Ideal blade thickness for your EDC folder?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Airlsee

Ideal blade thickness for your EDC folder?

Post by Airlsee »

4mm? 2mm? What and why? How much does length & weight play a part? I understand everyone's needs are different, just curious as to how the community feels.
So it goes.
brainfriction

Re: Ideal blade thickness for your EDC folder?

Post by brainfriction »

I feel like 3.5mm (Manix, PM2, etc) is just about perfect for my needs. Good balance of strength and weight. Some of these ridiculously large, overbuilt folders make me wonder if someone can't decide between a pry bar or a pocket knife, lol.
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

I think the Manix and PM2 are just right for longer heavier knives mine are FFG. I can use those knives for anything. I wouldn’t want to try some things with them though. A smaller, shorter blade (height and length) would be more useful for some tasks. In a smaller knife the DF2 and Chapparal are much thinner and just right. So for me it’s the size of the knife, the use case, that determines “ideal blade thickness”. Interesting question. I hope you get a lively discussion going on the topic.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

2 to 3 millimeters. Anything bigger is overkill and can impact performance, I believe. At the very least, it isn't necessary for a folding edc utility knife. 3 millimeters is fine and pretty standard. Especially for a utility knife. I prefer for them to be around 2 millimeters like the chaparral or around that mark. Most knives don't have that though.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Certainly not: Cutting Edge: 2.63", Blade Thickness: 0.150". :rolleyes:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
vivi

Post by vivi »

2mm for me, even on longer knives like the Police and Millie. The only thing thicker blades do better is get stuck in things I'm cutting.

Centofante XL? Catcherman Sprint? Diet Millie?

:D

I'm looking at getting my custom fixed blade design made by a custom maker, and I'm specifically requesting 2mm blade stock. I love the Izula but it really needs to hit the gym.
:unicorn
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Vivi wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:26 pm
2mm for me, even on longer knives like the Police and Millie. The only thing thicker blades do better is get stuck in things I'm cutting.
;) :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Vivi wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:26 pm

Centofante XL? Catcherman Sprint? Diet Millie?

:D

I'm looking at getting my custom fixed blade design made by a custom maker, and I'm specifically requesting 2mm blade stock. I love the Izula but it really needs to hit the gym.
I'd love a 2mm 3 knife set. 2mm Chaparral size folder, 2mm military size folder, and 3.5 to 4 inch fixed blade with 2mm stock. All with the same general shape, colors, and shape.

I also want a 2mm serrated.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
sinnyc

Post by sinnyc »

2.5mm-ish. I'm a huge Manix fan and have 7 of them. The only thing I'd change on them is blade thickness - just a liiiittle thinner and it would be utter perfection.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

2mm for me. I love the Chaparral and would kill for a Stretch with a 2mm thick blade.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

Put me aquare in the 2mm camp. I can't think of anything I do with a folder where a thicker blade would work better.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I like reground blades for the fact that you can still have a 4mm pivot and tang while having a thinner blade.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
elena86

Post by elena86 »

2-2.5 mm...perfect ...more than 2.5 is overkill...but, that's not enough ....the thinner behind the edge the better.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

2mm for day to day EDC. If I know I'm doing home repair or bumming around some outdoor area I'll take the Manix 2 instead.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

2.0mm to 2.5mm would be my preference for 3”-4” bladed folders.

EvilD makes a good point about thicker tangs/thinner blades. Not only does this stabilize the pivot but it helps lock geometry, especially so for liner and compression locks.
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

I'd just love to see Spyderco start reducing their behind the edge thickness
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

2mm thickness for an EDC-blade would also be my way to go ... but unfortunately it fails due to appropriate offers from :spyder: company.
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I have gotten by with Opinel and other knives with thinner blades but my ideal would be in the 3.0-5 mm range. I know to some that sounds on the thick side.
embry386

Post by embry386 »

I haven't taken the time to look up blade thickness stats, but I'd like most of my knives more if they had about 1/3 their current thickness shaved off. I like thin slicey blades. Having them flat-ground would be even better. It's generally not a major issue for me though, because I know I can always send them somewhere to get reground if it really starts bothering me. Unless the knife is DLC and the regrind would mess up the blades. That's when I get more irritated that it didn't come thinner from the factory.

Both my current favorite EDC blades are neither particularly thin nor flat-ground though, so, that just goes to show that those things aren't particularly important factors for me -- I'll go for the lightweight knives with ergos that fit my hands, regardless of the blade thickness and grind.
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

about 2-3mm. The Millie is 4, but tapers pretty well. Can't imagine me breaking it even if it was 3mm