Is your interest in sharpening on the same level as your interest in knives?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Are you as interested in sharpening knives as you are collecting them?

No, I prefer to let someone else sharpen my knives (Shipping back to the maker or similar)
3%
No, I sharpen out of pure necessity like putting air in my car tires, not out of any particular interest
25%
Yes, I love sharpening knives with a guided system and seeing how sharp I can get them
26%
Yes, I love sharpening knives free hand and seeing how sharp I can get them
34%
Other
12%

Total votes: 154

vivi

Is your interest in sharpening on the same level as your interest in knives?

Post by vivi »

When I first got into quality pocket knives, I immediately wanted to know how to sharpen them.

I remember trying out my kitchen steel on my Delica 4 saber grind and not being happy with the results. So one day I told myself, "I am going to learn how to do this," and set about reading all the information I could on knife sharpening. I bought some different sharpening supplies to try out...everything from a ceramic kitchen steel, to a strop, to DMT diamond plates.

It took a while to sift through the information and find what works and what doesn't. There's a lot of bad info out there on knife sharpening.

It took a bit to get a feel for it and develop a steady hand, but before too long I was putting sharp edges on all matter of knives.

From there I read Cliff Stamp's writings, which led me to the world of reprofiling for more efficient slicing ability.

In the end, sharpening is as much of a hobby to me as knife collecting is. To me, a knife isn't "mine" until I've removed the factory edge and put my own on. Just like I wouldn't buy a pair of shoes from a store and keep the lace tension exactly as they came from the factory...I customize it to my own foot.

Over the last decade, I've noticed, surprisingly to me, a large amount of people do not share my fascination with sharpening, despite being into quality cutlery. Of the ones who do, less than half seem interested in free hand sharpening in particular.

In fact, I find it's very rare to see photos of knives posted on knife forums that don't have the factory edge on them. I'm not talking about the knives having not been reprofiled either...but the edge bevel clearly still has the same marks it did when it came from the factory.

So, I'd like to make a poll to see where the numbers fall.
:unicorn
Mom3ntuM

Re: Is your interest in sharpening on the same level as your interest in knives?

Post by Mom3ntuM »

I do enjoy sharpening my knives, and i'm not satisfied with any blade until i can slice a freehanging neewspapersheet without snags or rippingsounds. I use the edge pro apex4 and i strop with flexcut gold stropping compound.
I used to freehand sharpen but i had to strop A LOT to get the desired edge so i switched to a guided system. Guess im not Good at freehand.
i have a few unsharpened blades, but that's because They have never been used, i rarely use a blade before I've sharpened it myself.
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
James Dean
Woodpuppy

Re: Is your interest in sharpening on the same level as your interest in knives?

Post by Woodpuppy »

Crud I need an undo button... I picked option two before I saw “other”. I do get satisfaction out of success and a job well done. But it’s still a chore I guess. I use the sharpmaker almost exclusively though I learned on bench stones.
toocool006

Post by toocool006 »

I put down other - so far I haven't gotten into sharpening the way I have gotten into appreciating knives for their design and production. I would very much like to get into sharpening, but I think (maybe this is all in my head?) there is a much higher barrier to entry for really getting into sharpening vs. researching and trying out different models. Certainly the time commitment is different (or maybe the laziness quotient is different :-p). Thanks for the compelling question Vivi, and here's hoping it inspires me to get off my butt and start really working this sharpmaker that's currently just sitting in a drawer...
~andrew
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

I had to vote, "other." I learned to sharpen freehand more than half a century ago and still enjoy being able to put a good edge on my knife this way. And, like the OP, I don't really feel that a knife is mine until I've put my edge on it. However, I can't say that I see sharpening as anything more than basic knife maintenance.

I also find it "interesting" how many knives posted in pocket dump and EDC threads clearly still have the original factory/maker's edge and not a single mark to indicate the knife has ever been used.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

dsvirsky wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:56 pm
I also find it "interesting" how many knives posted in pocket dump and EDC threads clearly still have the original factory/maker's edge and not a single mark to indicate the knife has ever been used.
That’s what we need, a beater picture thread. I’d have to dig up a Benchmade for that, my current crop of spydies are all too new to show heavy use. No factory bevels on my users though!
sir_mike

Post by sir_mike »

