Para 3 versus Police 4

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Tucson Tom

Para 3 versus Police 4

Post by Tucson Tom »

Some people might say this is kind of an unnatural comparison, but hear me out.

I just received my first Para 3 -- the recent Cruwear exclusive with smooth G10. I have the big brother, the PM2 Cruwear with smooth black G10 and it has become one of my favorite knives. But handling my first Para 3, I find myself ill at ease. The knife is just small and feels small in hand to me. I am wishing that I had kicked in an extra $50 and bought the Police 4 I keep putting off instead. You never know until you try these things. I'll have to give the knife some time and see if it grows on me, but I am almost thinking that for a knife of that size, I prefer the Native 5. Every time I open the Para 3, I find myself wishing I was holding a PM2. It is like pulling the trigger on a pistol and having a flag pop out that says "Bang!". I know people love the Para 3, and it is all about personal preferences and expectations I guess.

I have been eyeing the Police 4 for some time, but the constant flood of Sprints and Exclusives keeps draining my knife budget. But maybe I should grab the Police 4 before it goes on the discontinued list like the Backlock Manix I was so fond of. The K390 steel is a strong positive attribute. I was (and still am) very fond of the PM A11 Mule, and K390 is more or less the same stuff with some tweaks that should make it even better. The Police 4 is unusual in that it is a regular production knife in a non-stainless steel. Lately my most carried knife seems to be the CF/Ti Military in S90V, so clearly I like bigger knives.

So, given that it is the first week of the month and my budget is refreshed, maybe I should just place an order for a Police 4. It might be wise before the holiday season puts another drain on my budget. Perhaps that would help erase some of the disappointment in the little Para 3 I just received.
ferider

Re: Para 3 versus Police 4

Post by ferider »

My Para 3 have clips removed and Titanium scales. Then they go in the same pocket with the car keys, for the few days that I actually drive a car and not a bike (for which the keys are in the bike leather jacket). The P4 deserves a dedicated pocket or a sheath and is used when I don't scare people. Go buy one already :)
CanaBrit

Post by CanaBrit »

The P4 is surprisingly easy to carry, if you carry a military then the P4 is less noticeable in the pocket. Its actually my EDC now, which is surprising. If you like the look of it, and you like blades that size, go for it! I don't think you'll be disappointed.

It may be because its new, but the P4 is my favorite now.
Wolfy916

Post by Wolfy916 »

I don't own either but I have handled several Police models over the years. I like looking for sprints or exclusives for models I don't own. I am eyeing the Para 3 upcoming from cutlery shoppe, anyone know if there is anything in the works for the police model? I really like the police and the military doesn't work for me (lefty), I would love to see a police sprint run of some kind.
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Maybe you can return the Para3 to the vendor if it's still like new in box. He would probably be happy to sell you the more expensive Police4 instead.

I've saved a lot of money passing on Jade G-10 and any Para3's.

I really like the Police4 and I'll buy the FRN version.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Haha, no idea why someone would buy a Para 3 over a Police 4.

When I hold a Para 2 I think "I wish this was bigger."

When I hold a Para 3 I think "Why?"

Different strokes I guess.

I don't get overbuilt knives in general....but overbuilt knives with 2-3" blades really don't make sense to me. I'd take something thing like a Chaparall if I were going to carry a too small knife.

K390 takes a killer edge....

I cannot figure out why the Para 3 is almost 1mm thicker at the spine than a knife with another 1.5" of blade.
:unicorn
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Vivi wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:57 pm

When I hold a Para 3 I think "Why?"

Different strokes I guess.
I am starting to realize that you and I think a lot alike. I carry the PM2 a lot, and I guess it is like having muscle memory. When I open the para3, it feels the same and I expect to have the PM2 in my hand when I am done and then I am thinking, "wha? what is this" for a fraction of a second.

I guess I am bashing the Para 3, but I'm not really trying to -- just expressing my realization that it is not the knife for me. On the other hand, I realize that for 93 percent of what I do with a knife, it is entirely adequate -- and a nicely made tool at that.
vivi

Post by vivi »

A lot of my EDC fixed blades have the same cutting edge length, so I know I could get by with that amount of cutting edge.

But people don't usually make folders with a "full sized" handle and a 2.5-3" blade. Fixed blades it's another story.

I like the Police blade length for food prep and a couple other specific things, but 2.5-3" offers a lot more control for a lot of EDC tasks.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

The police is a big knife in the hand, but a much smaller knife in the pocket. It's really easy to carry for it's size.

Plus, as the only K390 in regular production, it's an amazing steel choice.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:21 pm
I guess I am bashing the Para 3, but I'm not really trying to -- just expressing my realization that it is not the knife for me. On the other hand, I realize that for 93 percent of what I do with a knife, it is entirely adequate -- and a nicely made tool at that.
Just in case you missed it...check PM? :D
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
vivi

Post by vivi »

TomAiello wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:08 am
The police is a big knife in the hand

Debatable :D :p
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Vivi wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:36 am
A handshake must be like grabbing a hand full of bananas :p
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:05 am
Vivi wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:36 am
A handshake must be like grabbing a hand full of bananas :p
Catcher’s mitt. That palm *gasp!*
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I had a similar reaction, and not loving the Para3 has actually saved me a lot of money :)

The Police4 will not disappoint.

Rutger

Post by Rutger »

Vivi wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:57 pm
I cannot figure out why the Para 3 is almost 1mm thicker at the spine than a knife with another 1.5" of blade.
I love the Para 3, but i would love it even more if it had a thinner blade. And with the Kapara Spyderco has shown that a compression lock model can be done with a thinner blade. Same thickness as the Police has. If it were me they would make all blades thinner like that. I also think the Shaman doesn't have to be as thick as it is.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

All I can add is, if you really want thw Police 4, you should get it. You'll get others, and still want it. Been there, done that. We probably all have with something we really wanted.
Crux

Post by Crux »

The Para 3 is legal in more states so it's a good EDC. Also it's not so big it draws attention if you open it at a restaurant. I also carry a ZDP-189 Endura, which is longer than the PM2, for rough jobs. I guess if all you want is the same size knife then that's cool, but there are reasons for different size knives. I take it you don't cook much?
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
vivi

Post by vivi »

Crux wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:50 pm
The Para 3 is legal in more states so it's a good EDC. Also it's not so big it draws attention if you open it at a restaurant.
:D

Wolfy916

Post by Wolfy916 »

Nice Pic, i had to cut an apple up at the MN state fair this year and used my PM2, it did the job but was just 1/2 inch or so too short. I've never had someone have any type of reaction when I pulled out my knife to cut something. At least around here there is enough of a knife culture that people don't really freak out over a knife.
Crux

Post by Crux »

I wish I did. No, I've seen people get alarmed and it's a sad thing. The fact that I always carry a pistol means I tend to not want to draw any attention. As for cutting an apple, I could show you how to do that with a cigarette so I'm sure you managed. I've been collecting knives for about 50 years and I have them in all shapes and sizes. Here's an old picture pre-Spyderco which is actually missing around 150+ fixed knives.
Attachments
Sharp objects1.jpg
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek: