Para 3 versus Police 4

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Re: Para 3 versus Police 4

Post by vivi »

Wolfy916 wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:35 pm
Nice Pic, i had to cut an apple up at the MN state fair this year and used my PM2, it did the job but was just 1/2 inch or so too short. I've never had someone have any type of reaction when I pulled out my knife to cut something. At least around here there is enough of a knife culture that people don't really freak out over a knife.
That's been my experience too. Probably helps that every state I've lived in has no blade length laws. Where I live these days it's more unusual to see someone without a pocket clip than with one.
:unicorn
Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:00 pm
Some people might say this is kind of an unnatural comparison, but hear me out.

I just received my first Para 3 -- the recent Cruwear exclusive with smooth G10. I have the big brother, the PM2 Cruwear with smooth black G10 and it has become one of my favorite knives. But handling my first Para 3, I find myself ill at ease. The knife is just small and feels small in hand to me. I am wishing that I had kicked in an extra $50 and bought the Police 4 I keep putting off instead. You never know until you try these things. I'll have to give the knife some time and see if it grows on me, but I am almost thinking that for a knife of that size, I prefer the Native 5. Every time I open the Para 3, I find myself wishing I was holding a PM2. It is like pulling the trigger on a pistol and having a flag pop out that says "Bang!". I know people love the Para 3, and it is all about personal preferences and expectations I guess.

I have been eyeing the Police 4 for some time, but the constant flood of Sprints and Exclusives keeps draining my knife budget. But maybe I should grab the Police 4 before it goes on the discontinued list like the Backlock Manix I was so fond of. The K390 steel is a strong positive attribute. I was (and still am) very fond of the PM A11 Mule, and K390 is more or less the same stuff with some tweaks that should make it even better. The Police 4 is unusual in that it is a regular production knife in a non-stainless steel. Lately my most carried knife seems to be the CF/Ti Military in S90V, so clearly I like bigger knives.

So, given that it is the first week of the month and my budget is refreshed, maybe I should just place an order for a Police 4. It might be wise before the holiday season puts another drain on my budget. Perhaps that would help erase some of the disappointment in the little Para 3 I just received.
I'm with you on wanting the Police 4! I've had it in my cart at multiple online retailers many times over the last few months (especially after I watched Mike Christys video). But some other blade always draws my attention away!

When I first started collecting about this time last year I was drawn to large knives. ZT 0804CF and 0909, Rat model 1, CS Recon 1, titanium military, etc. I thought (because I have XL sized hands ) that larger handled knives with 4 inch blades were a must for daily task/work. I gradually realized (for myself ) that most cutting work could be performed with a 2 3/4 - 3 inch knife that weighed 3.5 ounces or less. After I bought the Benchmade Bugout. ..I realized how effective small lightweight knives were. Then I saw the Para 3 and have bought just about every variation since! It just works for everything I need to cut (except in the kitchen) and is comfortable in hand. Perfect EDC IMHO.

I'll still end up with a Police 4 though. ... :cool:
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Crux, WOW!
rgrad80

Post by rgrad80 »

The FRN Police is on my top 5 list for 2019.
Days without buying a Spyderco: 35

You always have a choice.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Extra330SC wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:47 pm
I'm with you on wanting the Police 4! I've had it in my cart at multiple online retailers many times over the last few months (especially after I watched Mike Christys video).
Yes indeed -- so I just finished and hit the "submit order" button, so one should be on its way from Utah tomorrow.

I was hoping more people would dogpile on this thread and tell me to just "buy the doggone thing". But I appreciate you all holding back and letting me make this decision without all of that pressure.

And I do have the greatest respect for the Para 3, even though it doesn't hit my sweet spot. Funny how the Native 5 does, in the same size range. Anyway as someone said, not being nuts about the Para 3 is saving me a lot of money, so I can do things like buy a Police 4.

You know the current Police model sort of strikes me like a sprint run even though it is a regular production model, given the K390 steel. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it isn't available in that configuration long term, which is one of my reasons for grabbing one. I'll be interested to see how solid the lockup is given that some people have griped about it. My standards for backlock knives are the now discontinued Manix and the Native 5, which I understand have reengineered mechanisms. Those are very solid knives.
Crux

Post by Crux »

I've been a collector of all things since I could even remember. The sad thing is that I always thought my kids would want it as I always wanted to inherit my Dad's collections.

Times have changed. :( My daughter is an outdoor nut, a zoo worker, and she at least raided my camping stuff. My son is starting to have a slight interest in knives, but my wife is determined to die before me so we won't have to deal with my "stuff". That is pretty dang depressing.

If they don't shape up then I'll just leave all my knives to this forum to be distributed or melted in a kiln. Dang kids these days.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
vivi

Post by vivi »

I held off on ordering a Police 4 for a while, and I regret it.

I thought I wouldn't like it as much as the Police 3 until it was offered in a more corrosion resistant steel, but for fall EDC K390 has worked flawlessly.

Everything else about it I knew I'd like. The larger opening hole feels a lot better whenopening and closing the knife. The redesigned ergonomics are superior for me in every grip. The blade shape makes the knife more versatile, while the more negative angle makes it cut with less effort.

I thought the Police 3 was the epitome of folding knives for a long time. I never understood how little attention it got compared to the Military, Endura etc. I still don't. Glad the P4 is getting more love.
:unicorn
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Crux, it's just the way things go. Stuff my dad had that I had no interest in, I'd give anything for it now. Just stick around for a while. They'll come around.