The ultimate noob sharpening setup. W/Pics!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tps3443

The ultimate noob sharpening setup. W/Pics!

Post by tps3443 »

I couldn’t free hand! So I ordered this stuff to help me out. I was on a budget, so I got what I could.

what are the side effects of ammonia

Last edited by tps3443 on Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“My daily razor blade”
Microtech Stitch CTS-204P stonewashed blade
Microtech Dirac Delta CTS-204P Black DLC
^Wicked Edge guided system^
JD Spydo

Re: The ultimate noob sharpening setup. W/Pics!

Post by JD Spydo »

I've heard good about the "Wicked Edge" sharpening system and I'm sure it's a great tool. But I've also heard some of the guys swear by the "Edge Pro" system. I'm leaning toward getting an Edge Pro myself because that system enables you to use your own stones much better.

But I have no doubt that both units are great tools and I'm sure that the "Wicked Edge" will do you a fine job. Just one little warning however>> you sure better get some diamond stones to go with that Wicked Edge unit>> because these newer supersteels are getting harder and harder to sharpen and I'm personally finding out that "diamonds can be our best friend" when dealing with these supersteels. Even the older Crucible 440V which is a monster to sharpen without diamond stones for reprofiling. Good Luck and keep us posted as to how it works out for you.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Good on you tps!

I’m not familiar with your system but I’m a little adverse to any system that utilises a clamp, having used a Lansky for about a decade in times gone by.

I found it was fairly easy to clamp a blade out of plumb in the Lansky. I’m sure the clamp on your WE is superior but I’d still double check the blade is indeed clamped plumb before I started grinding.

Happy Sharpening! :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
tps3443

Post by tps3443 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:48 pm
I've heard good about the "Wicked Edge" sharpening system and I'm sure it's a great tool. But I've also heard some of the guys swear by the "Edge Pro" system. I'm leaning toward getting an Edge Pro myself because that system enables you to use your own stones much better.

But I have no doubt that both units are great tools and I'm sure that the "Wicked Edge" will do you a fine job. Just one little warning however>> you sure better get some diamond stones to go with that Wicked Edge unit>> because these newer supersteels are getting harder and harder to sharpen and I'm personally finding out that "diamonds can be our best friend" when dealing with these supersteels. Even the older Crucible 440V which is a monster to sharpen without diamond stones for reprofiling. Good Luck and keep us posted as to how it works out for you.
It is primarily for my S110V PM2, I wouldn’t have bought it if it didn’t include diamond stones.

It includes 200 grit diamond, and 600 grit diamond stones. I also ordered the 800/1000 grit diamond with 10/14 micron diamond leather strops.

I just sharpened my Tenacious, and put the sharpest edge I’ve ever done in my life, by my self on a knife ever!

I’ve got $370 bucks invested in this system if you include the angle finder, and additional wicked edge stones etc.

It is WORTH IT!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!
“My daily razor blade”
tps3443

Post by tps3443 »

I can finally keep my knives sharp. It was a little pricey.. but I’m that bad a free hand grinding! I’m blown away!
“My daily razor blade”
Joey

Post by Joey »

Happy new edge day to you! I’m also new to sharpening, and I recently got a KME system, myself. I’m having fun making new clean edges. I bought a sharpmaker, but found myself needing a guided system when doing anything outside of edge maintenance.
I’m also impressed with using strop tape on some leather after I’ve created the edge. It really gives the edge a good bite, and can help keep your edge longer. I use strop tape designed for use on the edge pro. I just stick them on an old belt I cut up, and strop away. I also have some 4” glass blanks that fit into my KME system, but I find the extra 2” really helps, and stropping is easier to do free hand than sharpening.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I really want an upgraded guided sharpener like the EP or WE but with what I have invested in freehand stones, I just can't justify the cost. It does produce some beautifully polished edges though.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

tps3443 wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:27 pm
I can finally keep my knives sharp. It was a little pricey.. but I’m that bad a free hand grinding! I’m blown away!
Over the years I've found out the hard way that when buying and using top quality sharpening tools>> it's truly one sector that you do indeed get what you pay for. All of my really good sharpening tools I've accrued over the years were all pricey. But the really good stuff will most generally last you a lifetime if you take proper care of it. When it comes to stones ( with the exception of diamond stones) I've found that cleaning them often will give you optimal results. On any of my Spyderco ceramic stones I don't sharpen over two blades before I give it a thorough cleaning with Bar Keeper's Friend cleanser.

