Ignore feature?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
tvenuto

Re: Ignore feature?

Post by tvenuto »

Definitely guilty of feeding them. I partially blame having a newborn. You’re up at all hours and often with not much to do, so you look at the forums, and of course post more. More posting leads to more potential friction and yet more posting. It’s also hard to see what you wrote misinterpreted or flat out twisted. Of course, who cares, right? It’s best just to let it go.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

tvenuto wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:13 pm
Definitely guilty of feeding them. I partially blame having a newborn. You’re up at all hours and often with not much to do, so you look at the forums, and of course post more. More posting leads to more potential friction and yet more posting. It’s also hard to see what you wrote misinterpreted or flat out twisted. Of course, who cares, right? It’s best just to let it go.
I’m guilty too.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Sharp Guy, thank you for the kind words. I have also been posting less because life has been hectic. Fall chores, firewood, family visiting, traveling, camping and finally going back to work after two years as a stay at home dad. I have just had very little free time and when I have gotten on the forum I see a bunch of bickering and just sign out. I definitely haven’t slowed down buying knives. :D

TV, hang in there. It will all be worth it soon. I am not a baby person and my boy was colicky for the first six months. It was rough. After that it just kept getting better and from about 2 yrs old onward it just keeps getting better. He is almost four now and the last two years have been the most rewarding and enjoyable years of my life. It is bittersweet that he is in preschool now and that I am back to work full time. It is true, they grow up so fast.

Michael, hang in there. Nobody is perfect and you have a lot to deal with right now. We are all sending positive energy your way. Don’t let people get to you and just remember, you can’t fix stupid but you can ignore it.

After five years on here I had only put one person on ignore (and sadly they are still here doing the same old bs, ugh) but in the past six months I have added a half dozen more. I was trying to decide if it was me who changed or if it was the atmosphere here. I have always been a “water off a ducks back” kind of guy but I wasn’t sure if that had changed a little. After a little reflection and a bit of just watching the forum I still am not sure but without a doubt we have a few more regular trolls here lately.

Anyway, I am not trying to call anybody out with my previous post or assign blame but just hoping to provide a little advice and constructive criticism that may turn things around a little.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Darby,

It’s not you. I suspect these things run in cycles. I have a tendency to get involved with rude and stupid. I’m trying to stop. Thanks for the reminder.

Be glad you got a couple of years with your kids. I was in the road too much but it all worked out. We talk frequently and see one another when we can.

Don’t go away. Need your knowledge and insights.

Best,

Michael
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:41 pm
TV, hang in there. It will all be worth it soon. I am not a baby person and my boy was colicky for the first six months. It was rough. After that it just kept getting better and from about 2 yrs old onward it just keeps getting better. He is almost four now and the last two years have been the most rewarding and enjoyable years of my life. It is bittersweet that he is in preschool now and that I am back to work full time. It is true, they grow up so fast.
Thanks for the encouragement. I have a 3.5 year old daughter so I’ve been through this before. I remember the first time she smiled at me (intentionally) and I was like “oh that’s why people do this.” My son is a pretty good baby, but he’s still in that eat/sleep/chill/cry phase, where he’s doing one of those at all times. If he hits the fussy in the middle of the night I stay up with him. It’s not all that bad, but when you whole job is to be a baby’s bed, you spend a lot of time on your phone and on forums. Then you post more and read more and have more opportunity to get into meaningless scraps over minutiae.

It’s all good, though, still largely a good group of people here. I think the increased friction is partially due to our absolute glut of info nowadays. We skim everything, and don’t take time to really read and comprehend. We fire off responses just as fast. So misinterpretations get echoed and amplified until we arrive at the same old destination: an argument about arguing. Even if the discord is momentary it sits there forever and then people join in after the fact and it all makes it seem worse than it really is.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Please pardon my ignorance and the answer is likely somewhere here, but what does the foe/ignore feature actually do? :o

I have no intention of using the feature but I’m curious as to how it works.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
bearfacedkiller

It just hides a person’s posts so you don’t have to read them.

