Who would like a traditional slip-joint Spyderco?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Would you like a Spyderco traditional design slip-joint knife?

Poll ended at Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:18 am

Yes
26%
No
74%

Total votes: 53

ChrisinHove

Re: Who would like a traditional slip-joint Spyderco?

Post by ChrisinHove »

A qualified “no” from me. A larger One Eyed Jack style, or another Spydification of a trad knife, perhaps yes. A traditional lagouile style? Dang, yes!
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I am certainly not a knife historian. My “knowledge” of classic American pocket knives stems from the 40s and 50s when most men I knew or saw always had some kind of usually multi-blade knife. Bone and wooden scales were the norm and they were usually smaller knives, probably 2.5” to 3” for the bigger blade.

I had a few of these growing up. Carried mine everywhere even school. Different times indeed.

For me, most of the current crop of knife companies like, but not limited to, CRKT, Kershaw, Gerber, etc. are all on the technological train. Flippers, ball bearings, field strip designs, swooping “tactical” blades and handles, expensive metals and steels are ubiquitous. Even a promising design like Voxnaes’ Pilar is crippled by inferior materials and construction. Spyderco is one of the very few innovators who have escaped this trend.

I buy Spydercos in preference to the other current technological knives today, for reasons constantly enumerated here. But, in addition, I am also drawn to hand-made pocket knives produced with high quality and attention to detail, especially those that harken back to my youth.

I don’t think it would be a good business decision for Spyderco to enter that market but again, I don’t believe Sal, Eric and Gail are in it just for the money. The One Eyed Jack is a fine example of that.

So, those are my rambling thoughts on why I’d like to see an American traditional slip joint with a bug in the blade.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

VashHash wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:25 am
I'd like to see spyderco bring back the original jess horn. That was a spyderco traditional. Unfortunately I think everything is required to have the round hole now.

The Persian and Kris were "semi traditional" with the bolsters. I too carry GEC knives from time to time but I wish they worked with better steels. My "traditional" edc lately has been the case/Bose coke bottle swing guard. It's ffg ATS-34 and it has a "mid lock" by some other name. I can open and close it one handed and it rides in a leather belt sheath. Has that nice look but modern materials and functionality.
Would love for them to bring back the original jess horn or something similar.

I saw on Instagram Rheinhold made his version of a Lanny's Clip. Would be excellent if Spyderco picked that up
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
vivi

Post by vivi »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:51 am
A qualified “no” from me. A larger One Eyed Jack style, or another Spydification of a trad knife, perhaps yes. A traditional lagouile style? Dang, yes!
They already did that :)

Definitely one of the more obscure Spydies.
:unicorn
vivi

Post by vivi »

MichaelScott wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:55 am
I am certainly not a knife historian. My “knowledge” of classic American pocket knives stems from the 40s and 50s when most men I knew or saw always had some kind of usually multi-blade knife. Bone and wooden scales were the norm and they were usually smaller knives, probably 2.5” to 3” for the bigger blade.

I had a few of these growing up. Carried mine everywhere even school. Different times indeed.

For me, most of the current crop of knife companies like, but not limited to, CRKT, Kershaw, Gerber, etc. are all on the technological train. Flippers, ball bearings, field strip designs, swooping “tactical” blades and handles, expensive metals and steels are ubiquitous. Even a promising design like Voxnaes’ Pilar is crippled by inferior materials and construction. Spyderco is one of the very few innovators who have escaped this trend.

I buy Spydercos in preference to the other current technological knives today, for reasons constantly enumerated here. But, in addition, I am also drawn to hand-made pocket knives produced with high quality and attention to detail, especially those that harken back to my youth.

I don’t think it would be a good business decision for Spyderco to enter that market but again, I don’t believe Sal, Eric and Gail are in it just for the money. The One Eyed Jack is a fine example of that.

So, those are my rambling thoughts on why I’d like to see an American traditional slip joint with a bug in the blade.
Michael,

Do you have any traditional slipjoints currently in your collection that you use? If so I'd love to see them.
:unicorn
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I have a Great Eastern Cutlery Buffalo Jack with OD green micarta scales in the mail. Don’t have any old traditional slip joints. Wish I had one from my youth still.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

The pearl half congress I posted was more your "Sunday go to meeting" kind of knife, but here's something that's a bit more of an everyday user:
saddlehorn.jpg
kernelpanic

Post by kernelpanic »

I voted no, there are pleanty of traditional slipjoints out there using modern materials.
What I like about Spyderco is there modern take on design, ergonomics and materials along with good engineering. I don’t care how they look as long as they perform well :)
Kev
RobDigi

Post by RobDigi »

Yes..
I think it would be a bold move for Spyderco but thats what they always been about...
bold moves in the blade industry.
The Crk Mnandi and now the Impinda has shown the beauty and function that can be achieved with traditional style knives,
using modern materials and design.
It would be a shame if Spyderco didn't produce a new high quality
knife design in this spirit.
SharpieB

Post by SharpieB »

No interest. I like my Case traditionals and don’t need a Spyderco version. I have 20 Spydercos and look to them for modern folders.

Also, the UKPN, Roadie and Urban are kinda cool IMO. Good steels, great looks and don’t need nail nicks and bone IMO.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Spyderco is the anti traditional, even in their more traditional knives

Closest I can think of would be a one hand opening trapper style/sodbuster style, or maybe a dyad style
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Not me. With all respect to those who do, I want to see that Caly 3.5 with FRN grip get put into production.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Vivi wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:55 pm
ChrisinHove wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:51 am
They already did that :)

Definitely one of the more obscure Spydies.
I know, I know ... it haunts my dreams.
(Not really, but it IS lovely!)