Sal's Casual Bombshell Thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
abbazaba

Re: Sal's Casual Bombshell Thread

Post by abbazaba »

attila wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:22 am
Abbazaba, is that what you meant?

Yup. You can also see the location change of the pivot, and the slightly different blade shape behind the jimping. These changes were presumably made to fit the bolt action lock mechanism, which didn't quite fit the original Sage handle design. I'm assuming a CBBL would have similar challenges.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Well, if there *has* to be a FRN and a CBBL Sage, might as well combine it into the same model, that way i get the, for me least attractive lock and least attractive handle in one knife. :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:58 am
...and least attractive handle...
Yup. Don't get me wrong, I really like my Sage 2. But there was a moment where the new knife joy started to fade. I realized that the knife really isn't all that pretty. In fact, I think the knife looks better closed than open. Holding it is a different matter. I can get all four fingers on the handle with room to spare. I've yet to find a grip that is uncomfortable. To me, the Sage line is more of a knife to hold and use. So FRN doesn't bother me too much because I know the decrease in weight will feel good in hand. But yeah, it won't be a looker.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

I like everything about my sage 5 but the way it looks.

#1. After sharpening it is a real slicer.
#2. Weight and blade geometry
#3.Compression Lock
#4. Wire Clip (great on a small knife.)

What I do not like is the CF polished and shiney looking. In fact I do not care for Carbon Fiber at all. I have it in a few other knives and it looks dingy with use.

G-10 is my favorite and it is taking a bit of time to warm up to FRN because of blade play up and down minor but present in my Pacific Salt.
sal

Post by sal »

p_atrick wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:52 pm
Larry_Mott wrote:
I realized that the knife really isn't all that pretty. In fact, I think the knife looks better closed than open. Holding it is a different matter. I can get all four fingers on the handle with room to spare. I've yet to find a grip that is uncomfortable. To me, the Sage line is more of a knife to hold and use. So FRN doesn't bother me too much because I know the decrease in weight will feel good in hand. But yeah, it won't be a looker.
Hi P_atrick,

All of my designs are to hold and use. I'v added some novelty in some of my designs, like the "Q". Sometimes I'll try to add an attractive handle like on the Chaparral. But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of "deigning in the dark". That's why we have outside collaborations. Also Eric is better than I am about designing attractive models. He's just a better artist than I am.

sal
sinnyc

Post by sinnyc »

sal wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:01 pm
...But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of "deigning in the dark"...

sal
Yep. I'd rather have an aesthetically neutral tool that feels like a part of me and works like a demon than one that looks gorgeous but doesn't work as well or feel as good while I'm working with it.

Function over form every time. And to me, a fully functional tool/mechanism/device is inherently beautiful, regardless of its looks.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Sal: All power to you, and i know your philosophy. I own a fair number of Spydies and i really appreciate the diversity, even if my posts here might indicate the opposite :)
I guess it may be in my mind i see certain Spyderco "families" in a certain way, like the Kopas - "suit/dress knives", Delica/Endura - work horses i would trust my life on, and the Sages as a bit dressy with "classy" materials, hence a FRN Sage would kinda stick out..
I'm also no fan of the CBBL which reminds me of a Glock trigger (I might have been unlucky with the specimens i have handled) but my D'Allara and Poliwog are so much smoother.
Anyway, i am one man with one opinion, and there are loads of knives in the Spyderco portfolio to keep me happy!
On a side note i can't get my head around how the Manix back lock didn't sell well enough(?) I read daily about people lamenting the demise of the first gen Manix.. Go figure.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
embry386

Post by embry386 »

sal wrote:
p_atrick wrote:
Larry_Mott wrote:
I realized that the knife really isn't all that pretty. In fact, I think the knife looks better closed than open. Holding it is a different matter. I can get all four fingers on the handle with room to spare. I've yet to find a grip that is uncomfortable. To me, the Sage line is more of a knife to hold and use. So FRN doesn't bother me too much because I know the decrease in weight will feel good in hand. But yeah, it won't be a looker.
Hi P_atrick,

All of my designs are to hold and use. I'v added some novelty in some of my designs, like the "Q". Sometimes I'll try to add an attractive handle like on the Chaparral. But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of "deigning in the dark". That's why we have outside collaborations. Also Eric is better than I am about designing attractive models. He's just a better artist than I am.

sal
Generally, I think the FRN versions of any particular model are the prettiest. :spyder: They tend to have that kind of rugged, worker-industrial-tough-reliable vibe, and that really attracts me to a knife. Sometimes a unique handle material can add to the beauty, but usually I look at the shape and colors of the knife first, and the handle material doesn't register as strongly (if at all). And even in the rare cases where I think the different handle material is prettier than the FRN, it doesn't go with my everyday work clothes at all, and it makes me more likely to skip buying it and just admire photos of it online.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and my eyes enjoy the FRN :)
fixall

Post by fixall »

My pretty knives sit in a case. Not because I'm worried about damaging them... But because a lot of them aren't great users.

