Glesser custom

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
supracor

Glesser custom

Post by supracor »

Will we ever see a Sal Glesser custom knife?

I'll buy it ;) :spyder:
Mushroom

Re: Glesser custom

Post by Mushroom »

The Police 4 might be that knife.

:spyder:
-Nick :bug-red
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

We see a lot of Sal Glesser "customs" as production knives
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

How about the upcoming Respect Bowie?
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Lots of different meanings floating around of "custom knife". Do you mean hand made by the man himself? :D

supracor

Post by supracor »

abbazaba wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:55 am
Lots of different meanings floating around of "custom knife". Do you mean hand made by the man himself?

That's right ;)

Fantastic knife; it resembles a Buck 110 :D
sal

Post by sal »

I forged for a while, but not too many knives made. Most of my designs that I feel are "good enough", I will usually make a production run, like the Respect.

sal
supracor

Post by supracor »

sal wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:53 pm
I forged for a while, but not too many knives made. Most of my designs that I feel are "good enough", I will usually make a production run, like the Respect.

sal

It'd be interesting see some of your knives :)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

abbazaba wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:55 am
Lots of different meanings floating around of "custom knife". Do you mean hand made by the man himself? :D

I always thought it would be cool if they did a production model as close to that as possible while improving the obvious stuff and make it a mid lock but make the dimensions and general shape Exactly the same.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

That modified knife is a Basic Tools with a 440C blade, and unknown stainless scales.
I had a few in different sizes, and I still have later versions with guards and rosewood scales.
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

There are a few in evilbay, but here is a video...
https://youtu.be/zFmzP8eSexQ
sal

Post by sal »

I modified an existing knife to test proof of concept. I welded a piece of drill rod to the blade, reground with a hard wheel grinder and drilled the hole with a hand drill. Did it about 10:00 pm at the office. Took a break from paying bills. Worked long days back then. (1979). Gail was pregnant with Eric.

sal
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

You should do a collab and make them for real :)
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

sal wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:19 pm
I modified an existing knife to test proof of concept. I welded a piece of drill rod to the blade, reground with a hard wheel grinder and drilled the hole with a hand drill. Did it about 10:00 pm at the office. Took a break from paying bills. Worked long days back then. (1979). Gail was pregnant with Eric.

sal
I really hope you write a book! :)
KnickKnackCity

Post by KnickKnackCity »

I cant wait for the Respect. I hope we get to see a photo of Sal's hand forged piece to compare to the production specimen.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

sal wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:53 pm

sal
Speaking of, are we any closer to a release date?
Or next year maybe?
sal

Post by sal »

KnickKnackCity wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:42 am
I cant wait for the Respect. I hope we get to see a photo of Sal's hand forged piece to compare to the production specimen.
Most are forged just blades / tangs. The project was to learn to/and understand the forging process.

sal
elena86

Post by elena86 »

sal wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:19 pm

sal

Instead of a custom what about a flash batch XL Dragonfly (2.75 inch blade) with your signature etched on the handle Sal ? That would be awesome and feasible :)

P.S I said it before : you were visited by gods when you designed the Dragonfly :spyder:
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Marius,

That's pretty close to the Chaparral in size. When I designed the D'Fly, it was in response to customers asking for something between the Ladybug and the Delica. It was a challenging concept because of the shorter knives having insufficient handle length for good purchase. (To me, a safety issue). I decided to employ an idea that I learned from Moki Sakurai, the finger choil. Old man Moki designed a knife for Kershaw, back in the early 80's, that was a small knife, with a finger choil.

Purchase is always an issue for me as, in my opinion, a secure grip is much safer for handling a very sharp blade (which ours are).

sal
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

sal wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:24 am
Purchase is always an issue for me as, in my opinion, a secure grip is much safer for handling a very sharp blade (which ours are).

sal
Yes. My feelings too. There is much more discussion of blades — steels, shape, Length — than handles. Although blade shape and length are important factors for me I am more concerned with the handle. My current favorites, which get constantly used, are the Rhino, Para Military 2 and Lil’ Native. They stand out because of the handle components and ergonomics. I have ordered a Lil’ Lum G10 after selling my Nishijin model solely because of the handle. I like the knife, the blade, the ergonomics and the Lum design but the Nishijin did not have the purchase security I wanted.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation