Post by JohnNYPD »

I have both the Delica 4 & Tenacious.
For a first EDC knife you can’t go wrong
with either.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Hi.

Don’t spend so much that you don’t want to use it, would be my advice.

My 1st Spyderco was a Delica. I still carry it every working day, despite having spent more on many “better” knives. You may never want more.
garret

Post by garret »

Possibly the efficient do any work you need, but if you can it I recommend PM2. My first spyderco was a cricket and it covers almost all my needs. But then came manix, civilian, dodo ... The spider has bitten you it's too late. regards .
Bourget117

Post by Bourget117 »

sal wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:11 pm
Hi Bourget,

Welcome to our forum.

When one first becomes interested in Spyderco, the "eye" drives decisions. As one becomes more involved, the "eye" has less influence and "Function" (performance, ergos, safety) begins to carry more weight. I think the Tenacious or Delica are a good choice for a first Spyderco. It will give you a closer look at what we do. Then if you like what you see, time here on the forum and other models open the door to a larger room. The more you learn about design, steel, geometry, history, etc. the more the "brain" is used and the "eye" less.

sal
This is what I was afraid of. Right now my “eye” likes them all.
araneae

Post by araneae »

The efficient is a good size for an all-around knife. I like mine and feel it might be a more people friendly design than the Tenacious. Both are great designs though. A delica is also a great first Spydie, there is a reason many of us that have "too many" knives still carry Delicas frequently.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Bourget117

Post by Bourget117 »

araneae wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:36 pm
The efficient is a good size for an all-around knife. I like mine and feel it might be a more people friendly design than the Tenacious. Both are great designs though. A delica is also a great first Spydie, there is a reason many of us that have "too many" knives still carry Delicas frequently.
I was thinking the same about the Tenacious. That it could look a little big and scary to some people. Maybe the Efficient would work better for EDC and certain places and the PM2 I could get later on for use in other places.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Lots of great advice so far!
But I'm going to muddy the waters a bit... There are two U.S. Made models that deserve a serious look as first Spydies; On the larger side there is the Manix 2 LW and for a smaller option the Native 5 LW. The base Manix has two color options and the wire clip, the Native a "better" steel and a four position clip, both are great, tough knives that come in under $100. If you can find a seller who still has N5LWs in S35VN I'd suggest it over S30V, as IMO it's a bit easier to sharpen.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

The Efficient is an absolutely rock-solid edc, but this can be said about all Spyderco knives. Buy what your budget will support, based on your needs/size requirements, and do so knowing that you're investing in a quality piece. I will say, the thing about Spyderco.. one leads to another..
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..