Models That Absolutely DESERVE Sprint Runs

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bdubs808

Re: Models That Absolutely DESERVE Sprint Runs

Post by Bdubs808 »

Another vote for a Centofante 3/4 Sprint. G10 and ZDP189 or HAP40 sounds excellent.

Also, full size Calypso would be nice too.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Dodo in s90v or s110v, you are crazy.
How are you going to sharpen it?
You are not using a guided system. You are only going to use a sharpmaker and most people will get frustrated with that slow process on that tiny s blade. Try something more easily sharpened. 52100, bd1n, lc200n, xhp... anything else.
joeldworkin307

Post by joeldworkin307 »

I'm going to echo the call for a C22 Walker Sprint and suggest a few options in order of preference:
Smooth G10, CPM154 or BD1N (or 20CV if you must, but I prefer an easier to sharpen steel), made in Golden
Pakkawood or Aluminum, Hap40, made in Japan
Titanium, S90V, made in Taichung
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Bdubs808 wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:34 am
Another vote for a Centofante 3/4 Sprint. G10 and ZDP189 or HAP40 sounds excellent.

Also, full size Calypso would be nice too.
Yes!!! Absolutely!! A full sized, C-54 Calypso model!!! Yes and Amen!!! I could put a hallelujah!!! in there too :cool: But there are two factors we must address>> #1 we need it in a new blade steel this go-around. No more VG-10 let's move on to something better. #2 we also need that bad boy in SE & PE both. Most people here at Spyderville at this time never got the privilege of using a Spyderedged, C-54 Calypso. Truly one of the better Spyderedged units ever made IMO.

But the C-54 Calypso needs to return to show all the new folks what an awesome model it was and still could be :cool:
arty

Post by arty »

I would like to see a Rookie in CF, perhaps G10CF laminate. An upgrade to ZDP189 or a HAP40 laminated steel would be great.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Thanks to a fellow Forumite, I now have a long-wanted C54 Calypso sprint. What a wonderfully proportioned knife.

The original Calypso was Spyderco’s first foray into VG10.

I’d like a sprint of the original Micarta handles (unlined or not) in uncladded and PE HAP40.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Holland

Post by Holland »

K390 rookie would be awesome.

I would like a worker sprint in superblue or hap40 as well, but judging on how poorly the last worker run went, I doubt we will get a worker sprint anytime soon
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

wrdwrght wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:32 am
Thanks to a fellow Forumite, I now have a long-wanted C54 Calypso sprint. What a wonderfully proportioned knife.

The original Calypso was Spyderco’s first foray into VG10.

I’d like a sprint of the original Micarta handles (unlined or not) in uncladded and PE HAP40.
Thanks for putting that testimony up "wrdwrght" because most of the people that have joined up in the past 5 years or less have no idea how awesome of a design that original big C-54 Calypso model is. It's still in my all time JD's Top 10 and probably will be for some time. Again I was super amazed at how the C-54 Calypso and C-60 Ayoob models were in Spyderedge>> those two were the best I remember.

Yeah a Sprint Run of the C-54 is probably the top one as it stands for a Sprint Run. But most definitely in a newer/better blade steel and hopefully the original Micarta handle :cool:
Blade and Flame

Post by Blade and Flame »

Appler wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:16 pm
C22 Walker, titanium scales (like on the ti Lum Chinese Folder), tip up carry, Super Blue. Count me in.
I am IN for this. Would love a more stainless steel, but to be honest, a Ti C22 of any flavor has my attention.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Blade and Flame wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:52 pm
Appler wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:16 pm
C22 Walker, titanium scales (like on the ti Lum Chinese Folder), tip up carry, Super Blue. Count me in.
I am IN for this. Would love a more stainless steel, but to be honest, a Ti C22 of any flavor has my attention.
Now that's an interesting idea!! I never thought about a Titanium handle on a C-22 Walker collaboration model. That truly would make it a very interesting Sprint Run to say the least.

As far as I know I believe that the C-22 Walker might have been Spyderco's first Carbon Fiber handle. And the collaborator Klotzli has some of the most beautiful CF handles in the entire knife world IMO. If Klotzli had more models with newer/better blade steels I would own more of them.

Now I'm sort of wondering what a Dodo model would be like with a titanium handle and S110V blade steel :cool:
embry386

Post by embry386 »

Start with the ATS-55 version of the Rescue. Upgrade the blade steel to VG-10, give it a black DLC coating to match the black FRN handle, and add an inch of plain edge to the tip like that blue version of the Rescue that came out later.

