Police 4 Observations

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
anycal

Re: Police 4 Observations

Post by anycal »

Vivi, I think you are personally responsible for selling a few of these Police 4 ;)
Peter
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

Mine took a fall today, took it like a champ. Corner of G10 is marred, lil dent in the liner. But that's it. Hurts, but the seen worse off knives brand new, just a little character.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

OK. The box showed up today. I have had a Police 4 in my hands for the first time ever. I set it in on the table next to a Military, as well as a Resilience. We will ignore the Reslience just to keep things simple. These are all first impressions based on just a few minutes fooling around.

The Police 4 is like a Military on a serious diet.

Side by side and folded up, they are essentially the same size, but the Police is definitely slimmer and sleeker. It should be nicer to carry, not that I have had any issues with carrying the Military. And for people like me who grumble about wanting tip up carry, you have all the options with the Police.

So, what took me so long?

As far as opening, I find the Military more "intuitive" -- it just falls in my hand and my thumb goes to the hole. But this is pretty subtle and may just be habit and muscle memory. Like any backlock knife, there is more friction and it doesn't fly open like the Military.

The lockup is solid, with a good crisp click as the knife locks open. Absolutely no play (would Sal settle for anything less?). It is a 4.5 inch blade as compared to 4.2 inches on the Military. The Police uses thinner blade stock. It is a big knife, but given that I am used to the Military, the Police really does not seem any bigger. It is not the Monster I thought it would be. It feels different in hand. The Military gives more to grab onto. The Police is slimmer and smoother, but by no means insecure. The Police has more metal in the handle, and you can feel that - the balance moves back to the hand and handle. Nothing bad about this to my mind, this is just one of those things that will have to see how it settles in for me over time.

And you can't ignore the K390 blade steel. It is pretty amazing that this steel is being used as the standard steel in a production knife rather than being available only in a sprint or exclusive.

So, in conclusion - it is a spectacular knife and I don't know why I waited so long. I had been thinking it was a monster that would become an albatross purchase that I would regret. I have been carrying a Military routinely, and I think this will be even more agreeable to carry. I'll have more to say after I have carried and used the knife some.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:08 pm
I set it in on the table next to a Military, as well as a Resilience.
i'd love to see a pic of this if you can. :)
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

ladybug93 wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:45 pm
Tucson Tom wrote:
I set it in on the table next to a Military, as well as a Resilience.
i'd love to see a pic of this if you can. :)
I can, but I am heading to bed now, and have to head out early for all day tomorrow. But I'll try to remember and do this. Bug me if it doesn't show up.

The quick substitute is this -- these three knives look amazingly the same, especially in overall size, if you ignore details of shape, lumps and bumps.
CanaBrit

Post by CanaBrit »

Tucson Tom wrote:

So, in conclusion - it is a spectacular knife and I don't know why I waited so long.
I've been carrying one for a month or so now, it grows on you the more you use it. So far the only thing I don't like is the pocket clip, the black 'paint?' comes off really fast. Other than that, its pretty much perfect.

The best pocket clip I have came on the Caribbean, kind of a grey bare finish. I think if you upgrade the clip to whatever the Caribbean has (or the Vollotton has a nice clip too), then you'd have an almost perfect tool.

But yes, its an amazing knife!
tps3443

Post by tps3443 »

Wanimator wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:18 pm
Mine took a fall today, took it like a champ. Corner of G10 is marred, lil dent in the liner. But that's it. Hurts, but the seen worse off knives brand new, just a little character.
Dropping a new knife on concrete is unfortunately painful to me lol But, once the G10 chip, or mark starts to wear, it really just blends in with the rest of the knife and all looks great again!
“My daily razor blade”
Microtech Stitch CTS-204P stonewashed blade
Microtech Dirac Delta CTS-204P Black DLC
^Wicked Edge guided system^
tps3443

Post by tps3443 »

Tucson Tom wrote:
OK. The box showed up today. I have had a Police 4 in my hands for the first time ever. I set it in on the table next to a Military, as well as a Resilience. We will ignore the Reslience just to keep things simple. These are all first impressions based on just a few minutes fooling around.

The Police 4 is like a Military on a serious diet.

Side by side and folded up, they are essentially the same size, but the Police is definitely slimmer and sleeker. It should be nicer to carry, not that I have had any issues with carrying the Military. And for people like me who grumble about wanting tip up carry, you have all the options with the Police.

So, what took me so long?

As far as opening, I find the Military more "intuitive" -- it just falls in my hand and my thumb goes to the hole. But this is pretty subtle and may just be habit and muscle memory. Like any backlock knife, there is more friction and it doesn't fly open like the Military.

The lockup is solid, with a good crisp click as the knife locks open. Absolutely no play (would Sal settle for anything less?). It is a 4.5 inch blade as compared to 4.2 inches on the Military. The Police uses thinner blade stock. It is a big knife, but given that I am used to the Military, the Police really does not seem any bigger. It is not the Monster I thought it would be. It feels different in hand. The Military gives more to grab onto. The Police is slimmer and smoother, but by no means insecure. The Police has more metal in the handle, and you can feel that - the balance moves back to the hand and handle. Nothing bad about this to my mind, this is just one of those things that will have to see how it settles in for me over time.

And you can't ignore the K390 blade steel. It is pretty amazing that this steel is being used as the standard steel in a production knife rather than being available only in a sprint or exclusive.