It works a bit different on each forum. On bladeforums they vanish without a trace. On here their posts show up with a message saying that their post is hidden and if you want you can click on it and read it anyway. I do usually read them anyway but having to click to see it is a reminder that I am probably better off not engaging that person.

The strange thing about using ignore on this forum is that a person you have on ignore can still quote you and if someone quotes a person you have on ignore the quoted message isn’t blocked. Seems odd and ineffective but in the end I just use it as reminder not to engage certain people rather than to actually ignore them. Even a troll can offer insight at times. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Many Thanks Killer!

Good to see you posting again. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
colin.p

Post by colin.p »

I "grew up" on BBS's and usenet from back in the early '90's where it truly was the wild west. There was no such thing as a MOD, you had to do the moderating yourself. I still operate that way.

I don't spend much time on this forum, so I am not too familiar with most here and as such have no one on an ignore list. On that other forum though, I have dozens. It makes whatever time I spend over there tolerable.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Why are Bladeforums people so rude? I’ve had enough. If someone angers me, I’m going to let them know. Not be rude back, but people need to know. Tired of people hiding behind their keyboards and lipping off.

Just like kids getting away with anything because they just get a “time out”, or some such crap. Sick and tired of it.

Am I being ridiculous?
- best wishes, Jazz.
colin.p

Post by colin.p »

Jazz wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:04 pm

Am I being ridiculous?
But that is the point of the "ignore" button, to ignore those kinds of people. Life is far too short to get upset and your blood pressure up over the antics of some keyboard warrior.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Jazz wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:04 pm
Why are Bladeforums people so rude? I’ve had enough. If someone angers me, I’m going to let them know. Not be rude back, but people need to know. Tired of people hiding behind their keyboards and lipping off.

Just like kids getting away with anything because they just get a “time out”, or some such crap. Sick and tired of it.

Am I being ridiculous?

But then you're "butt hurt" and you just can't handle the truth. People these days are real good at hiding behind what they believe is the truth and "telling it like it is" and using those as excuses to just be pricks to everyone. It all boils down to some need for self justification and attention and the more they piss you off the more attention they get. Literally the best thing you can do is ignore them and not give them that attention. It's the same with children who act up, they're too simple minded to separate between good and bad attention so it doesn't matter that you're yelling at them, you're giving them the attention they crave. Just like with kids who throw temper tantrums at the grocery store, the best method of dealing with it is acting like they don't exist and ignoring their negative behavior. If more people put these people on ignore for being idiots they would stop coming around or just change their attitudes.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
vivi

Post by vivi »

Well, antisemetic right wing conspiracy theorists aren't something I thought I had to deal with here, but my ignore list grew today.
:unicorn
awa54

Post by awa54 »

wow, the Tardis just phased out...
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
SG89

Post by SG89 »

What thread was this in?
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Vivi wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:54 pm
Well, antisemetic right wing conspiracy theorists aren't something I thought I had to deal with here, but my ignore list grew today.
You don't. The thread has been removed and I'm handling it.
awa54 wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:29 pm
The thread was removed in all honesty because numerous members crossed the line and took it in a political direction. We have very simple rules and unfortunately, one big one was ignored in several instances and again, not just by one member. It would have taken far too long to edit all the infractions.
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:05 pm
What thread was this in?
A thread that is no long viewable by members. ;)

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
vivi

Post by vivi »

You made the right call.
:unicorn
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Vivi wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:48 pm
You made the right call.

Agreed
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

TazKristi wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:47 pm
Vivi wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:54 pm
You don't. The thread has been removed and I'm handling it.
awa54 wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:29 pm
The thread was removed in all honesty because numerous members crossed the line and took it in a political direction. We have very simple rules and unfortunately, one big one was ignored in several instances and again, not just by one member. It would have taken far too long to edit all the infractions.
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:05 pm
What thread was this in?
A thread that is no long viewable by members. ;)

Kristi

I apologise for any contribution of mine in steering it into the swamp.

Chris.
bearfacedkiller

It was obvious that thread was going to go south. Glad it is gone and I hope that the most egregious offender is finally "handled". It has been a recurring issue for some time now.
-Darby