Salt 2 or wait native salt (SE)?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
fliptide

Salt 2 or wait native salt (SE)?

Post by fliptide »

I am new around here so bare with me.
I just caught the gotta have more knives bug again :)

I am partial to the 3"-ish blades and currently have:
D4 (PE)
salt 1 (SE)
cara cara 2 (PE)
Hawksbill (SE x2)
Just ordered para 3 (CE, couldnt make up mind between SE/PE).

I had my mind set on all black salt 2 as a partner to the salt 1 and for the EDC rotation. Well then I see the upcoming Native 5 salt in LC200.
On one hand the H! SE has proven itself to be an incredible blade and sways me to the salt 2......BUT I narrowly chose to order the para 3 over a native 5 and don't have one, which swings me to the native salt. Seems most folks are waiting to see how the lc200 performs in SE....

Sooo, Salt 2 or hold off and see what the native 5 salt (SE) is all about?
Sorry for the long post, this can be addictive!
embry386

Re: Salt 2 or wait native salt (SE)?

Post by embry386 »

Hello!

I'd say hold off and wait for the Native Salt, and if you don't like the way it feels in hand, return it or sell it and get the Salt 2 instead. Once you buy a knife, you aren't locked in to keeping it forever, you can change your mind if you want. Or save up and get both of them ;)

I'm going to be selling a bunch of my Natives I think, really enjoyed them at the time but now I've discovered models I like even more, and I could use the money I sunk into all those Natives. Still keeping a few though, they're nice little knives even though I've realized I like longer ones better.
vivi

Post by vivi »

As far as I know there have been no talks about a SE Native Salt. I've only seen reports of PE being made.

You could check out the SE Caribbean, but it's a bit bigger than you prefer. I think they're 3.75" blades.

Hard to go wrong with a SE Salt of any flavor. I'd get one of them now and keep your ear open for any SE Native announcements.
:unicorn
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

If it's going to be available (see above post), I'd wait.

You are not cutting yourself off from getting a Salt 2 if you don't like it.

Or do what I did with a forum member looking to buy a Salt 2, I said I'd take it if he didn't like it.
Which I did after he had tried it for a week.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

The Salt 2 is my current favourite. It has less pointy serrations than the Salt 1. Fantastic handle. I just bought a PE to go with my SE. you’ll really like it, I’m sure.
- best wishes, Jazz.
fliptide

Post by fliptide »

Thanks for the feedback! I am going to try and wait it out for the native. What's the worst thing that can happen? Buy both! Not bad as long as the wife doesn't know.

I have seen the serrated native listed as C41SYL5. Only showing up on a couple sites for pre-order. Native listed as ~$35 more than salt 2.
carrot

Post by carrot »

I have a Salt 2 right now but I am really looking forward to the Salt 2 Jazz edition and the Native Salt.

IMHO you already have the Salt 1 which is an awesome blade so you can afford to wait for something a little new and different.

If you can’t wait for a new knife, the Dragonfly 2 Salt is a sweet choice- it’s a very thin blade and an awesome summer shorts or vacation EDC. This one finds itself in my pockets very regularly and is a great pair for a bigger knife.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I gifted the Salt 2 to a friend and he loves it. He's not a knife fanatic but uses it daily and isn't gentle on it. I've sharpened it a few times since (which gives me opportunity to evaluate how it's surviving his uses) and apart from some scratches on the DLC it's holding up great.

Between the two, the Native fits my fingers better so ergonomics feels better, but if my hand size fit the Salt 2 better I might choose it. I'm also very comfortable with H1 so that's a plus, but I'm also anxious to try out LC200N so the Native is interesting in that regard. It's really a win win, I'd choose the one that feels best in hand.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

The salt 2 is currently my EDC and my favorite. It's light, the blade has a good shape and I can use it and pocket it wet without thinking about it.
Definitely want to try the LC Native 5 if it ever comes in an all black version.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Fliptide,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i love my pacific salt, but mostly for its length, low maintenance, serrations, and because it’s all black. the only thing i don’t like about it is the grip ergonomics. there’s not really anything wrong with it, but it doesn’t disappear in my hand the way my manix does. for that reason, and because i’d like a plain edge knife with low maintenance and great ergonomics, i’m looking forward to the native salt. i’d be way more excited about it if it were offered in black as well, but i’m excited to try a native and lc200n.
that said, if you already like your pe delica, you’ll love a se salt 2. in. or sure i’d worry to much about increased performance with se lc200n. sal has said se h1 outperforms pretty much all other steels (it was a while ago, so that may not be as true now) in edge retention. in any case, you can’t go wrong with se h1 and the salt 2 will be cheaper that the native salt and is available now. who knows when the native salt will arrive or if it will even be made available in se...?
enjoy whatever you decide on. you can’t really make a wrong choice here.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C