I don't love it but I don't have it either! I guess I may be more into it if I actually used my knives more than I do now. Since they don't see alot of use, they don't see alot of sharpening either but I do have a few options for sharpening here, both guided and free hand setups.
Mom3ntuM

Post by Mom3ntuM »

Beater thread would be COOL,, here is evidence that i sharpen my knives 😋
Beater tenacious Vs brand New backup tenacious..
I've probably sharpened the beater a 100 times or more, does'nt hold an edge very Good (8cr13mov)but is easy and fast to sharpen, just what i need for work as the edge gets damaged no matter what steel is used.
1542244014116397.jpg
Last edited by Mom3ntuM on Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James Dean
Mom3ntuM

Post by Mom3ntuM »

1542244014298239.jpg
Attachments
1542244013906232.jpg
James Dean
PStone

Post by PStone »

I voted option 4. I’m fairly new to freehand, and think that may play a role in why it is so much fun for me right now. Though I can see why some of the veteran free handlers may see it as a chore.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Took years and years to learn to sharpen freehand well. I can do a mean edge now. Not bragging at all. I’m a cook. I should know how to get a knife to cut a ripe tomato.

Anyway, I really dislike sharpening a lot, though am very thankful to know how and have the tools. I really hate getting a new knife with a 20° or shallower edge angle. Then I have to redo it if I want to be able to enjoy it at all.

A coworker bugged me to sharpen her 12” chef knife. Ugh. I did it, and sure enough, she cut herself. What I’m saying is, I can, but would rather not.
- best wishes, Jazz.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I just recently bought my first guided system (Hapstone V7) so I voted option 3.

However I also sharpen freehand, did for years and I enjoyed it. There's something about freehanding that is more satisfying. It's a good skill to have and it takes a lot of practice.
That said, I am looking forward to being able to get a more consistent edge with the Hapstone. Maybe down the road, I'll invest in some good diamond or CBN bench stones and get back into freehand, but for now I'm happy with the Hapstone.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

I appreciate fine tools and know the importance of maintenance to get the most out of them, but I see sharpening as a chore that needs to be done to make the knife as effective a tool as possible. I do not have a lot of patience or time for it, so I used a sharpmaker when that is sufficient, or a guided system when I have to.
I really like mountain biking, but I do not enjoy cleaning the bike or maintenance. Those are necessary investments to get the most enjoyment out of riding.
In both cases, I want to be able to do the work myself, to make sure it gets done well. If I had a great knife that stayed sharp with no work or a bike that was a great ride with no maintenance (and I could afford such magic), that is what I would have!
vivi

Post by vivi »

Mom3ntuM wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:16 pm
Beater thread would be COOL,, here is evidence that i sharpen my knives 😋
Beater tenacious Vs brand New backup tenacious..
I've probably sharpened the beater a 100 times or more, does'nt hold an edge very Good (8cr13mov)but is easy and fast to sharpen, just what i need for work as the edge gets damaged no matter what steel is used.
1542244013906232.jpg
Those pictures are awesome. Someone should start a beater thread in the photo gallery.
vivi

Post by vivi »

DirtMcGirt wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:18 pm
I voted option 4. I’m fairly new to freehand, and think that may play a role in why it is so much fun for me right now. Though I can see why some of the veteran free handlers may see it as a chore.
I think the reason why it stays interesting to me vs the example I used in the poll (putting air in tires) is that I view it as a skill. Even if I've sharpened a knife 100 times, it still takes some degree of skill to do it right the 101st time.
knolan

Post by knolan »

For my 2 cents, guided systems gives the end user "repeatabilty" assuring consistently apexed edges across a number of knives. Repeatability and consistency is big in the world of engineers.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I love sharpening. I've had guided systems, and the sharpmaker for a while, I think next year I'm finally going to invest in some quality stones for free hand sharpening. Probably CBN water stones of some type. Haven't decided yet.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I send many of my knives to Josh at Razor Edge Knives to sharpen. There is zero chance I could even begin to match his skill, and I basically don’t have enough time to sharpen knives (or learn to sharpen properly) in my life right now. :rolleyes: Maybe someday...
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Yes, i find sharpening my knives to be very calming and stress relieving. I’ve just recently taken back up sharpening free hand and put my sharpmaker up for a rest. It’s very satisfying to get a knife scary sharp.
Josh
SharpieB

Post by SharpieB »

I can’t stand sharpening. I have a Sharpmaker and a few other inexpensive sharpeners but only use them when absolutely necessary.