So, in conclusion - it is a spectacular knife and I don't know why I waited so long. I had been thinking it was a monster that would become an albatross purchase that I would regret. I have been carrying a Military routinely, and I think this will be even more agreeable to carry. I'll have more to say after I have carried and used the knife some.

That’s a a great description. I owned a Resilience and I just didn’t like it.. the blade shape was like a spatula, and probably the worst tip ever. Now, I primarily carry a PM2 and I love it. My Military S110 will be here tomorrow, or the next day. I’ve never handled a Military in person at all. How does the Military size feel vs the Resilience?

I use to like the Tenacious, and Resilience. But, after I got my first “Golden USA” a PM2 Blurple I gave the others away and just lost all interest in them. I’m sure I won’t be disappointed with the Military in Blurple. But just wanted to hear your thoughts.
“My daily razor blade”
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

tps3443 wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:24 pm
My Military S110 will be here tomorrow, or the next day. I’ve never handled a Military in person at all. How does the Military size feel vs the Resilience?
Well, you will be able to answer this for yourself then before you read this reply perhaps.

I am here playing with them trying to decide what to say. The resilience is wider due to the "spatula blade shape" as you describe it. The military is more refined and to me feels more natural in hand.

Nothing wrong with the Resilience though, or the Tenacious. They are both great knives. You have to realize what you are getting. A nicely done liner lock knife at a great price, with steel that is nothing special, but pretty darn good honestly and more than adequate.

Of the two, I prefer the Tenacious. It is a great knife to give someone as a gift who has only ever owned trashy knives -- it will change their world view. I have one to carry in places and situations where loosing it is a definite possibility. My resliience has become my "car knife" that just lives in my vehicle as a sort of insurance towards always having a good sized knife handy should need arise.

I carried the Police all day today while hiking. Never noticed it was there in the pocket of my blue jeans. And it went with me to a meeting tonight also. No need arose to take it out of my pocket during the meeting (as you might expect), but it was handy for several trivial things while hiking. I like it more all the time.
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

tps3443 wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:18 pm
Wanimator wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:18 pm
Dropping a new knife on concrete is unfortunately painful to me lol But, once the G10 chip, or mark starts to wear, it really just blends in with the rest of the knife and all looks great again!
The tiny tiny nick in the well finished liners is what bothered most. Honestly, it's unnoticeable. Not like the warranty or anything else was even affected.
tps3443

Post by tps3443 »

Anyone with a Spyderco Police 4 please post pictures of your blades Patina. I’m very interested in this. My 4th Spyderco will be here hopefully today. The Police 4 may just be my 5th. Seeing Vivi’s photos were just incredible!
“My daily razor blade”
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

Finally ordered my Police 4 last night! I was originally planning on waiting for the frn version so I could try the pattern for less money, but the more I looked at it and thought about it, I anticipated it becoming my main knife, and black g10 is where I want to be.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

tps3443 wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:52 am
Anyone with a Spyderco Police 4 please post pictures of your blades Patina. I’m very interested in this. My 4th Spyderco will be here hopefully today. The Police 4 may just be my 5th. Seeing Vivi’s photos were just incredible!
You may have already seen these, but mine took a natural patina right away. The coarser than usual grind lines make it harder to wipe clean than some others... Not sure there is another knife I enjoy cutting with as much as the P4!

Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

abbazaba wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:20 am
tps3443 wrote:
You may have already seen these, but mine took a natural patina right away. The coarser than usual grind lines make it harder to wipe clean than some others... Not sure there is another knife I enjoy cutting with as much as the P4!

It's glorious!
anycal

Post by anycal »

Who am I to deny someone's request for a picture. Also an older one,

Peter
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

tps3443 wrote:
Justin
vivi

Post by vivi »

Awesome photo!

My P4 is going back in my pocket tomorrow, along with a Spyderhawk assuming the mail is on time :)
:unicorn
vivi

Post by vivi »

The edge holding of K390 is really impressing me, both in how easily it sharpens while having superb edge retention.

Since reprofiling the knife, I've only touched it up once on my medium bench stone. Only three or four strokes per side, aiming for a 15 degree micro bevel.

Made that video, took it with me on four other camping trips, sliced over 1000' of cardboard, sliced up some of those green scouring pads (They're very hard on knife edges), lots of food prep and more.

Still shaves.

I can see why Sal chose this steel. It makes a very nice blade for a pocket knife. Might not be a full time carry come next summer, but I have my Pacific Salts for that.
:unicorn
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Vivi wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:42 pm
The edge holding of K390 is really impressing me, both in how easily it sharpens while having superb edge retention.

Since reprofiling the knife, I've only touched it up once on my medium bench stone. Only three or four strokes per side, aiming for a 15 degree micro bevel.

Made that video, took it with me on four other camping trips, sliced over 1000' of cardboard, sliced up some of those green scouring pads (They're very hard on knife edges), lots of food prep and more.

Still shaves.

I can see why Sal chose this steel. It makes a very nice blade for a pocket knife. Might not be a full time carry come next summer, but I have my Pacific Salts for that.

That is impressive.

Curious, what edge angle/ grit finish did you reprofile it to?
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

I want this knife so bad. Ugh. Living on the water is a double edged sword. I'm fine with a patina, but k390 being more rust prone than 10V means mine would need CONSTANT maintenance. Even cruwear rusts far too much for me to use near saltwater.

I still might get one in a few months.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?