My Spydercos get USED... And the more I use them and find out what amazing tools they are, the more beautiful they seem to me.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Larry,

It's really hard to guess the Spyderco market. We have so many different kinds of customers and so much variety that it's a regular conversation as to what the customer / and which customer/ will like what? :confused:

sal
Doeswhateveraspidercan

sal wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:44 pm
Hi Larry,

It's really hard to guess the Spyderco market. We have so many different kinds of customers and so much variety that it's a regular conversation as to what the customer / and which customer/ will like what? :confused:

sal
True enough but I maintain not offering the serrations is missing a market. Correct me if I am (wrong which I likely am) but would it not be both possible and profitable to sell serrated and partly serrated on a special order basis?

If you would say to me ok We will take your order for a Partly or fully serrated Military in M390 or Elmax even and the price is lets say $250.00 I would say yes sir may I purchase two of these please?

If not then to heck with the more expensive super steels (which I love your knives in) S30 or S35Vn would still satisfy many, myself included.

Would this not work? I mean honestly I purchased two forum knives for 2018 in S90V even though I own multiple Pm2's in different steels and that has to be an even bigger gamble to manufacture with those beautiful custom scales.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi WhataSpidercan,

I'll put in your request. Keep in mind that many of our collaborators don't want serrated versions or they would have asked for them. Also, "special orders" do not work well for a production house. Tooling and set-ups are not cost effective for "custom orders" for us.

sal
Doeswhateveraspidercan

sal wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:14 pm
Hi WhataSpidercan,

I'll put in your request. Keep in mind that many of our collaborators don't want serrated versions or they would have asked for them. Also, "special orders" do not work well for a production house. Tooling and set-ups are not cost effective for "custom orders" for us.

sal
Wow really?! thanks Sal that is really cool of you.

Well you certainly know it all better than I ever will.

By the way I want to take this opportunity to tell you how very impressed I am with you and your family and how you started from nothing and worked hard to make this great comapany and my favorite knives. I really respect you and am honored to even get such a nice reply.
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx much for the kind words. America makes it possible. We try to be a good model for others.

sal
Doeswhateveraspidercan

sal wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:26 pm
Thanx much for the kind words. America makes it possible. We try to be a good model for others.

sal
You and yours are the modern example of the American dream made reality. Thank you so very much.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

sal wrote:
p_atrick wrote:
Larry_Mott wrote:
Hi P_atrick,

sal

Don't say that . For me you are the supreme artist in knife designing Sal. Most of your designs are art works not just high performance tools. The Dragonfly2 is your masterpiece IMHO. Nothing can beat that Sir :spyder:
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Holland

Post by Holland »

elena86 wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:59 pm
sal wrote:
p_atrick wrote:
Larry_Mott wrote:
Hi P_atrick,

sal

Don't say that . For me you are the supreme artist in knife designing Sal. Most of your designs are art works not just high performance tools. The Dragonfly2 is your masterpiece IMHO. Nothing can beat that Sir :spyder:
I'm with you on the dragonfly. I have tried what feels like endless small knives and I always come back to the dragonfly.

If it is ever discontinued i will purchase 10+ backups (i wish i was exaggerating)
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx Marius, Spencer,

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then. In fact the word that forumites have coined to describe the way Spyderco knives look is "fugly".

sal
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

sal wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:10 pm
Thanx Marius, Spencer,

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then. In fact the word that forumites have coined to describe the way Spyderco knives look is "fugly".

sal
I wouldn't call them fugly. I'd call a lot of them functionally aesthetic. Maybe functionally stuck? I dont think people would like those two words shortened into one.

For real though,
The Kapara looks really good. I bet it feels just as nice. The Brouwer, the province, and the respect all look phenomenal, too. Whoever says spyderco knives are fugly doesn't know what feeling good looks like.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

how about ergofugtional?
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C