When buying diamond stones I only use Norton, 3M, DMT and Spyderco/EzeLap. I've not yet used any of the Atomas diamond stones but I've heard good things about them. But don't look for bargains when buying diamond stones. You truly get what you pay for. And on ceramic stones I've only found that Spyderco, Cerahone and DMT have stones of any quality to speak of. Quality is truly the name of the game when getting sharpening equipment and you will pay for good quality tools period.
tps3443

Post by tps3443 »

Great setup to expand with.
“My daily razor blade”
tps3443

Post by tps3443 »

I would have purchased a KME, almost did. But, I really needed 15 degree angles. I think KME is limited to 17 degrees.

I can get about 13.95 degrees with this easily.

The KME does include a better stone selection for being included right out of the box though.
“My daily razor blade”
toxophilus

Post by toxophilus »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:48 pm
JD, If you're thinking about getting an Edge Pro and you'd like to try one out before you decide PM me. I've got one sitting here that I can loan you to try out if you'd like.
tps3443

Post by tps3443 »

I’m very satisfied with my edge pro. First try, got my Tenacious shaving sharp in like 6 minutes including a regrind to 15dps
Last edited by tps3443 on Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“My daily razor blade”
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

My Edgepro is about to hit the market, I didn't care for it. Bought a set of diamond triangles for my Sharpmaker.

Works for me.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
tps3443

Post by tps3443 »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:06 pm
My Edgepro is about to hit the market, I didn't care for it. Bought a set of diamond triangles for my Sharpmaker.

Works for me.

I meant my wicked edge. Stupid auto correct on phones lol I don’t own a edge pro.
“My daily razor blade”
atv223

Post by atv223 »

tps3443 wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:40 pm
I would have purchased a KME, almost did. But, I really needed 15 degree angles. I think KME is limited to 17 degrees.

The KME does include a better stone selection for being included right out of the box though.
I may be wrong about his, but I've read if you flip something over on the KME it'll do 15 or less.

https://youtu.be/7cOpzt2C8OU
tps3443

Post by tps3443 »

atv223 wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:26 pm
tps3443 wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:40 pm

I may be wrong about his, but I've read if you flip something over on the KME it'll do 15 or less.

https://youtu.be/7cOpzt2C8OU
I had ordered a KME and cancelled the order. I changed my mind at the last minute, and went for this entry level Wicked Edge with some good accessories. I’m not gonna lie, the KME was a better value with everything it included for about $179. As the price on the wicked edge with the similar equivalent stones I purchased is really twice the cost. But, it works. And I don’t have to rotate the knife either

I see no point in getting these crazy expensive Wicked edge machines. I’m just gonna expand on this one.
“My daily razor blade”
Fixmeister

Post by Fixmeister »

That was my plan too. I hit a milestone birthday and bought a WE. Already had/have a Tormek. And bench stones. And a Lansky. And a Harbor Freight belt sander with leather strop. I was already able to sharpen most anything to ridiculous sharpness. But, I wanted better and more predictable. So I got a pro-pack set and added a few things. (There is NO way to justify all the expense, so let’s call it a hobby with a side order of obsession)

But I had trouble clamping my PM2 with its FFG and distal taper. I ended up upgrading the system to the gen 3 jaws. WAY better. Your results may vary. It’s a great system and you’ve already found success. Stick with it and get good at it. There are other systems and everyone has their favorites. They will all produce silly sharp edges... yours included. Perfect your ability with practice. It’s good stuff. Congratulations.

Tom
tps3443

Post by tps3443 »

There’s a technique to clamping the blade straight, and tight, where it doesn’t move side to side. I used a small bubble level, while holding the blade even in the jaws and tightened it really good. It was pretty straightforward for me.
“My daily razor blade”
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Wicked edge and "on a budget" in the same sentence? What am I missing here?

But it should be a great system. Someday I hope to get the KME. Whenever I start reading about these guided sharpening systems I hear about aftermarket stones and diamond compound on carrier sheets, and laser guided missiles and my brain heats up and I just say the heck with it and stick with the sharpmaker.
KnickKnackCity

Post by KnickKnackCity »

Congrats tps. Looks like you've got a fine setup there. Keep reporting back on how it works out for ya with lots of pics of course