Hey Ed. Whatchathink?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Larry_Mott

Re: Hey Ed. Whatchathink?

Post by Larry_Mott »

I dunno, to me it's more:

than:

:)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:12 am
Also, if it's a folder, no more linerlocks. Thanks!
Would a Compression or Back Lock be suitable for a Spyderco version of that knife?
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:19 am
Sumdumguy wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:12 am
Also, if it's a folder, no more linerlocks. Thanks!
Would a Compression or Back Lock be suitable for a Spyderco version of that knife?
Compression would be ideal, backlock would be perfectly fine too.

Liner locks need to go the way of the dinosaurs :P
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

Power lock please
levs18

Post by levs18 »

Framelock just like the tuff would be awesome.
kvdo

Post by kvdo »

I'd also like to see it with a Power Lock.

It's a neat lock that I'd like to see more of, and at the moment it's only offered in the Chinook 4 (with the Tatanka being discontinued)
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

I definitely want to see more of the Powerlock. I don't know if it's compatible with Shemmpp and Spyderco's process though.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The Hmong people have suffered a lot under the communists. In Vietnam a Christian pastor was beaten to death by the police in 2013 and also another Christian pastor was denied medical care for a life threatening ailment. Originally, I think these people were from China, where the government tried to exterminate them. They have had a lot of issues with this is Laos, Vietnam, and China.

They were recruited, along with the Montenards/Degar people by the USA to fight the communists in Vietnam and Laos. It would be a good thing to make a knife in honor of these people.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I'm a fan of the comp lock for folders, but this is a fascinating design!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Ed Schempp

Post by Ed Schempp »

Many of the design attributes would translate to a folder, it would be interesting to try.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:04 pm
The Hmong people have suffered a lot under the communists. In Vietnam a Christian pastor was beaten to death by the police in 2013 and also another Christian pastor was denied medical care for a life threatening ailment. Originally, I think these people were from China, where the government tried to exterminate them. They have had a lot of issues with this is Laos, Vietnam, and China.

They were recruited, along with the Montenards/Degar people by the USA to fight the communists in Vietnam and Laos. It would be a good thing to make a knife in honor of these people.
I never heard of these people. A little wiki search indicates they fought the Japanese in wwii also. Their oral history seems to go back to 4,000 bc. So, not really a new group of people.

Glad Ed saw this. I’m sure he could come up with something drool worthy.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Why does this need to be a folder? Why not a nice fixed blade?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Nice, I'd love to see what Ed comes up with!
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 3-11-2024 Instagram
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

SF Native wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:37 pm
Doc Dan wrote:

I never heard of these people. A little wiki search indicates they fought the Japanese in wwii also. Their oral history seems to go back to 4,000 bc. So, not really a new group of people.

Clint Eastwood made a movie with a Hmong community called Gran Torino
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

5-by-5 wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:12 am
SF Native wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:37 pm
Doc Dan wrote:

Clint Eastwood made a movie with a Hmong community called Gran Torino
I loved this movie. I laughed so hard when he was accepted by them and all of the little aunties were bringing him food and hovering over him. HaHaha!. Any man who has been to Southeast Asia or who has married someone from there will immediately resonate with that scene. Great people and customs.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JD Spydo

Re: Hey Ed. Whatchatink?

Post by JD Spydo »

Bloke wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:40 pm
Hey BLOKE!!! Don't make fun of John Elway like that :D Because Mr. Glesser is probably a Denver Broncos fan :rolleyes:

Yeah "A Day Without Laughter" :rolleyes: By the way BLOKE Mr. Ed and Wilbur are both tech savvy :rolleyes:
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Hey, Sal and Ed:

Back in the early 90's when I was with Joint Task Force-Full Accounting, I picked up one of these while working in Xieng Khouang province, Laos, and used it for a while in the field. We typically flew to a village at the start of each day, interviewed people who claimed to have information about POW/MIA loss incidents, and by the end of the day had often hiked to remote areas to survey aircraft crash sites or alleged burial areas. The remote areas didn't have clear landing zones for the helicopters, so we usually had to chop an LZ to get extracted. Clearing elephant grass and green bamboo taught me a lot about what I like and don't like in a field knife.

I started off going to the field with a GI-issue machete. The handle was too slick and blocky, so I re-handled it with scales I made from Hawaiian koa wood. As time went on, I began buying and using the blades used by the indigenous folks in Vietnam and Laos to see how they worked. One of the coolest was a long-handled, hooked-blade knife that worked as a chopper, a sickle, and a climbing hook when hiking up steep, muddy slopes.

The problem with all the Lao and Vietnamese knives I used was the heat treatment. Although the salvaged leaf spring steel they used was of decent quality, I saw bladesmiths working in bright sunlight and quenching blades in shallow pans. The resulting blades never realized their full potential.

Ultimately, I settled on a Blackjack Panga--a thin-bladed pointed machete that shared the same injection-molded rubber handles as the Mamba fixed blade. When I chopped with it, the blade "sang" with a beautiful pinging sound. That sound was very intimidating to my Lao and Vietnamese counterparts. Since we represented one of the last vestiges of Cold-War politics, I kinda liked that...

I'd love to see Ed tackle this knife for the Ethnic Series. He's a genius and I'm always blown away by his ability to faithfully translate cultural patterns to modern EDC blades.

Stay safe,

Mike
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

Michael Janich wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:28 am
Hey, Sal and Ed:

Back in the early 90's when I was with Joint Task Force-Full Accounting, I picked up one of these while working in Xieng Khouang province, Laos, and used it for a while in the field. We typically flew to a village at the start of each day, interviewed people who claimed to have information about POW/MIA loss incidents, and by the end of the day had often hiked to remote areas to survey aircraft crash sites or alleged burial areas. The remote areas didn't have clear landing zones for the helicopters, so we usually had to chop an LZ to get extracted. Clearing elephant grass and green bamboo taught me a lot about what I like and don't like in a field knife.

I started off going to the field with a GI-issue machete. The handle was too slick and blocky, so I re-handled it with scales I made from Hawaiian koa wood. As time went on, I began buying and using the blades used by the indigenous folks in Vietnam and Laos to see how they worked. One of the coolest was a long-handled, hooked-blade knife that worked as a chopper, a sickle, and a climbing hook when hiking up steep, muddy slopes.

The problem with all the Lao and Vietnamese knives I used was the heat treatment. Although the salvaged leaf spring steel they used was of decent quality, I saw bladesmiths working in bright sunlight and quenching blades in shallow pans. The resulting blades never realized their full potential.

Ultimately, I settled on a Blackjack Panga--a thin-bladed pointed machete that shared the same injection-molded rubber handles as the Mamba fixed blade. When I chopped with it, the blade "sang" with a beautiful pinging sound. That sound was very intimidating to my Lao and Vietnamese counterparts. Since we represented one of the last vestiges of Cold-War politics, I kinda liked that...

I'd love to see Ed tackle this knife for the Ethnic Series. He's a genius and I'm always blown away by his ability to faithfully translate cultural patterns to modern EDC blades.

Stay safe,

Mike
I was interested in a folder till now. This needs to be a fixed blade 1000%