Native 5 SE in S35VN

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Fixmeister

Native 5 SE in S35VN

Post by Fixmeister »

I have a question about a knife I just ordered. I didn’t do a lot of research before I pulled the trigger on a DLC Native 5 with the SE. A lot of 1sts for me... as in my 1st Spyderco with a SpyderEdge. And my 1st Native 5. And now that it’s ordered, I’m a little concerned about the combo.

This will be a work knife used for general box opening and breakdown, package opening, band & tie strap cutting and the like. There aren’t a lot of reviews on S35VN in SE but there are in H1. And the reviews are very positive. But S35VN is an entirely different steel and certainly not as tough as H1. I was looking for something different from my Paras (S110V, REX 45, M4) and Dragonfly and Delica (ZDP-189) and this filled the bill. But is this edge going to be fragile? I’m concerned about a few reviews indicating it’s chippy or didn’t cut well (mostly bad English reviews on Amazon). But still...

Anybody have one of these and can comment on the durability of S35VN in SE?

Tom
dsvirsky

Re: Native 5 SE in S35VN

Post by dsvirsky »

Relax. The S35VN Native 5 SE will do the job just fine.
Fixmeister

Post by Fixmeister »

Great. Thanks.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

It's plenty tough. Just don't do anything dumb with it. Not as tough as H1 and probably less tough than vg10. But shouldn't be bad. No broken teeth on mine which basically only cuts cardboard.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

Fixmeister wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:59 pm
I have a question about a knife I just ordered. I didn’t do a lot of research before I pulled the trigger on a DLC Native 5 with the SE. A lot of 1sts for me... as in my 1st Spyderco with a SpyderEdge. And my 1st Native 5. And now that it’s ordered, I’m a little concerned about the combo.

This will be a work knife used for general box opening and breakdown, package opening, band & tie strap cutting and the like. There aren’t a lot of reviews on S35VN in SE but there are in H1. And the reviews are very positive. But S35VN is an entirely different steel and certainly not as tough as H1. I was looking for something different from my Paras (S110V, REX 45, M4) and Dragonfly and Delica (ZDP-189) and this filled the bill. But is this edge going to be fragile? I’m concerned about a few reviews indicating it’s chippy or didn’t cut well (mostly bad English reviews on Amazon). But still...

Anybody have one of these and can comment on the durability of S35VN in SE?

Tom
No experience with SE but S35VN is quite good IME. I have 2 different knives with that steel and they are both great cutters. I hope you post after you have used your knife and share how it’s going. I don’t carry my Native 5 very often but it’s a very good size and blade shape for EDC.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

It's actually pretty tough from my experience. It performs well and sharpens up pretty easily with ceramic rods. I've been abusing mine since 2013 i mean using. I'm not sure why spyderco decided to drop S35VN from the line up.

I've cut steel cans with it and it doesn't take much damage. It can still cut through 1/4" and 1/2" rope after. Usually requires a little touch up and it's good to go.
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

I have one and it chipped one of the fine teeth while cutting vegetables on the cutting board. I just saw a tiny shiny thing stuck in the cutting board: it was the point of the serration. Still cuts as if nothing happened.
I don't use it anymore as this was the knife I had on me when my son was born, so I'll pass it to him when proper age comes.
Fixmeister

Post by Fixmeister »

Thanks for the replies. All good stuff.

My only other experience with serrations was with a Kershaw Blur in one of the Sandvik steels. That knife was/is soft. And the serrations were more rippled and not like the SE with the combo of small teeth and a generous valley. My Spydercos (and other brands) in S30V with a PE have been trouble free. The Blur I stopped carrying. And I have limited experience with S35VN. And... I was thinking that the SE might be subject to local tooth hardening at the SE like the H1 does. I guess that’s why I was concerned.

The knife will be here early next week so I’ll holler back when I’ve given it a chance to cut.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I have a serrated edge Native 5 in S35VN. This is my only fully serrated knife. It seems as though the edge gets better after a few sharpenings.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
embry386

Post by embry386 »

If I remember correctly, S35VN is something like 20% tougher than Spyderco's standard S30V steel, which they use in basically everything they make. There haven't been a bunch of complaints about S30v teeth breaking, so you're probably safe. ;)

My first Spydie was exactly the knife you just bought, DLC Native 5 SE in S35VN. I've used it pretty hard and it's still in nearly the same shape it was in when I bought it. Bit duller, one or two tiny nicks on the edge. No broken teeth.
Fixmeister

Post by Fixmeister »

It’s scheduled to arrive tomorrow (Monday) so... I’m anxious to test it out. I have no intention of torture testing it but am curious about how it will cut and how it will hold up. My Sharpmaker will be my go-to for sharpening since my Tormek and Wicked Edge won’t be helpful. It’ll be fun. And if the Native is good in the hand, it might be the 1st of many.

Thanks for all the responses.

Tom