Also make versions of this in full plainedge and full serrated. And a version with gray FRN. Gray handles on knives always look super gorgeous, classy, and understated, especially with DLC blades. That one Manix that was floating around with that color combo is the prettiest colored knife I've ever seen.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Despite the recent brown G-10 sprint's lackluster sales pace, I think that a linerless G-10 version of the C54 Calypso needs a revival. This comes after numerous pleas by forum members and AFIs alike for the Caly Jr return. I am hoping that the pending FRN Caly 3.5 could get us one step closer to seeing the beautifully contoured G-10 handle and elegant swedge become a sprint run. I don't even really have a steel preference. Anything coming out of Japan now is good stuff. Though.... solid Superblue or HAP40 would be stupendous.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

xceptnl wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:57 pm
Despite the recent brown G-10 sprint's lackluster sales pace, I think that a linerless G-10 version of the C54 Calypso needs a revival. This comes after numerous pleas by forum members and AFIs alike for the Caly Jr return. I am hoping that the pending FRN Caly 3.5 could get us one step closer to seeing the beautifully contoured G-10 handle and elegant swedge become a sprint run. I don't even really have a steel preference. Anything coming out of Japan now is good stuff. Though.... solid Superblue or HAP40 would be stupendous.
Orange G10, Hap40 Calypso? I'd definitely buy.
I really enjoyed Hap40 on the Chinese Folder.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

embry386 wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:43 pm
Start with the ATS-55 version of the Rescue. Upgrade the blade steel to VG-10, give it a black DLC coating to match the black FRN handle, and add an inch of plain edge to the tip like that blue version of the Rescue that came out later.

Also make versions of this in full plainedge and full serrated. And a version with gray FRN. Gray handles on knives always look super gorgeous, classy, and understated, especially with DLC blades. That one Manix that was floating around with that color combo is the prettiest colored knife I've ever seen.
Yeah that stainless handled version of the ATS-55 RESCUE model is truly one of Spyderco's very best utility knives they ever made IMO. All of those recommendations you made sound good to me. I kind of like the idea of the DLC black coating the more I think about it. It's funny because I never saw a stainless RESCUE in a plain edge and I believe I remember asking DEACON if he had a plain edged version of that model and I don't think he did from what I can remember.

Also in the ATS-55 era was the G-10 Harpy>> I don't think they ever had a plain edged version of that great model either to my knowledge. But to have a tweaked, doctored version of the ATS-55 Stainless RESCUE>> I'll be one of the first in line I can assure you.
embry386

Post by embry386 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:17 pm
embry386 wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:43 pm

Yeah that stainless handled version of the ATS-55 RESCUE model is truly one of Spyderco's very best utility knives they ever made IMO. All of those recommendations you made sound good to me. I kind of like the idea of the DLC black coating the more I think about it. It's funny because I never saw a stainless RESCUE in a plain edge and I believe I remember asking DEACON if he had a plain edged version of that model and I don't think he did from what I can remember.

Also in the ATS-55 era was the G-10 Harpy>> I don't think they ever had a plain edged version of that great model either to my knowledge. But to have a tweaked, doctored version of the ATS-55 Stainless RESCUE>> I'll be one of the first in line I can assure you.
I'm more of an FRN person, but yes, this model is truly one of the best knives I've ever handled :) I enjoy it very much. After thinking more about a theoretical Sprint of it, if I could only have one version then my final choice would be: gray FRN, DLC blade and hardware, mostly serrated except for an inch at the tip of plain edge. Maybe upgrade the steel even further from VG-10 to S35VN, it seems to do alright with serrations. I'd prefer it to have the gray handle instead of the black, because gray can be dyed black if I end up wanting that color later, but black cannot be dyed gray. But I'd buy pretty much any Sprint of this model, it's awesome :spyder:

That's too bad that they didn't make your stainless model in a plain edge :( I guess you could turn a serrated one into a plain one with some grinding away at the blade, but you'd have to take off a heck of a lot of steel and that'd be a shame. They did make the FRN version in plain edge, I think, and I've been searching eBay occasionally for one, but my knife fund has negative 20 dollars in it right now, so I haven't been doing much searching lately.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Civilian- in H1 with DLC coating and a deep carry clip.....

think about it: carry it inside your waistband all day and never worry about it rusting no matter how sweaty you get :)
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

demoncase wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:24 am
Civilian- in H1 with DLC coating and a deep carry clip.....

think about it: carry it inside your waistband all day and never worry about it rusting no matter how sweaty you get :)
For one of Spyderco's premier self defense knives my pick is the Matriarch. The Civi is just a tad bit big for my hand but the Matriarch is perfect. However I've never had VG-10 ever pose much of a rust problem. But sure if you can pull it off and get support for that type of a Sprint Run I too would like a Matriarch in LC200N.
BadFish

Post by BadFish »

I’m gonna go with a model I hardly hear brought up. The impala

Man what I wouldn’t give to have an updated impala I live mine I’m sure I’m the only one tho lol
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

BadFish wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:45 am
I’m gonna go with a model I hardly hear brought up. The impala

Man what I wouldn’t give to have an updated impala I live mine I’m sure I’m the only one tho lol
I've said at least 20 times on the Forum that the Ed Scott "IMPALA" model should have a Sprint Run. I wish I would have kept at least one of my IMPALA models. It was one of the very few Hunter/folders that even had a gut-hook that I liked>> However not all the Impala models had a Gut-hook. If my memory is good I believe that there were 4 variants of the Impala model. CE with Gut-Hook, PE with Gut-Hook, complete PE blade, and a CE blade both without guthooks. The Impala never came in a full Spyderedge and I'm pretty certain of that.

But I would love a Sprint Run IMPALA with a newer/better blade steel :cool:
Tedy

Post by Tedy »

ROOKIE